Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thanks for that Budwom

I am going to a wedding in Chicago June 18-22. We are doing that tour, I almost begged off of it but I trust your opinion.

I cannot go to NU next year but I am trying to see if my cousin's husband Tom Gibbons will help me get behind the scenes at ND in 2016.

He was defensive captain of a Notre Dame National Championship team (with Joe Montana as offensive captain, I believe).

See you in September at the new Wally Wade. We just have to figure out where to tailgate, as our spot is no more.

Here are a couple of interesting articles on the Northwestern Wildcat's offense, which ask the question: Could losing veterans on offense actually help Northwestern?

http://www.insidenu.com/2015/5/27/86...p-northwestern

Connelly, a college football analytics guru for SB Nation, does not predict that NU's offense will necessarily benefit from less experienced replacements. He does, however, concede that as a possibility since the graduating starters "were part of a terribly disappointing unit." Still, he doesn't do so without acknowledging that "a bad offense that becomes less experienced doesn't leave you overflowing with optimism."
    Here is a link to the referenced Bill Connelly article:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...846.1434286268

And here is one more link, to an article which predicts 2015 will be a rebuilding year for the Wildcats:

http://www.insidenu.com/2015/5/7/856...846.1434286268

In all likelihood, this is not that year, and really, 2015 is an inconveniently timed rebuilding year. If Fitzgerald gets this team to 6-6, he will have time to build around his best recruiting classes ever for the next couple years. But if he doesn't, then NU fans and the administration will have an interesting decision: support a staff that has the tools to be successful in the future, or call for changes after three straight bad seasons.
    Bob Green

It is approximately 90 days to our home opener on September 12. Steady progress is being made on Wallace Wade Stadium renovations. When the grass turf starts going down, my excitement level is going to ramp up:

CHdkv8JWEAAfVSQ.jpg
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Of all the cities I have visited and stuff I've gawked at, I think I can say that the Chicago Architectural Tour on the Chicago River was one of the very best experiences ever.
    Absolutely fascinating, great view of the city from a different (water) perspective, and most importantly, absolutely the most knowledgeable tour guide I've EVER heard. Five stars, highest rating.
    I couldn't agree more. I did the evening cruise, and it was outstanding. I would do it again in a second, and told everyone of my family and friends about it.

Duke 12-1 to win ACC

Here's story from ESPN, which makes FSU the 5-2 favorite and rates Duke at 12-1.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's story from ESPN, which makes FSU the 5-2 favorite and rates Duke at 12-1.
    Looking at the numbers, I would assume those folks will have us preseason 4th in the Coastal, since GT (4-1), VT (8-1) and Miami (10-1) are each ahead of us in the odds.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

SBNation (Bill Connelly) with a good Duke preview. It is worth a read:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...ter/in/8521958

But ... hard jobs remain hard. When you are at Duke, with minimal margin for error, you end up having to prove yourself all over again every year.
    Biggest question mark: The pass-first efficiency offense wasn't efficient and must replace its quarterback and top two receivers.
    Biggest 2015 game: Bowl eligibility might be hard to come by with a home loss to Northwestern (Sept. 19)
    There are charts and graphs and stuff to read, both positive and negative, on this very hot day.
    Bob Green

Regarding pass efficiency (upon which Cut's offense has always been based) Boone simply was very inaccurate last year. No better way to say it. He missed
    a zillion short throws last year...I'm hoping Sirk can do better and suspect he can.

Regarding pass efficiency (upon which Cut's offense has always been based) Boone simply was very inaccurate last year. No better way to say it. He missed
    a zillion short throws last year...I'm hoping Sirk can do better and suspect he can.
    I love me some AB, and he was a great leader. Downfield passing accuracy was not his strongest attribute.

Not taking anything away from Anthony, but agree -- we could actually improve at QB. The question mark may be replaced by a few exclamation points at the position.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I love me some AB, and he was a great leader. Downfield passing accuracy was not his strongest attribute.

Not taking anything away from Anthony, but agree -- we could actually improve at QB. The question mark may be replaced by a few exclamation points at the position.
    He definitely took a step back last year. In 2013 he completed 64% of his passes, while last year only 56%. And a lot of those throws were relatively
    short passes. Sirk should be interesting, though I worry about his ability to hang on to the ball (based only on his very limited appearances).

He definitely took a step back last year. In 2013 he completed 64% of his passes, while last year only 56%. And a lot of those throws were relatively
    short passes. Sirk should be interesting, though I worry about his ability to hang on to the ball (based only on his very limited appearances).
    The difference between AB the Junior and AB the Senior felt drastic and not for the good. I had not looked up the stats, so thank you for sharing. I'm not surprised to see the regression spelled out in numbers. I think Sirk will have his fair share of growing pains, but I like his upside. He apparently throws a great deep ball, he's very athletic and is a threat to take it to the house with his wheels on any given play...that's a great asset. I'm both excited and nervous about the upcoming season. I'm hoping Duke makes a lot of analysts eat crow at the end of the season. That said, they are finally not automatically picking Duke to finish in the basement, that's a start in the right direction.

A Miami site previews the Duke game. They pick themselves to win but clearly take Duke seriously.

http://www.stateoftheu.com/2015/7/5/...e-preview-duke