Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

"All Ball....All Ball"

"All Ball...All Ball"

Al McGuire's call of Johnny D's game ending blocked shot of David Rivers.

'Dockery does it for Duke again'

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Even in our down era in football, there was still some good spirit as evidenced by this sign at a Duke/UNC football game

"We may have jock itch, but you have Dick Crum."
    I was surprised to learn from Wiki that he is still Carolina's winningest football coach. He's got Mack Brown 72 to 69. He's eighty years old, somehow. Bill Dooley also had 69.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Copied from Sage Grouse's signature line if SG has not posted it already:

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Vasquez from Maryland saying "they would swear at me in 6 different languages !
    Along those same lines, after Vazquez was quoted as saying that Cameron was "my house," the Crazies serenaded him in his next appearance there with chants of "Nuestra casa!"

In other great moments of multilingual taunting, there was the chant of "Fehlwurf!" ("Air ball!") at Detlef Schrempf -- and a poster directed at UNC's Henrik Rodl that displayed a German phrase with a translation that the board filter probably wouldn't allow, which referenced the performance of a certain sex act with Rodl's mother.

"I watched a special on Shaolin monks last night on the Discovery Channel; I was pretty bored," Battier said. "They were talking about having the 'chi,' and having an absolute calmness in mind. I took that to heart." (February 3, 1999, after a 27-point performance as a sophomore against Maryland in Cameron) (game: http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...ameid=19990203) (story: http://www.dukechronicle.com/article...s#.VMUFmBx26Sh)

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    "I watched a special on Shaolin monks last night on the Discovery Channel; I was pretty bored," Battier said. "They were talking about having the 'chi,' and having an absolute calmness in mind. I took that to heart." (February 3, 1999, after a 27-point performance as a sophomore against Maryland in Cameron) (game: http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...ameid=19990203) (story: http://www.dukechronicle.com/article...s#.VMUFmBx26Sh)
    Great find, that is one of my favorite stories.

"Dennard and Banks...So Long and Thanks" from a T-shirt that I can't believe I no longer have. Could I possibly have jettisoned it?

"Sometimes it just be's that way" Al Wood, after a loss to Duke (correct me if I'm wrong on this)

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I remember going to a soccer game against Clemson. At the time, they were called the Nigerian Express because of the number of players from Nigeria. At some point during the game, I ended up behind the Clemson goalie. A Duke professor kept translating what he was saying for the crowd. It was pretty funny.
    Reminds me of when the Carolina basketball team would call out their plays in Swahili to confuse opponents.

I'm astounded that the time K dropped the F bomb at Deano isn't getting more love here. That is the best story I have ever heard in my life. I love the PC K that we see in press conferences and in interviews and stuff, but K on the court is just the best. He is vulgar, angry, passionate, brilliant, competitive, protective, and a little bit crazy all at the same time. I got to sit behind the bench a few times in Cameron, and whenever I'm having a bad day, I just remember some of the ridiculous things K says in timeouts/to the refs/to his assistants. Even thinking about them now, it makes me want to run through a wall for the guy. If i was a player on that Duke team where K told the most revered coach in the conference to piss off, I would lose a limb for the guy. He does it all the time.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

K: "Just watch Shane. For a few possessions, don't look at anything else. Just watch Shane."

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Of course, our reputation benefits greatly from the comparative (absolute?) dearth of wit 8 miles away.
    There may be a dearth of wit eight miles down the road, but somehow they ALL get diplomas.

Has someone mentioned Coach K saying of Dean Smith, "if I ever act like that guy, just shoot me."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    "After a contentious game against Dean Smith and North Carolina in 1984, Mike Krzyzewski told reporters the refs had a double standard when working UNC games. Nine years later, Krzyzewski and Smith faced off in a 1993 game inside the Dean Dome. After an argument with the longtime UNC coach, Coach K stormed back to the bench and, according to John Feinstein's A March to Madness, made the following request to his assistants. "If I even for one minute start to act like [Smith], don't ask a single question. Just get a gun and shoot me."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...ewski/2003359/
    Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    There may be a dearth of wit eight miles down the road, but somehow they ALL get diplomas.

Has someone mentioned Coach K saying of Dean Smith, "if I ever act like that guy, just shoot me."
    As a matter of fact, some knucklehead upthread already did.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I'm astounded that the time K dropped the F bomb at Deano isn't getting more love here. That is the best story I have ever heard in my life. I love the PC K that we see in press conferences and in interviews and stuff, but K on the court is just the best. He is vulgar, angry, passionate, brilliant, competitive, protective, and a little bit crazy all at the same time. I got to sit behind the bench a few times in Cameron, and whenever I'm having a bad day, I just remember some of the ridiculous things K says in timeouts/to the refs/to his assistants. Even thinking about them now, it makes me want to run through a wall for the guy. If i was a player on that Duke team where K told the most revered coach in the conference to piss off, I would lose a limb for the guy. He does it all the time.
    Trust me, that gets much love.

If you have any anecdotes to share, with or without quotes, please fire away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I was at one game several years ago (can't remember the opponent) sitting in Section 9, which is the upper-level section in the corner closest to the visiting team's bench. During one stretch, Duke lost focus and made a few bad plays in a row, leading to a couple of easy scores for our opponent. K called timeout, and the players started ambling back towards the bench. Apparently they weren't moving fast enough for K, so he stepped out on to the court, stomped his foot on the floor and shouted, "GET THE F--- OVER HERE!!!!" Cameron was unusually quiet at the time, so K's foot stomp and shout were quite audible, even in my seat in the upper-level corner at the opposite end of the arena.

Cut before the 2012 Belk Bowl

"Does Duke play football? You're damn right we play football."

"Duke football? Hell yes it's Duke football."

Shane, run around and make plays.

The Cwell "NC State rah rah" and Shane "monk" quotes, which have already been mentioned, are my favorites.

The '99 team was really a golden age for quotes, with Shane and Chris, two of the most quotable Duke players ever, on the same roster.

A story I heard from a Duke manager on the '99 team, that was relayed to him via Corey Maggette, was that Elton Brand, Will Avery, and Maggette ran into Spike Lee in their hotel in Atlanta for the Tech game (or was it in NYC for the St. John's game?... it's been so long I am questioning my memory).

Spike, a serious basketball fan, complimented the three on the season they had been having thus far, but said that he wouldn't be pulling for them because "ya know, y'all play for Duke", to which Elton responded, "That's OK. I haven't really been feeling your movies lately either".

Ha ha ha. One of my favorite Duke stories/one liners.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Does everyone remember Florida State's Big Jelly -- Nigel Dixon, 6-10 and 350 pounds?

The Crazies chanted, pointing at the very thin seven-foot Duke center, Casey Sanders: "Casey Sanders! Casey Sanders!"

And then turned and pointed at Dixon, "Colonel Sanders! Colonel Sanders!"

That got a laugh out of everyone, including Big Jelly himself.
    I believe I remember a "Mo-by Dix-on," 'clap, clap, clap clap clap' when 'ol Nigel visited Cameron. He had shorts that didn't have the typical size label, instead they just read "Dixon L because there wasn't enough room for all the Xs. He took it in good nature so it I don't feel bad recounting it.

"One more kid" has to be one of my favorites, mainly because it was usually a bittersweet moment during said player's Senior Night game.

Those are more Crazies Chants, so my favorite one-liner is an often repeated phrase that I can't attribute to any one announcer but pays the ultimate compliment to the Duke program as a whole and how other teams see us: "They're everybody's Super Bowl." Can't say much more than that on what Duke Basketball stands for.