Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    We kind of do go looking for some weak opponents but I don't think we're any worse at that than most teams.

8/12 of the schedule is from the ACC -- so we have no control over 67% of our schedule.

For the other four games, I read the other day how Duke said it looks for one Power 5 team (Northwestern), two non-P5 teams (Tulane, Army), and one FCS (Central).

So, for the 33% of the schedule we control (4/12), we're looking at 75% of that as being outside of the P5.
    Yeah, like Olympic said, we're still growing as a program, and BY FAR the biggest requirement we have (to keep improving our recruiting, which we have done every year) is to make it to
    a bowl. And the way you get to a bowl is with winning three or hopefully four OOC games, and then all you need, minimally, is to win two or three in conference games.
    Northwestern will provide a significant test for sure. If circumstances warrant it, we can upgrade our schedule in the future, but right now our scheduling is precisely appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    If circumstances warrant it, we can upgrade our schedule in the future, but right now our scheduling is precisely appropriate.
    We WILL be upgrading very soon.

In 2016 we play at Notre Dame, at Northwestern and Army at home (OOC), with Louisville showing up as our second Atlantic Division foe.

In 2017, we play Baylor and Northwestern in Wade, plus a road game at Army. And FSU comes on the schedule as our one variable Atlantic foe.

In 2018, we play at Baylor and at Northwestern with Army at home. Not sure of which Atlantic team we get -- its should be Clemson

In 2019 we get Notre Dame here and in 2020 we return to Notre Dame.

Is that strong enough for you guys?

A front loaded home schedule offers the opportunity for a new quarterback to get in a rhythm before being tested on the road. I think that is a break in our favour.

I'm very excited about the game at West Point - great for all of the alums in the northeast - Army is a fun place to see a game with all of the parades and other military traditions. And the leaves might be starting to change in mid-October. I highly recommend it for a road trip.

There are a lot of questions to be answered during spring practice such as who wins the job at quarterback, who steps up at wide receiver, will the infusion of young talent result in improved performance by the defensive line, so it is extremely premature to be talking win/loss predictions.

However, I am going to go slightly out on a limb and place the games into categories:

Should Win Games: Tulane, NCCU, Boston College, Army, Wake Forest
    Toss-Ups: Virginia Tech, Virginia, Pittsburgh, Northwestern*
    Tough Games: Georgia Tech, Miami, North Carolina

* I really wanted to put Northwestern in the "Should Win" category but they had impressive wins in 2014 against Wisconsin, Notre Dame and Penn State. My heart says "Should Win" category, while my head says "Toss-Up" category. The Northwestern game on September 19 (my 36th wedding anniversary) will be an early season Litmus Test.
    Bob Green

I'm hoping we have someone who can learn from Vagonius Thicket-Suede. That guy was a real surprise this year!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Season tickets are on sale online at http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=209501416 or by calling the ticket office at 919-681-BLUE:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Season tickets are on sale online at http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=209501416 or by calling the ticket office at 919-681-BLUE:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    Plus you can buy 2016 tix at 2015 prices.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I love this schedule. Frankly, as long as the divisions stay as is and as long as we get to keep Wake as a regular opponent from the other division, our ACC schedule is likely to remain friendly. And we've done a good job of keeping the non-con schedule relatively light weight. That is of utmost importance in terms of making sure we are bowl eligible.

The Georgia Tech and Boston College games will be tough physically on our defense (both teams like to pound the running game on offense). But realistically (and barring unforeseen crazy injury bad luck) we should win at least 7 games with that schedule, with a fighting chance in all of the other ones too.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I'm very excited about the game at West Point - great for all of the alums in the northeast - Army is a fun place to see a game with all of the parades and other military traditions. And the leaves might be starting to change in mid-October. I highly recommend it for a road trip.
    Cosign - I nearly jumped for joy before coming back down to earth and realizing that every one of my school-year weekends is dominated by my children's soccer and swimming events.

With the rising football tide, this could very well be a big bone thrown to the voluminous NY/NJ/CT area alums. I think CrazyNotCrazie's enthusiasm actually undersells the West Point visceral experience, that game is scheduled for the heart of fall foliage season and that setting is downright bucolic. Michie Stadium is on every published "college football venue bucket list". I need to try and make this event happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I love this schedule. Frankly, as long as the divisions stay as is and as long as we get to keep Wake as a regular opponent from the other division, our ACC schedule is likely to remain friendly. And we've done a good job of keeping the non-con schedule relatively light weight. That is of utmost importance in terms of making sure we are bowl eligible.

The Georgia Tech and Boston College games will be tough physically on our defense (both teams like to pound the running game on offense). But realistically (and barring unforeseen crazy injury bad luck) we should win at least 7 games with that schedule, with a fighting chance in all of the other ones too.
    The good news on BC is that this past year they started five grad students on the offensive line, so hopefully their running game this Fall is less robust.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The game time for Army has been announced. I'll take a noon kick any day as long as it isn't at home. For you west coasters, it's on CBS, so you can enjoy football with your eggs and bacon.

GAME TIME ANNOUNCEMENT: Our game at Army on Saturday, Oct. 10, will kick off at 12 p.m. ET and be televised by CBS Sports Network.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The game time for Army has been announced. I'll take a noon kick any day as long as it isn't at home. For you west coasters, it's on CBS, so you can enjoy football with your eggs and bacon.
    Just to be clear, the Duke-Army game is not on CBS ... it's on the CBS Sports Network, which is not quite as available. It's not in most basic cable packages. I know that on Time-Warner, you have to buy the extra sports package to get it.

The Duke-Tulane opener is also on the CBS Sports Network

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Tulane (Thurs.) 3-9
    NC CENTRAL 7-5
    NORTHWESTERN 5-7
    GEORGIA TECH 11-3 (6-2)
    BOSTON COLLEGE 7-6 (4-4)
    Army 4-8
    Virginia Tech 7-6 (3-5)
    MIAMI 6-7 (5-3)
    North Carolina 6-7 (4-4)
    PITT 6-7 (4-4)
    Virginia 5-7 (3-5)
    Wake Forest 3-9 (1-7)
    Football fans should be salivating all over this schedule. Know there are a lot of questions yet to be answered for the 2015 version of Duke football, but with the right mix of luck and a healthy does of Coach Cut, there is significant potential for a big bowl at the end of this schedule.

FWIW wanting to schedule easy opponents by a P5 team is weak sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Here are my initial reactions to the schedule:

1. Four home games in a row does not make me happy.
    2. The bye week is favorably scheduled with six games before and six games after.
    3. A fast start (5-1?) is possible.
    4. Finishing the regular season on the road at Virginia and at Wake Forest should be a good thing.

More thoughts later...
    I largely agree with your thoughts. Where are you on the second half of the schedule, 4-2?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

I think Duke's top end win total for 2015 is around 9 with a worse case somewhere around 7 as you speculated.

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    Where are you on the second half of the schedule, 4-2?
    I see the same formula for success as in 2013 and 2014. Duke needs to win the games they are suppose to win and steal one from someone along the way. So if we start strong (non-conference games and BC) and finish strong (Virginia and Wake Forest), the middle of the season will be the difference between a good season or a great season:

October 24 - @ Virginia Tech
    October 31 - Miami
    November 7 - @ North Carolina
    November 14 - Pitt

Win two of those four, and don't drop a game where we are favored along the way and a 9 or 10 win regular season is possible.

On paper, Georgia Tech in Wallace Wade on September 26 is our toughest game, but you know we beat those guys in Atlanta last season.
    Bob Green

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    For years, Wake Forest fans said things like, "it's great we always have Duke as a cross-divisional game." We need to return their kindness be repeating "it's great we always have Wake as a cross-divisional game" as often as possible. Take that, Deacs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    For years, Wake Forest fans said things like, "it's great we always have Duke as a cross-divisional game." We need to return their kindness be repeating "it's great we always have Wake as a cross-divisional game" as often as possible. Take that, Deacs.
    The Wake program spiraled downward quickly. Amazing how it collapsed under Jim Grobe, who did a great job for so long.

Dave Clawson inherited a mess. Last year he had to start a true freshman at QB and a two true freshmen on the offensive line. They had one of the worst running games in all of college football.

Yet, by the end of the year they were showing life -- just before losing to Duke in the finale, they beat Virginia Tech 6-3 on double OT. Most of those young guys are back, including Wohlford at QB, who should be light years better in his second season. Clawson is going to do a good job. Next year, Wake is a game Duke should win, but not a gimmie. In 2-3 years, it's going to be a tough game.

We are catching BC at a very good time. They not only lost that entire veteran offensive line, but they also lost their QB Murphy, who might have been the best running QB in college football. They were hit hard on defense too. Definitely a game Duke should win.

Season Opener @ Tulane

I ordered tickets today for our season opener against Tulane. . .figured Duke Football was a great excuse to get back to NOLA, where I haven't been since visiting the Superdome for the last Saints preseason game two days before Katrina. It's going to be swampy on September 2nd, but at least the game doesn't kick off until 8:30p local time.

Anyone else making the trip? Any thoughts/commentary from those who have been to Tulane home games in recent years?

Our fifth title in hoops still has me buzzing, but the anticipation of another promising gridiron slate has me buzzing nearly as much. Never thought I'd see the day.