Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    One more for today...

Scandal denier/cheerleader Bradley Bethel has a new, rather unremarkable piece up. http://coachingthemind.blogspot.com/...sons-from.html

What is interesting about it is in the comments section, there is a claim by Wendy Bryan that she is willing to go on the record to expose the higher ups responsible for throwing the tutors under the bus.

Attachment 4622

This would not be her first time speaking out in public against a large organization she has been a part of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_Dascomb
    https://www.linkedin.com/pub/wendy-bryan/1a/790/b51
    This is the area that just hasn't gotten the attention it deserves. In the incriminating Crowder email she talks about getting pressure from higher ups about the number of independent studies being offered... wouldn't it seem obvious for Wainstein investigators to ask who exactly she was referencing?

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by martydoesntfoul View Post
    This is the area that just hasn't gotten the attention it deserves. In the incriminating Crowder email she talks about getting pressure from higher ups about the number of independent studies being offered... wouldn't it seem obvious for Wainstein investigators to ask who exactly she was referencing?
    Maybe they did. Either way, I don't doubt for a second she'd refuse to talk.

Another voice from the UNC faculty speaks: http://chapelboro.com/columns/the-co...forfeit-games/
    Margolis has been a co-author with Jay Smith in the past, so it's like it's a completely new faction, but it is pretty well written.

It's on chapelboro, but it's not even close to something Chansky would write.

Taking the initiative to forfeit these tainted games would be an acknowledgment of the wrong-doing, and more importantly a strong statement from UNC leaders that the University’s educational mission supersedes wins and losses in sports.
    Last edited by -jk; 01-09-2015 at 08:56 PM. Reason: clarity

Apropos

Dartmouth headline: Sixty-four students charged with honor code violations due to cheating in a "Sports, Ethics and Religion" class.

From the article:
    The course itself was partly designed for student-athletes, Balmer [the course professor] said, and just under 70 percent of the course’s enrollment of 272 students were athletes. Members of 24 of the College’s 36 varsity athletic teams were enrolled in the course.

“Part of the reason I designed this course was that I had the sense that some athletes coming here to Dartmouth might have felt just a little bit overwhelmed or intimidated academically,” Balmer said. “I wanted to design a course that would appeal to their interests and allow them to have an early success in the classroom, and I’d hoped that they would be able to build on that success throughout their time at Dartmouth.”
    Also,
    Varsity athletics communication director Rick Bender said that he would not discuss disciplinary measures taken by coaches against specific players who were involved in the incident. ... ... Bender said that he is not aware of any students being barred from continued participation in varsity athletics.
    “Coaches will use this as a teaching moment for their teams,” Bender said.
    "The College will not officially comment on disciplinary measures until all proceedings have concluded, likely in mid-January."

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled View Post
    Dartmouth headline: Sixty-four students charged with honor code violations due to cheating in a "Sports, Ethics and Religion" class.

From the article:

Also,

"The College will not officially comment on disciplinary measures until all proceedings have concluded, likely in mid-January."
    Good to see that now that more of the allegations at UNC have come to light that Dartmouth will go on probation. Justice will be served.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Another voice from the UNC faculty speaks: http://chapelboro.com/columns/the-co...forfeit-games/
    Margolis has been a co-author with Jay Smith in the past, so it's like it's a completely new faction, but it is pretty well written.

That is a very well written and succinct response to all of the arguments that have been brought up by UNC "defenders". Is there a way to post that article permanently and prominently on the front door of the offices of every administrator and coach at UNC.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

I'm guessing Lew is not on Bubba's Christmas card list.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    That is a very well written and succinct response to all of the arguments that have been brought up by UNC "defenders". Is there a way to post that article permanently and prominently on the front door of the offices of every administrator and coach at UNC.
    Here's a brief excerpt from Margolis's article:

UNC’s failure to forfeit the games involving players who maintained eligibility by taking fake classes is further evidence that Big Time revenue sports harm universities. The university’s motto, lux et libertas (“light and liberty”), is a powerful metaphor for the core value of honesty or integrity. Without honesty, the entire knowledge-producing architecture of universities collapses in a heap. Without honesty, the “unwavering commitment to excellence” expressed in UNC’s mission statement is meaningless. Taking the initiative to forfeit these tainted games would be an acknowledgment of the wrong-doing, and more importantly a strong statement from UNC leaders that the University’s educational mission supersedes wins and losses in sports.

Let’s be clear about the extent of the dishonesty uncovered in the Wainstein report. Football players were credited with nearly 1000 fake classes and men’s basketball players over 200 fake classes. The report estimated that the grades awarded for these fraudulent classes had a significant impact on eligibility. For example, the fake classes enabled football players and men’s basketball players to reach or maintain the necessary 2.0 grade point average in 25% and 14%, respectively, of the impacted semesters. These figures mean that for any given season teams were likely to have fielded players who were portrayed as academically eligible, but were in fact not.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled View Post

From the article:

Also,

Now I understand why UNC was so enamored with Carol Folt's Dartmouth experience.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Good to see that now that more of the allegations at UNC have come to light that Dartmouth will go on probation. Justice will be served.
    Don't you mean Justise?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Agree. Thorough, articulate, no-nonsense, unanswerable. UNC faculty would be wise to co-sign en masse, retroactively. Top administrators would be wise to follow Margolis's counsel, but it would take some courage.

Also, we owe big thanks to BigWayne for regularly linking to important articles. And thanks to other diligent posters who've provided links.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Don't you mean Justise?
    Hopefully Justise will be served tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Hopefully Justise will be served tomorrow.
    Not just(ise) tomorrow, either.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

"No Justise, no threes"

UNC is retaining some more high priced lawyers.

Fitzgerald and others with the Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom law firm will charge an hourly rate of $990 per partner and a minimum of $450 per associate until the university determines it no longer needs the firm’s services

“The firm is well-resourced to provide comprehensive advice and counsel on a wide range of related litigation matters, including what we anticipate will be very extensive pretrial discovery obligations.”

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Fitzgerald and others with the Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom law firm will charge an hourly rate of $990 per partner and a minimum of $450 per associate until the university determines it no longer needs the firm’s services.
    Damn, that's better job security than working at a mortuary. And pretty much the same thing.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Fitzgerald and others with the Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom law firm will charge an hourly rate of $990 per partner and a minimum of $450 per associate until the university determines it no longer needs the firm’s services

“The firm is well-resourced to provide comprehensive advice and counsel on a wide range of related litigation matters, including what we anticipate will be very extensive pretrial discovery obligations.”
    Glad to hear Danny Meagher is on their team!

I believe UNC had to turn in their response to the Southern Accreditation board. I wonder if hiring lawyers is related to that.

I believe UNC had to turn in their response to the Southern Accreditation board. I wonder if hiring lawyers is related to that.
    Doubtful. Accredidation is not a legal process. More likely gearing up for the lawsuits filled and to be filled.

Of course with UNC, who can be sure.

Yes, that was turned in but it has not been released publicly until they can redact out the names of the personnel involved.