Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Interesting take on who Minny should take in the draft including a lot of advanced metrics on Towns vs Okafor.

http://www.canishoopus.com/2015/5/11...971.1420231273

And another one on Okafor's pros and cons -

http://www.denverstiffs.com/2015/5/1...971.1420231273
    Off-season, off-topic musing: Do people who live in Minneapolis really refer to the city as "Minny?" I'd be surprised. People in San Francisco certainly don't say "Frisco" -- which is a WW II military reference -- or "San Fran." Most say "San Francisco." Similarly, most of the people that say "Philly" are from elsewhere. Locals usually say "Philadelphia" -- at least, in my somewhat limited experience.

We did say "LA" back a while ago when I lived in Los Angeles.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Off-season, off-topic musing: Do people who live in Minneapolis really refer to the city as "Minny?" I'd be surprised. People in San Francisco certainly don't say "Frisco" -- which is a WW II military reference -- or "San Fran." Most say "San Francisco." Similarly, most of the people that say "Philly" are from elsewhere. Locals usually say "Philadelphia" -- at least, in my somewhat limited experience.

Wisco/Wiscy for Wisconsin

Or if you're not into that whole brevity thing, North Cakalacky for North Carolina.

Wisco/Wiscy for Wisconsin

Or if you're not into that whole brevity thing, North Cakalacky for North Carolina.
    Yeah, but.... Do the locals really use these terms?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Yeah, but.... Do the locals really use these terms?
    I know native North Carolinians who used North Cakalacky. Not many, but a few.

I can tell you that here in Milwaukee, it's Mwaukee.

...Similarly, most of the people that say "Philly" are from elsewhere. Locals usually say "Philadelphia" -- at least, in my somewhat limited experience..
    FWIW, people in and around Philadelphia do regularly refer to it as Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    I thought they called it West Jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I know native North Carolinians who used North Cakalacky. Not many, but a few.
    I've lived in North Carolina since Truman was president and I've never once heard the state referred to as North Cakalacky.

Maybe I need to get out more.

..and people in neighboring states often refer to it as the "Philth"

Sometime in the last decade or two, my hometown of Cincinnati came to be regularly referred to as "the 'nati" by residents and non-residents alike

Can confirm. From Philly suburbs, list my location on DBR posts as "Philly."

Not being from near North Carolina, I can't really claim to know much about North Cakalacky, but it always struck me as one of those names that people from Urban/Suburban areas use to reference more rural areas. We have some of those up here too. Growing up, I know my dad's family always talked about the more rural central parts of PA as "Pennsyl-tucky" and my mom's family from northern Delaware often talked about Lower-Slower (or Slower-Lower) Delaware when referencing the more rural southern parts of the state.

Cackalacky

I've heard it used more referring to South Carolina rather than North ... without the "South", either ... rather, just "Cackalacky" ... used good-naturedly and humorously ... "need to get back to Cackalacky"

On "North Cackalacky": http://blogs.lib.unc.edu/ncm/index.p...09/cackalacky/

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I thought they called it West Jersey?
    I know somebody who lives on the east side of West New York, New Jersey.

NOBODY calls it "Hotlanta."

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I've lived in North Carolina since Truman was president and I've never once heard the state referred to as North Cakalacky.

Maybe I need to get out more.
    FWIW, none of them were born when Truman was president. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    FWIW, none of them were born when Truman was president. ;-)
    Most people weren't.

mockery

Here's mock drafts from 3 guys over at CBS -

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft

Here's where they have the Duke guys -
    Okafor - 2nd, 1st, 2nd
    Winslow - 5, 3, 11
    Jones - 18, 20, 21

That's a really wide range for Justise. Most mocks have him in the 5-8 range.

Here's mock drafts from 3 guys over at CBS -

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft

Here's where they have the Duke guys -
    Okafor - 2nd, 1st, 2nd
    Winslow - 5, 3, 11
    Jones - 18, 20, 21

That's a really wide range for Justise. Most mocks have him in the 5-8 range.
    Such projections are really useless until the lottery drawing (next Tuesday night). Different teams have different needs and obviously different opinions.

Like Jim, I was born during the Truman presidency and I also have never heard "North Cakalacky" -- except fairly recently from a Charlotte-based sports radio show.

The simple abbreviation from all the native North Carolinians I know is "Carolina" ... South Carolina is "South Carolina" ... Carolina is North Carolina (although I understand that those South of the Border -- great tourist trap by the way -- used Carolina to refer to their state.

So it appears that at one point, the combine measurements were released by the NBA at this link according to many reporters, but as of this moment, this year's stats no longer appear there. Many people, however, have tweeted or reported on individuals. The most comprehensive link I have found is here The article is focused on the Kentucky schools, but has Tyus' and Justise's measurements in the "other players" section at the bottom. Nothing on Quinn.

JUSTISE WINSLOW (Duke)

Height with shoes: 6'6 1/2"; Height without shoes: 6'4 1/2"; Weight: 221.8; Standing reach: 8'8 1/2"; Wingspan: 6'10 1/4"; Body fat: 5.3%.

TYUS JONES

Height with shoes: 6'2"; Height without shoes: 6'0 1/4"; Weight: 184.6; Standing reach: 8'1"; Wingspan: 6'5"; Body fat: 6.5%.

Tyus probably will come out looking pretty good with those measurements. He is over the mythical 6'0" mark without shoes and has a pretty solid 6'5" wingspan for a point guard. If teams are worried about his defense against other NBA point guards, it shouldn't be due to size. Justise on the other hand, is more of a mixed bag. His weight, body fat, and wingspan all come out looking very good, but 6'4.5" without shoes will seem pretty small to some teams if they project him as a small forward. Not surprisingly, with a large wingspan, but small height, his standing reach of 8'8.5" is about average for small forwards (at least looking at the small forwards from last years combine)

The link in my previous post appears to be working again. Here are Quinn's Numbers:

QUINN COOK

Height with shoes: 6'2"; Height without shoes: 6'0 1/4"; Weight: 179.0; Standing reach: 8'0.5"; Wingspan: 6'4"; Body fat: 6.7%.

Before you look, I didn't just copy and paste Tyus' numbers from the last post. They just have really similar body measurements.

As a native Cheesehead, we never called Wisconsin Wiscy or Wisco. We referred to the UW as Bucky.