Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

Second: Defense. It is all about defense. Defense will determine how far we go in the conference and, most important, in the NCAA tourney.

Whither the defense? Will it be withering or just wither? The tale of the team will be defense.
    I pretty much agree. I believe Duke will continue to have one of the best offences in the country for the rest of the year. Unfortunately, that doesn't prevent cold spells, so I am hoping the team can consistently get stops when needed for the rest of the year and even more so after this phase.

St Johns benind us

With St Johns behind us I think we can see the following trajectory for the team:

Offensively

Jahlil is learning more and more to cope with the double team
    Quinn continues to be a consistent and reliable scorer
    Tyus is demonstrating he not only can run an offense but he can contribute points in many ways
    Amile's play around the basket when Jahlil is double teamed is giving us another solid contribution

Matt is doing a solid job and is improving
    We really miss Justise's offensive presence. He has been unable to score of late and that is likely to improve as he recovers from injuries
    Rasheed is up and down. Lets hope for more ups going forward.

Defensively

Our transition defense has a long way to go. Getting back quickly in transition needs to be an area of concentration
    Our defense needs to be flexible with M-to-M and Zone being used and a variety of looks. Possibly the M-to-M shouldn't be extended.
    Marshall, when used in the right spots, can really improve the defense and rebounding. He hustles back with maximum effort.

ND will test our defense and UVA will test both our offense and defense.

I would think this thread needs an update

given the recent circumstances as our team has a changed dynamic(s)/paradigm shift.

Just goes to show that despite breaking the season into phases, the biggest factor can still be something wildly unforeseen.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    given the recent circumstances as our team has a changed dynamic(s)/paradigm shift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    Just goes to show that despite breaking the season into phases, the biggest factor can still be something wildly unforeseen.
    Let's see what I can come up with...
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Like most phase threads, this thread was started asking if we can stay healthy. Losing Rasheed to dismissal is in many ways just like losing him to a season ending injury. The difference, of course, is the effect it'll have on the rest of team. That's the part we don't know yet.