Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Optimist Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Feet POF View Post
    What do you see our chances of winning this game (40-30%) if we employ the same defensive pattern as we have this season.

If "Forced" is too strong a word what is one that is more accurate to describe a reaction to our recent events?
    As I posted in the pre-game thread, in my dream last night, Duke prevailed over UVa in 2OT by a margin of 994 points. You can take that to the bank. Should be a really impressive last five minutes of basketball. Might want to record it.

The pressure tonight is squarely and perhaps absolutely on Virginia with Gameday, the unbeaten record, the #2 ranking, etc.

I like our chances. To win against an unbeaten #2 team at their place would give the team a harbor of confidence that they could return to in the darkest moments of a March run.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    As I posted in the pre-game thread, in my dream last night, Duke prevailed over UVa in 2OT by a margin of 994 points. You can take that to the bank. Should be a really impressive last five minutes of basketball. Might want to record it.

Mr Mum would be proud.

I'd like to point out that our team is 7-1 with three wins over top ten teams since the inception of this thread.

I'm considering it a success to this point. But, of course I am... I started the optismist thread!

I'd like to point out that our team is 7-1 with three wins over top ten teams since the inception of this thread.

I'm considering it a success to this point. But, of course I am... I started the optismist thread!
    That is a somewhat jaded view of the thread, isn't it?

A comment in the VATech OT Post Game thread reminded me of this thread, so here's a bump from someone finding a "positive" from a rough game to watch:

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    The good news is that if we get in a situation at the end of a game where we have to miss a free throw on purpose we should be good at it.
    Sarcastic response aside, this Duke team has has more gritty comebacks than any Duke team I can remember in recent memory. So while there may be some major deficiencies in Duke's game, there is no doubting their ability to circle the wagons and dig deep for some additional energy and motivation to close games out. Quinn Cook and Tyus Jones are one of my favorite 1-2 combos I can remember watching. This season has been great so far, and I hope it gets even better.

I've seen a lot of good Duke teams who didn't know how to win close games. In contrast, this Duke team, who I believe is quite good, has been in a lot of close games, and won all but one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    I've seen a lot of good Duke teams who didn't know how to win close games. In contrast, this Duke team, who I believe is quite good, has been in a lot of close games, and won all but one of them.
    It's not just winning close games. It's keeping your composure when you get behind. Against State and Miami, once we got behind (basically for the first time all season), our players seemed like they had no idea how to come back, a malady that appeared to afflict us last season as well. But since then, we've come back from legitimate second half deficits on multiple occasions (off the top of my head, St. John's, Virginia, UNC, VT, maybe one or two others). That's a special gift for a team, and fortunately for us, this team seems to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    It's not just winning close games. It's keeping your composure when you get behind. Against State and Miami, once we got behind (basically for the first time all season), our players seemed like they had no idea how to come back, a malady that appeared to afflict us last season as well. But since then, we've come back from legitimate second half deficits on multiple occasions (off the top of my head, St. John's, Virginia, UNC, VT, maybe one or two others). That's a special gift for a team, and fortunately for us, this team seems to have it.
    against State, we had a furious comeback from something like 25 down to 10 or 12 (i don't remember exactly).

this team has the great quality of coming back from behind. but, also has the bad quality of poor stretches of play in many games. lengthy poor stretches against Va Tech, UNC, Syracuse, St Johns, Notre Dame 1, wake, obviously ncsu and miami, virginia, FSU. a bit more consistency and they can become a real force (even moreso than they already are).

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    against State, we had a furious comeback from something like 25 down to 10 or 12 (i don't remember exactly).
    State's biggest lead was 19 and we got it down to 7, but by then it was clearly too late. With 9:30 to go in that game we were down by 7. That's when we needed composure, but we didn't show it. In the next four minutes we let them increase their lead to 19, and we no longer had a realistic chance to win the game. From 5:40 to 3 minutes to go, we fought back furiously and got it down to 8, and then to 7 with about a minute and a half to go, but we ran out of gas, which is common when teams attempt to come back from so far behind. Since Miami, however, we've managed to stem the tide at the right time and come all the way back.

Let's bring back this thread! We have anywhere from three to ten games remaining - maintaining optimism is KEY!

We welcomed Grayson Allen into the realm of potential tournament heroes last night! We are riding a great win streak. It's March! Let's go.

Let's bring back this thread! We have anywhere from three to ten games remaining - maintaining optimism is KEY!

We welcomed Grayson Allen into the realm of potential tournament heroes last night! We are riding a great win streak. It's March! Let's go.
    Good idea! Lots of cause for optimism now. I am also choosing, perhaps with somewhat less cause, to be optimistic that there will be no more rolled ankles this season...

Ten (10) games left. This IS the optimist thread, after all! LGD GTHc
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Thanks Mountain Devil for bringing this thread back to the top. Now if no one will predict a 35 point win for Duke. That's a might too optimistic. Beat the Cheaters and GoDuke!

Optimistic that after the first of our final 10 games our record will be 1-0 ascending from the depths of Hell.

Well I'm waiting for Grayson Allen......Chapter II. Maybe he was just warming up against Wake Forrest!

Anyone NOT optimistic now?

Hard not to be optimistic looking at a 15-game stretch like this!

2015_03_07_23_43_28_Duke_Men_s_College_Basketball_Blue_Devils_News_Scores_Videos_College_Baske.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Feet POF View Post
    Coach K WILL fix this. Expect good things in Louisvtlle.
    Have to admit that we may have seen K experiment and make adjustments more this season than any in recent memory. He played two groups of five for a while - he zoned a lot (almost one entire game), he managed the loss of two players- he allowed a key reserve (Allen) to get increasingly more playing time down the stretch- he replaced a starter ( Jefferson) with another ( Jones) player and kept the old starter engaged- he found a way for two small point guards to play together and for both to have outstanding years. May have been one of K's best season as a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Have to admit that we may have seen K experiment and make adjustments more this season than any in recent memory. He played two groups of five for a while - he zoned a lot (almost one entire game), he managed the loss of two players- he allowed a key reserve (Allen) to get increasingly more playing time down the stretch- he replaced a starter ( Jefferson) with another ( Jones) player and kept the old starter engaged- he found a way for two small point guards to play together and for both to have outstanding years. May have been one of K's best season as a coach.
    Do ya think the individual players and their skills and development might have permitted this flexibility? K seems pretty aware to me - not only this year.