Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

FB: 2015 Schedule

The ACC will announce the 2015 football schedule tomorrow at 1000.

B8dJlJFIYAAPffy.jpg
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The ACC will announce the 2015 football schedule tomorrow at 1000.

B8dJlJFIYAAPffy.jpg
    Sept. 3 at Tulane (Thurs.)
    Sept. 12 NC CENTRAL
    Sept. 19 NORTHWESTERN
    Sept. 26 GEORGIA TECH
    Oct. 3 BOSTON COLLEGE
    Oct. 10 at Army
    Oct. 17 OPEN
    Oct. 24 at Virginia Tech
    Oct. 31 MIAMI
    Nov. 7 at North Carolina
    Nov. 14 PITT
    Nov. 21 at Virginia
    Nov. 28 at Wake Forest

6 home games, with 4 of them in a row in the hottest month of the year.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Looks like a favorable schedule once again, another bowl season is upon us. Perhaps a ACC championship appearance and win!!!! Lets go DUKE Football!!!

Having GT and Miami at home is a big plus!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I like our schedule...and I like our November. I see the potential for going 4-4 close the year, which would be huge heading into a bowl. (I could also see us going 2-4.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I like our schedule...and I like our November. I see the potential for going 4-4 close the year, which would be huge heading into a bowl. (I could also see us going 2-4.)
    does that mean going 4 wins and 4 loses or 4 out of 4 games won? I would think going 4-4 as in 4 wins and 4 loses going into a bowl game would not be huge...

Initial Reactions

Here are my initial reactions to the schedule:

1. Four home games in a row does not make me happy.
    2. The bye week is favorably scheduled with six games before and six games after.
    3. A fast start (5-1?) is possible.
    4. Finishing the regular season on the road at Virginia and at Wake Forest should be a good thing.

More thoughts later...
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    does that mean going 4 wins and 4 loses or 4 out of 4 games won? I would think going 4-4 as in 4 wins and 4 loses going into a bowl game would not be huge...
    Winning all 4. We've not done that in November, and it would be huge going into a bowl game (and possibly the ACC championship game.)

ahhh gotcha, then I completely agree, winning all four would be epic!

Here is the complete conference schedule:

http://www.theacc.com/page/2015-acc-...ule-grid-style

None of our eight conference opponents have a bye week the week before playing Duke!
    Bob Green

Sept. 3 at Tulane (Thurs.)
    Sept. 12 NC CENTRAL
    Sept. 19 NORTHWESTERN
    Sept. 26 GEORGIA TECH
    Oct. 3 BOSTON COLLEGE
    Oct. 10 at Army
    Oct. 17 OPEN
    Oct. 24 at Virginia Tech
    Oct. 31 MIAMI
    Nov. 7 at North Carolina
    Nov. 14 PITT
    Nov. 21 at Virginia
    Nov. 28 at Wake Forest

6 home games, with 4 of them in a row in the hottest month of the year.
    Yea, that's brutal on our tailgating crew (), not to mention our players, but with Cut's emphasis on conditioning from the moment he arrived, I'm confident he'll have our guys ready.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

One of the concerns of last year was our weak schedule. Looking back at results of the teams that we'll be playing this year, I'm not sure that perception will change much.
    8 of the 12 teams we played finished with losing records. Three of those teams went bowling, but lost in their bowls and thus ended at 6-7. (By the way...two of those three teams beat us, and the third came within a missed FG.) Here are the results, ACC records in parenthesis.
    Tulane (Thurs.) 3-9
    NC CENTRAL 7-5
    NORTHWESTERN 5-7
    GEORGIA TECH 11-3 (6-2)
    BOSTON COLLEGE 7-6 (4-4)
    Army 4-8
    Virginia Tech 7-6 (3-5)
    MIAMI 6-7 (5-3)
    North Carolina 6-7 (4-4)
    PITT 6-7 (4-4)
    Virginia 5-7 (3-5)
    Wake Forest 3-9 (1-7)

One of the concerns of last year was our weak schedule. Looking back at results of the teams that we'll be playing this year, I'm not sure that perception will change much.
    8 of the 12 teams we played finished with losing records. Three of those teams went bowling, but lost in their bowls and thus ended at 6-7. (By the way...two of those three teams beat us, and the third came within a missed FG.) Here are the results, ACC records in parenthesis.
    Tulane (Thurs.) 3-9
    NC CENTRAL 7-5
    NORTHWESTERN 5-7
    GEORGIA TECH 11-3 (6-2)
    BOSTON COLLEGE 7-6 (4-4)
    Army 4-8
    Virginia Tech 7-6 (3-5)
    MIAMI 6-7 (5-3)
    North Carolina 6-7 (4-4)
    PITT 6-7 (4-4)
    Virginia 5-7 (3-5)
    Wake Forest 3-9 (1-7)
    Another way to look at it, CBB, is that we are playing six bowl teams, which isn't bad. It happens that Pitt, UNC and Miami were 6-6 and lost their bowl games to finish with losing records.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Winning all 4. We've not done that in November, and it would be huge going into a bowl game (and possibly the ACC championship game.)
    Did we forget 2013 so quickly? 4-0 in November with wins over NC State, Miami, Wake Forest and UNCheat to close out the regular season.

And who gives a &%$#^ about a weak schedule -- that only manners if Duke is in position to make a run at the playoffs.

We're not there yet. We're still in the building stage. I'd rather go 9-3 or 10-2 against a weak schedule than go 7-5 or 8-4 against a strong one.

If we manage to go 12-0 against that schedule, I'll gladly accept all the criticism that it's too weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    3. A fast start (5-1?) is possible.
    Honestly, going worse than 5-1 would be disappointing to me. I really think we're going to be better next year than this year.

The weak schedule thing is an interesting debate for us. I fall on the side of that I'd rather have a harder schedule than what we have, mostly because I'm genuinely curious as to how we'd fare against a good team from another conference before December or January, and as a football fan the game would just be more fun than Army or whatever. But I can appreciate the opposing view of just needing to pick up as many wins as possible for a team like us.

We should really be contending for the division title next year, though I think GT or UNC will be the favorite (I know, they're always overrated, but I think next season might be the first time in a while they actually deserve a good preseason ranking).

Then again, the only time playing a weak schedule hurts a team is if they are contending for a playoff spot. Otherwise, it's more important just to get the wins.
    Last edited by Duvall; 01-29-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Did we forget 2013 so quickly? 4-0 in November with wins over NC State, Miami, Wake Forest and UNCheat to close out the regular season.
    Yes, yes I did!!! Aggh...thanks for the correction. (I'm so used to hitting the November wall that it is ingrained in me that we always do it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    And who gives a &%$#^ about a weak schedule -- that only manners if Duke is in position to make a run at the playoffs.

We're not there yet. We're still in the building stage. I'd rather go 9-3 or 10-2 against a weak schedule than go 7-5 or 8-4 against a strong one.

If we manage to go 12-0 against that schedule, I'll gladly accept all the criticism that it's too weak.
    I care. But..just like with last year, this year is no different. We didn't go out looking to schedule "weak" teams, that's simply the way the chips landed by the time we actually played. Also note, I didn't say our schedule IS weak, I said it will be perceived that way. The teams we play this year are NOT the teams that earned those schedules last year.
    And I totally agree with your last statement. A win is a win is a win, no matter who we beat.

... We didn't go out looking to schedule "weak" teams, that's simply the way the chips landed by the time we actually played ...
    We kind of do go looking for some weak opponents but I don't think we're any worse at that than most teams.

8/12 of the schedule is from the ACC -- so we have no control over 67% of our schedule.

For the other four games, I read the other day how Duke said it looks for one Power 5 team (Northwestern), two non-P5 teams (Tulane, Army), and one FCS (Central).

So, for the 33% of the schedule we control (4/12), we're looking at 75% of that as being outside of the P5.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Honestly, going worse than 5-1 would be disappointing to me.
    There is one definite tough game and two potentially tough games in the first six: Georgia Tech, Northwestern and Boston College. While I agree with you 5-1 should be the benchmark, 4-2 would not be a disaster. Northwestern has been inconsistent recently with back-to-back 5-7 seasons and Boston College should take a step back with the departure of quarterback Tyler Murphy so 5-1 is a definite possibility and 6-0 isn't unrealistic. We did beat Georgia Tech in Atlanta in 2014 and as you point out we should be an improved team in 2015.

Wow! Talking Duke football on January 29! Exciting times...
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Yea, that's brutal on our tailgating crew (), not to mention our players, but with Cut's emphasis on conditioning from the moment he arrived, I'm confident he'll have our guys ready.
    Certainly brutal on our tailgate crew, but I would think it is great for the players, who don't have to travel for a month.

4 home games in a row isn't ideal, especially given that we have only 1 home in November. On the plus side, other than Tulane and Army, we have very quick/easy road trips. It will certainly be a tale of two halves of the season. We should use the first half of the season to put some, on paper, easy Ws on the board. And then, we take the bye week to prepare for the tougher part of the season starting with the toughest road game we will have.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA