Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    UNC's response to the SACS is online now.

My quick summary of the contents. Didn't read every page.

1) Carolina (way they refer to themselves over and over in the document) loves SACS
    2) Carolina is great.
    3) Everything can be blamed on Debbie and Julius.
    4) Carolina is great.
    5) If only we had been able to interview Debbie and Julius before, we wouldn't have lied to SACS before.
    6) Now that Wainstein was able to get info from Debbie and Julius, we know all the bad stuff and nobody still employed here does that bad stuff.
    7) Aren't we just swell?
    8) Nothing bad has happened since 2011 because we say so. At least not anywhere we looked or has come out online.
    9) Did we mention how much Carolina loves SACS?
    10) Please go away, we are so great we don't need you to worry about us anymore.

Even better is the description that comes up: "Famed for its healthcare & athletics programs, this is one of the oldest public schools in the U.S. - Google" Apparently, it isn't famous for it's academics.

Priceless.
    I tried it, too. It works!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Works for me also (in Durham). I took the opportunity to suggest a new comment, "One of the worst scandals in NCAA history"
    uncheats.jpg

This search works in the triad as well.
    For those who don't click the link above, just open up Google Maps and search for 'cheat'. The top result is very appropriate.

Quoted from the front page article: "Carolina accepts full responsibility for the wrongdoing, has apologized repeatedly and forthrightly to the impacted students and alumni, and will continue to monitor previous reforms and institute additional measures, wherever needed, to ensure and enhance academic integrity. While Carolina continues to take these issues very seriously and without offering excuses, it is also critical to make it clear that the Wainstein investigation, like prior investigations, found no evidence of any academic improprieties occurring since the summer of 2011, and no evidence that these academic improprieties extended beyond courses in one department in the College of Arts and Sciences."

This just made me think of Roy talking in the 3rd person all the time. Does Carolina teach a course on that? If so, do you have to go to the class?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Quoted from the front page article: "Carolina accepts full responsibility for the wrongdoing, has apologized repeatedly and forthrightly to the impacted students and alumni, and will continue to monitor previous reforms and institute additional measures, wherever needed, to ensure and enhance academic integrity. While Carolina continues to take these issues very seriously and without offering excuses, it is also critical to make it clear that the Wainstein investigation, like prior investigations, found no evidence of any academic improprieties occurring since the summer of 2011, and no evidence that these academic improprieties extended beyond courses in one department in the College of Arts and Sciences."

This just made me think of Roy talking in the 3rd person all the time. Does Carolina teach a course on that? If so, do you have to go to the class?
    Carolina? A bit of aggressive brand protection, I would say, to use in communications with an accrediting organization, which oversees many, many colleges with "Carolina" in their names: South Carolina (known throughout the Palmetto State as "Carolina), SC State, NC A&T, NCC, NC Wesleyan, even NC State -- plus all the other UNC's (Charlotte, Wilmington, Asheville).

I wonder how SACSOC addresses UNC? Probably as the University of North Carolina (UNC) the first time and then afterwards only as UNC, or maybe UNC-CH, where the CH can also stand for "CHeater." (Of course, UNC in Colorado is the University of Northern Colorado, which also sponsors widely listened to NPR broadcast sites in my home state.)
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

You left out the best one

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Carolina? A bit of aggressive brand protection, I would say, to use in communications with an accrediting organization, which oversees many, many colleges with "Carolina" in their names: South Carolina (known throughout the Palmetto State as "Carolina), SC State, NC A&T, NCC, NC Wesleyan, even NC State -- plus all the other UNC's (Charlotte, Wilmington, Asheville).

I wonder how SACSOC addresses UNC? Probably as the University of North Carolina (UNC) the first time and then afterwards only as UNC, or maybe UNC-CH, where the CH can also stand for "CHeater." (Of course, UNC in Colorado is the University of Northern Colorado, which also sponsors widely listened to NPR broadcast sites in my home state.)
    What about the University of South Carolina Upstate?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    What about the University of South Carolina Upstate?
    Do you think USC "Upstairs" is trying to subtly outdo its downstate neighbor?

And, of course, Coastal Carolina, named "the chanticleers" surely after the Duke yearbook.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Don't forget The Carolina School of Broadcasting and Carolina School of Massage.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

I could go with thinking of UNC as only the University of Northern Colorado. I followed the UNC Emeritus Professor of University Libraries in his quest for the perfect cinnamon roll.

Fraud extends back to 1989 per SACCS response

Don't get distracted.

The Martin report told you the fraud went back to '97. Then Weinstein said '94. This response to SACCS has the fraud going back to 1989.

It seems like every time someone forces UNC to dig deeper, they find even more fraud. Does anyone really believe this is an AFAM only problem?

A penny for your thoughts. We now have thousands of athletes across four different decades that took fraudulent classes to either keep them eligible or allow them more time to focus on their sport...thousands of athletes starting in the '80s, continuing into the 90's, exploding in the '00s before it all comes crashing down in the 10's.

What penalties has UNC self imposed since this fraud has come to light?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Don't get distracted.

The Martin report told you the fraud went back to '97. Then Weinstein said '94. This response to SACCS has the fraud going back to 1989.

It seems like every time someone forces UNC to dig deeper, they find even more fraud. Does anyone really believe this is an AFAM only problem?

A penny for your thoughts. We now have thousands of athletes across four different decades that took fraudulent classes to either keep them eligible or allow them more time to focus on their sport...thousands of athletes starting in the '80s, continuing into the 90's, exploding in the '00s before it all comes crashing down in the 10's.

This is really the sad part. No self-realization that they've screwed up since this has all come out. Isolate, blame, stick head in sand, repeat ad nauseum seems to be the mantra.

Perhaps, the Matt Doherty years were kind of a subconscious self-imposed punishment and they've figured that was good enough
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    This is really the sad part.
    And I hope this is what hangs them with the NCAA. Utterly remorseless, except about the whole "getting caught" thing.

Add shameless and brazen too -- hiring Chizik when Auburn had one of the highest-profile pay-to-play incidents in recent memory.

UNC athletics is a smarmy festering pustule of putrid scumbaggery. "The Carolina Way"

The scandal doesn't seem to be affecting the attractiveness of UNC to many young people. This year is another record for applicants (as was Duke) with almost 32k applicants.
    http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blo...l-hill-nc.html

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    The scandal doesn't seem to be affecting the attractiveness of UNC to many young people. This year is another record for applicants (as was Duke) with almost 32k applicants.
    http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blo...l-hill-nc.html
    You shouldn't be surprised, unc is the place where you can get a degree without ever going to class!

What a surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Quoted from the front page article: " . . . it is also critical to make it clear that the Wainstein investigation, like prior investigations, found . . . no evidence that these academic improprieties extended beyond courses in one department in the College of Arts and Sciences."
    The scope of the two investigations was limited to AFAM and they only found problems in AFAM.

Makes sense to me!

Wish someone such as PackPride could find out if "Communications" or other majors were also part of the cesspool.

Quote Originally Posted by kcduke75 View Post
    The scope of the two investigations was limited to AFAM and they only found problems in AFAM.

Makes sense to me!

Wish someone such as PackPride could find out if "Communications" or other majors were also part of the cesspool.
    Jan Boxill "taught" her 160 independent "study" courses in the philosophy department. There's also an email in the Wainstein Report appendix that implicates a professor in the exercise and sports science department. There may be more in, for instance, the communications department. Plenty of other professors in other departments were willing to oblige the athletic department with easy grades, but that is a way in which "everybody does it."

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    Don't forget The Carolina School of Broadcasting and Carolina School of Massage.
    Nor the UNC School of Tooth Dentistry and Sheet Metal Work.

Quote Originally Posted by porcophile View Post
    Jan Boxill "taught" her 160 independent "study" courses in the philosophy department. There's also an email in the Wainstein Report appendix that implicates a professor in the exercise and sports science department. There may be more in, for instance, the communications department. Plenty of other professors in other departments were willing to oblige the athletic department with easy grades, but that is a way in which "everybody does it."
    There's a bit of a gulf between AFAM and the other departments, in that they were entirely carried out by Debbie Crowder, who was an administrative assistant and not in any way a member of the faculty (although she forged some signatures).
    Sage Grouse