Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

This Week in the ACC: 1/26-2/1

Keeping up with the ACC tiers - the top 5 remains a solid top 5 that, barring catastrophes, will all be tournament teams. Miami had a great week for itself, knocking off ACC bubble foes NC State and Syracuse and pushing itself to the solidly in side of the equation for the time being. Syracuse and NC State (oh, NC State, such a fitting week) had a rougher go of it and are, at least in my view, on the wrong side of the fence. State has a chance to get healthy right away, with Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Wake on the horizon - these are the games that the Pack must win. Pitt has now joined the bottom tier of the league in needing a miracle to make the dance. This little data point, more than anything else, I think illustrates the gulf between the top of the conference and the bottom - the bottom 7 teams have a total of 10 conference wins (against 37 losses) and 9 of those 10 wins are against each other (Clemson beating Syracuse is the outlier).

This is a big sorting week at the top of the conference, particularly for the Tobacco Road squads.

Monday starts things off in Chapel Hill. Carolina is a healthy favorite over a thin Orange squad. However, Boeheim's defense is the ideal against a team that is woeful from behind the arc. Carolina's ability to beat the zone in the interior (and in transition) could be key to this game.

[10]North Carolina hosts [74]Syracuse (7:00, ESPN)

Tuesday

[175]Virginia Tech hosts [100]Pittsburgh (7:00, ESPNU*)

*Yes, this game really is getting a national broadcast slot. We apologize in advance on behalf of the ACC.

Wednesday has a big matchup in South Bend. With both teams boasting stellar offenses and more pedestrian defenses, take the over.

[132]Florida State hosts [113]Wake Forest (7:00, ESPN3)
    [13]Notre Dame hosts [8]Duke (7:30, ESPN2)
    [41]NC State hosts [121]Clemson (9:00, ESPN3)
    [115]Boston College hosts [14]Louisville (9:00, ESPN3)
    [44]Miami hosts [112]Georgia Tech (9:00, ESPN3)

Thursday is dark

Friday is dark

Saturday boasts what may well be the game of the year in the conference (side note - this weekend last season was Duke-Syracuse in the Carrier Dome, which definitely was the game of the year in ACC play) when Duke and Virginia square off for the one and only time. Virginia eked out a win by the skin of their teeth in Blacksburg, but now has all week to rest up and prepare for the Devils coming to town. Just a little ways down I-64, Louisville will be playing host to UNC. 4 top-15 teams squaring off against each other is a fantastic way to spend a Saturday.

[112]Georgia Tech hosts [41]NC State (12:00, ESPN3)
    [121]Clemson hosts [115]Boston College (12:00, ESPN3)
    [100]Pittsburgh hosts [13]Notre Dame (12:00, ESPN3)
    [113]Wake Forest hosts [175]Virginia Tech (2:00, ESPN3)
    [14]Louisville hosts [10]North Carolina (4:00, ESPN)
    [2]Virginia hosts [8]Duke (7:00, ESPN)

Sunday has a small Florida-based Super Bowl appetizer as the 'Canes head to Tallahassee.

[132]Florida State hosts [44]Miami (12:30, ESPNU
    )

ACC Non-Conference Record: 146-45
    ACC Record vs. BCS: 27-26 (Duke's win against St. John's not only gave Coach K #1000, it meant that the ACC will have a regular season record of above .500 against the Big East, Big XII, Big Ten, Pac-12, and SEC)
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Thanks as always for these threads, great resource and break-down.

Carolina versus the zone -- could be a fun game.

Go Jimmy B!

(1) Huge week for Duke. If the Devils have a realistic chance to win the regular season title, they almost have to go 2-0 this week -- which means sweeping two top 10 teams on the road.

(2) Saturday is one of the most important regular season days of the season. Beyond Duke at Virginia and UNC at Louisville, the Notre Dame at Pitt game is huge for the Panthers. If they are going to make a run at winning an NCAA Tournament bid, they need a quality win (which they don't have now). And NC State, which does have a quality win, needs a road win -- even if it is just at Georgia Tech. The Pack is 1-4 outside Raleigh and that will hurt on selection Sunday unless they turn it around. Ga Tech is pretty bad, but it would still be a road win.

(3) Tuesday's game is interesting to me -- Virginia Tech is 0-6 in the ACC, but in three home games, they've come within a last-second 3-point attempt of beating Syracuse and another last-second 3 of of tying Virginia. They've been routed in three ACC road game, but at home they can be dangerous (and Duke has to play there in February)

Watching this UNC/Cuse game, and it is atrocious. If we don't play zone against UNC, I will be salty. The Cuse is short on weaponry and manpower, but their zone (and a big night from Cooney) is keeping them afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Watching this UNC/Cuse game, and it is atrocious. If we don't play zone against UNC, I will be salty. The Cuse is short on weaponry and manpower, but their zone (and a big night from Cooney) is keeping them afloat.
    UNC back to playing tentative and soft in the first half in this one. I had hoped that they were past that. They need to ratchet up the intensity if they want to win this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    UNC back to playing tentative and soft in the first half in this one. I had hoped that they were past that. They need to ratchet up the intensity if they want to win this one.
    Agreed. Fortunately, they've shot exceptionally well so far. Otherwise, this would be a blowout. They better play a lot better in the second half, because I doubt that they keep shooting this well for the whole game.

Agreed. Fortunately, they've shot exceptionally well so far. Otherwise, this would be a blowout. They better play a lot better in the second half, because I doubt that they keep shooting this well for the whole game.
    I take it back. Maybe UNC will just keep shooting out of their mind...

Ref induced meltdown...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

I take it back. Maybe UNC will just keep shooting out of their mind...
    UNC almost scored 60 pts in a half. I don't understand why folks do not think they are among the best teams in the country. They seem to be winning every game they play lately.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I don't understand why folks do not think they are among the best teams in the country. They seem to be winning every game they play lately.
    With wins against teams like Virginia Tech, Florida State and a depleted Syracuse team, how could they not?

UNC almost scored 60 pts in a half. I don't understand why folks do not think they are among the best teams in the country. They seem to be winning every game they play lately.
    Well, they seem to turn the ball over a lot (20 tonight) and do not shoot well from outside in many games.

Still, yes, I think they look formidable and seem to be improving. Lots of depth and size; can defend well; some younger players like Britt are coming on.

I have never said they aren't good. But they are not a good shooting team. They are a good defensive team and an amazing offensive rebounding team. But they are not a good shooting team.

Tonight, though, they shot out of their minds (55% overall and 56% from 3). I think it is reasonable to note when a good team shoots way above their heads in a game.

I think people should start realizing soon that Syracuse is a bubble team. Their only win of any consequence this season is a neutral court win over Iowa back in November. And that was before McCullogh was lost for the season. Their ACC schedule is VERY backloaded. They could conceivably reach 15 losses this year.

This is a good team, probably a top 5 to me, that is still only at about 60-70% of their potential, IMO.

This is not a great shooting team, but it is a very good scoring team that shares the ball.

The injuries are setting them back, and they still have issues with focus as evidenced by all the unforced TO's tonight.

Remember, the only losses were early to a very good ND team by one, to good Iowa St./ Butler teams when Roy was developing/preparing his freshmen and playing 10-11 players. And #1 KY team where they were not outclassed.

Nice game by the sopomore Britt. The kid is undersized but can play and always shows hustle, which is sometimes lacking from his teammates in stretches,(excluding Paige).

Christmas was a load inside. He was impressive.

Cooney made some really tough shots in the first half, got to give him credit for his play. Second half defense tightened up on him, mainly by Tokoto, and he was not a factor much late.

Good teams win ugly as they say...

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    With wins against teams like Virginia Tech, Florida State and a depleted Syracuse team, how could they not?
    True- but they beat State and Louisville and they just find ways to win. In a season where there is KY and then everyone else- UNC is built to make a run. Not happy about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I don't think you want to go there.

Take a look at UNC's strength of schedule and compare it to, say, a team like Duke and get back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    This is a good team, probably a top 5 to me, that is still only at about 60-70% of their potential, IMO.

This is not a great shooting team, but it is a very good scoring team that shares the ball.

The injuries are setting them back, and they still have issues with focus as evidenced by all the unforced TO's tonight.

Remember, the only losses were early to a very good ND team by one, to good Iowa St./ Butler teams when Roy was developing/preparing his freshmen and playing 10-11 players. And #1 KY team where they were not outclassed.

Nice game by the sopomore Britt. The kid is undersized but can play and always shows hustle, which is sometimes lacking from his teammates in stretches,(excluding Paige).

Christmas was a load inside. He was impressive.

Cooney made some really tough shots in the first half, got to give him credit for his play. Second half defense tightened up on him, mainly by Tokoto, and he was not a factor much late.

Good teams win ugly as they say...
    Iowa, not Iowa St. That is a substantial difference.

I don't think UNC is nearly a top-5 team. Kentucky, UVa, Duke, Wisconsin, Gonzaga, Arizona, Villanova, Kansas, and Notre Dame are better. And I think they are much closer to their ceiling than you do. But I do think they are a top-15 team with a chance to make some noise if the matchups are right come tourney time.

Iowa, not Iowa St. That is a substantial difference.

I don't think UNC is nearly a top-5 team. Kentucky, UVa, Duke, Wisconsin, Gonzaga, Arizona, Villanova, Kansas, and Notre Dame are better. And I think they are much closer to their ceiling than you do. But I do think they are a top-15 team with a chance to make some noise if the matchups are right come tourney time.
    Thanks for the correction, again. I don't know why I keep confusing the Iowa's on this year's UNC schedule, but I have.

If basketball was played 4 on 4 with no bench players, UNC would be a top 5 team. Their biggest problem is a lack of a 5th guy to go with Paige, Tokoto, Johnson, and Meeks. They are hurting because all the guys who COULD be a good 5th starter or backup are either young, hurt, mediocre, terrible, or some combination of the above. Obviously, Britt played well tonight and that makes them a lot better, but he's been solidly in the mediocre category for most of ACC play as we all predicted (honestly, below that). As I've said before, UNC is dying for a player like Tyler Thornton - someone who can hit the open 3, do little things well, allow Paige to play off the ball sometimes. On nights when someone else plays really well, they're elite. On other nights, they're good, but there's always a matchup for an opponent to exploit.

Syracuse's signature win is, what, Iowa? Yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    If basketball was played 4 on 4 with no bench players, UNC would be a top 5 team. Their biggest problem is a lack of a 5th guy to go with Paige, Tokoto, Johnson, and Meeks. They are hurting because all the guys who COULD be a good 5th starter or backup are either young, hurt, mediocre, terrible, or some combination of the above. Obviously, Britt played well tonight and that makes them a lot better, but he's been solidly in the mediocre category for most of ACC play as we all predicted (honestly, below that). As I've said before, UNC is dying for a player like Tyler Thornton - someone who can hit the open 3, do little things well, allow Paige to play off the ball sometimes. On nights when someone else plays really well, they're elite. On other nights, they're good, but there's always a matchup for an opponent to exploit.

Syracuse's signature win is, what, Iowa? Yawn.
    Roy must be an amazing coach to be 7-1 in the ACC with all those "mediocre" and "serviceable" players Duke fans keep saying he has to put on the court, wouldn't you say?