Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Is the quantity of my analysis a problem for you? I care about the Duke football program and have given way more analysis to other aspects of the program over the years. I also care about Duke, noting the false notes it sometimes strikes in certain areas (not saying it has done so here -- was legitimately questioning if maybe it somehow was).
    Reilly,

No, its the QUALITY of your analysis that is the problem. I have supported Wounded Warrior projects in other ways, and will support this one too. If you don't want to support, that is your problem, so don't do it. Your objections really have nothing to do with the Duke football program pro or con. So just stop posting on this subject -- please.

Quote Originally Posted by westwall View Post
    Reilly,

No, its the QUALITY of your analysis that is the problem. I have supported Wounded Warrior projects in other ways, and will support this one too. If you don't want to support, that is your problem, so don't do it. Your objections really have nothing to do with the Duke football program pro or con. So just stop posting on this subject -- please.
    Well I cannot pass up this opportunity. I think helping wounded warrior projects is terrific. My objections -- if I even have objections -- are not to helping those who have served and continue to serve us. That is fantastic to do. What I was wondering is why/how Duke -- in doing that good deed of helping others -- tied that good deed into raising money for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Well I cannot pass up this opportunity. I think helping wounded warrior projects is terrific. My objections -- if I even have objections -- are not to helping those who have served and continue to serve us. That is fantastic to do. What I was wondering is why/how Duke -- in doing that good deed of helping others -- tied that good deed into raising money for Duke.
    And I gave you a reason that is not about raising money for Duke. Paid attendance matters.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    So I'm really looking forward to the Northwestern game. In Cut's first year, NW beat us 24-20 in Wallace Wade, in one of those games that being a 4th (or even 3rd) quarter team would have helped us out.
    I've been up for this rematch ever since.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    So I'm really looking forward to the Northwestern game. In Cut's first year, NW beat us 24-20 in Wallace Wade, in one of those games that being a 4th (or even 3rd) quarter team would have helped us out.
    We were up 20-17 early in the 4th Quarter but couldn't seal the deal:

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf1/1...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    Bob Green

It's been an interesting rivalry.

Remember, Northwestern in the 1980s was as bad as Duke in the early part of this century.

Duke won the first six meetings between 1985-90. When the series resumed in 1995, Northwestern was a power (back-to-back Big Ten titles in '95 and '96) and won two of three meeting between 1995-98.

Duke lost in overtime in Cameron in '99, then came the Dark Ages -- during the dismal Carl Frank/Ted Roof era, Duke lost five straight, although the last win that Rood had at Duke was a 2007 win at Norhwestern.

The series stands at 8-8 after Northwestern's narrow win in 2008 in Cameron (a heartbreaking loss -- we had the winning TD called back by the penalty).

Northwestern has been consistently solid since the mid 1990s (10 bowl games since 1995). They did have a bit of an off-year in 2014, It will be interesting to see how they bounce back.

As I look at the series, I see that Duke pretty much dominated in the 1980s and Northwestern was pretty dominant in the early oughts, but that when both teams were competitive, it's been a hotly contested series. I would expect another close game ... I agree, it would be nice to get some payback for the '08 loss.

Oly, I must have missed those games in Cameron!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    It's been an interesting rivalry.

Remember, Northwestern in the 1980s was as bad as Duke in the early part of this century.

Duke won the first six meetings between 1985-90. When the series resumed in 1995, Northwestern was a power (back-to-back Big Ten titles in '95 and '96) and won two of three meeting between 1995-98.

Duke lost in overtime in Cameron in '99, then came the Dark Ages -- during the dismal Carl Frank/Ted Roof era, Duke lost five straight, although the last win that Rood had at Duke was a 2007 win at Norhwestern.

The series stands at 8-8 after Northwestern's narrow win in 2008 in Cameron (a heartbreaking loss -- we had the winning TD called back by the penalty).

Northwestern has been consistently solid since the mid 1990s (10 bowl games since 1995). They did have a bit of an off-year in 2014, It will be interesting to see how they bounce back.

As I look at the series, I see that Duke pretty much dominated in the 1980s and Northwestern was pretty dominant in the early oughts, but that when both teams were competitive, it's been a hotly contested series. I would expect another close game ... I agree, it would be nice to get some payback for the '08 loss.
    The Duke win at Northwestern in 2007 IIRC broke the longest losing streak in Div 1A football. I watched it from Colorado on the Big Ten network. Those announcers appeared to be pulling for Duke against the Big Ten team!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The Duke win at Northwestern in 2007 IIRC broke the longest losing streak in Div 1A football. I watched it from Colorado on the Big Ten network. Those announcers appeared to be pulling for Duke against the Big Ten team!
    Was that game played in Welsh-Ryan?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Was that game played in Welsh-Ryan?
    Here's the dope from the Wikipedia article on our 1-11 season. Northwestern should have scored on the final play, but Duke held on for a rare win.

September 15 8:00 PM at Northwestern* Ryan Field • Evanston, IL BTN W 20–14 23,716
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's the dope from the Wikipedia article on our 1-11 season. Northwestern should have scored on the final play, but Duke held on for a rare win.
    That Ryan guy must have been good. Welsh-Ryan is the arena the bball team plays in.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

thank goodness we didn't have any of those TDs called back this year! might have halted our national championship run!
    April 1

We went to several Duke-NW games in Evanston back in the 1980s or so (at least one Spurrier game). Their program was completely dead....looking for the ticket window before the game, we asked
    some guy where it was located and he just handed us two tickets and laughed about actually buying tickets)...since then we've also found it a fun place to go, a great school
    where you don't have to deal with mouth breathing moronic fans as you do at some places (e.g. UCONN)...good fans, nice town...I strongly recommend it, I think we play there in 2016...

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I think we play there in 2016...
    Sadly, the scheduling gods gave us back to back weeks at Northwestern and Notre Dame in 2016. If I'm picking one game to go to Chicago for, it would be the one in South Bend.

So it looks like only six home games again in 2016 in newly-renovated Wallace Wade. At least the conference home schedule looks good.

Agreed -

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Sadly, the scheduling gods gave us back to back weeks at Northwestern and Notre Dame in 2016. If I'm picking one game to go to Chicago for, it would be the one in South Bend.
    What an incredible game that would be to go to. It's not just about the game & match-up, it's about the history and tradition that is part of South Bend that make it a bucket list type of game to see.

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    What an incredible game that would be to go to. It's not just about the game & match-up, it's about the history and tradition that is part of South Bend that make it a bucket list type of game to see.
    Yeah, well, if it's anything like Duke's last trip to South Bend, it would barely be worth it...however things sure look better for us now, so I'm sure it would be fun. How about spending a week in
    Chicago (a bit more stuff to do than in Indiana) between games?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yeah, well, if it's anything like Duke's last trip to South Bend, it would barely be worth it...however things sure look better for us now, so I'm sure it would be fun. How about spending a week in
    Chicago (a bit more stuff to do than in Indiana) between games?
    I love visiting Chicago...during warm weather seasons. I could never live there though, I couldn't cut it in those crazy winters they have. There are worse ways to spend a week than that, great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    I love visiting Chicago...during warm weather seasons. I could never live there though, I couldn't cut it in those crazy winters they have. There are worse ways to spend a week than that, great idea!
    Of all the cities I have visited and stuff I've gawked at, I think I can say that the Chicago Architectural Tour on the Chicago River was one of the very best experiences ever.
    Absolutely fascinating, great view of the city from a different (water) perspective, and most importantly, absolutely the most knowledgeable tour guide I've EVER heard. Five stars, highest rating.

The only low point (which was quickly forgiven) was when the tour guide (after asking us where we were from) said "Oh, Vermont and New Hampshire are so alike!"
    That's like saying Duke and UNC are so alike.