Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

WBB: #10 Duke @ #2 Connecticut

On the 10th anniversary of duke winning in Hartford (was there...sad day...), I figured I'd kick off this thread.

Duke comes into the game with 3 losses, all to ranked opponents, all relatively close. They also come in off a big win against #8 UK at home. They are #1 in rebounding in the country.

Connecticut comes in with 1 loss, an overtime 2 point loss at stanford, who has gone on to lose to #10 texas, #11 UNC, #11 tennessessee, and chatanooga. They lead the country in offense, scoring margin, and shooting %.

Uconn lost two key pieces off their two time defending national championship squad: center Stephanie Dolson, and guard Bria Hartley.

Here's the rundown for the huskies:

PG: Moriah Jefferson: small and exceptionally fast. averaging 10 and 5. Shoots 39% from 3....i wouldn't say she's a threat to blow by you and take it to the hole, but that is never really a big part of geno's offense anyway. She manages the game well and can knock down shots. good for 2-3 steals a game. Duke should be concerned about not turning it over to her in the open court, as she will probably beat everyone down the floor for an easy 2.

SF: Kalena Mosqueda-Lewis...just tied Maya Moore on Uconn's all time 3's made list and is only a few off Taurasi for the school record. She's shooting over 55% on the year. She has really punished duke in the past, hitting 7-11 in last years game. Duke left her wide open for many of those shots, and she made them pay. They're going to have to always be aware of where she is on the court, even if shuffling to double team...

C: Breanna Stewart...national player of the year, and twice F4 MOP. 6'4 with handles, post moves, and a 37% three point shot. averages 17 and 7. She was effectively unstoppable last year while playing across Dolson. This year, she's much more isolated down low, allowing teams to double and triple her...as stanford did when they beat the team. She dominated E-will in last years matchup...24 and 11 vs 9 and 6. If the matchup tends to the way it went last year, duke will have to commit a double.

SG: There have been two players who have gotten the majority of the time here. Early in the season it was Saniya Chong, and she had trouble being effective on the offensive end. She's since been replaced in the starting lineup, but still getting 20 minutes. The minutes and start are now going to freshman kia nurse, who is showing a lot for a freshman, averaging 14 points and 4 assists, while shooting 42% from 3. These two, along with Jefferson will get almost all the minutes at the guard spots.

The Other Tall Person: Uconn has gone with two lineups here, a big one and a small one. Early in the year, they went big, playing Kiah Stokes here. She's a big girl...6'3, on the heavier side...a "banger" if you will...if such a thing were to exist in the women's game. The idea was to slot her in as a drop in replacement for dolson...the stanford game showed that wasn't going to work out. She simply doesn't have the passing nor offensive ability of dolson. This came to light in the stanford game, when the cardinal mostly ignored her to double stewart. She still averages 8-9 boards a game, though not much of an offensive threat. (20 minutes a game)

Since stanford, uconn has mostly gone smaller with morgan tuck. She's slightly smaller at 6'2, and less weight, though much more offensively skilled. She had 25 against ND, and has much more ability to make you think twice about doubling stewart. Unlike Stewart and KML, though, she has no 3 point shot. Recently she's getting about 30 minutes a game.

Gabby Williams (G 5'11) has gotten some garbage time minutes. Don't expect to see her unless the game is in hand.

So so so. how does duke approach this game? I'm not sure if I can give a great answer, since uconn has looked superb since making the aforementioned lineup changes after the stanford game...but i'll give it a shot:

1) don't turn it over...Duke's been absolutely killed in transition by connecticut in the past...limit those live ball turnovers! especially with moriah jefferson out there...with an offense so good, you can't give up easy ones.

2) don't take bad shots assuming you'll get the rebound...Duke is a very good rebounding team, often depending on offensive boards as a component of the offense...it won't be as much of a sure thing against connecticut...and those second chance points will be much harder to come by. Get good looks the first time.

3) temper the matchup with stewart. If E-Will can do it, great. but if she can't, and it starts looking like last year, two things need to happen: E-Will needs to not get in foul trouble, and Duke needs to adjust and bring the double. Hold stewie under 20 and there's a much better chance.

4) Don't ignore KML. as I said, she shot 7-11 last year...and shoots 55%...when you bring that double down low, #1 priority MUST be to ensure that KML is still covered.

Basically you hope you can do what stanford did: double/triple stewie to take her out of the game, and hope uconn shoots poorly from outside. Even better if you can get someone in foul trouble. Uconn has 5 threats on the floor, but not much coming off the bench.

Good luck to all. Go Huskies.
    1200. DDMF.

Excellent set up for this game. Quite good summary of UConn's season so far, with who's contributing (or not) and why (or why not). I don't think it will be Breanna Stewart who could beat Duke this year. Duke has too much height for Breanna in the post and Breanna's 3 pt shot is not falling well this season. I think the key is not letting Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis get going. She is the one I would drape with our best defender. When she has a tough defender playing her tight, she's not shooting the three anywhere close to the 55% clip she averages.

In addition, the Duke team must believe they can beat UConn, even if UConn gets a decent lead. At that game 10 yrs ago, Duke looked really bad and overmatched through most of that game. I was at the game surrounded by UConn fans who looked at me in my Duke gear kind of pitifully. But Duke came out like a bunch of banshees midway through the second half, down by a lot, creating turnovers, forcing tough shots and getting in the heads of the UConn players, leading to a lot of missed free throws.

This is a winnable game for Duke, but only if this Duke team believes they can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    On the 10th anniversary of duke winning in Hartford (was there...sad day...), I figured I'd kick off this thread.

Duke comes into the game with 3 losses, all to ranked opponents, all relatively close. They also come in off a big win against #8 UK at home. They are #1 in rebounding in the country.

Connecticut comes in with 1 loss, an overtime 2 point loss at stanford, who has gone on to lose to #10 texas, #11 UNC, #11 tennessessee, and chatanooga. They lead the country in offense, scoring margin, and shooting %.

Uconn lost two key pieces off their two time defending national championship squad: center Stephanie Dolson, and guard Bria Hartley.

PG: Moriah Jefferson: small and exceptionally fast. averaging 10 and 5. Shoots 39% from 3....i wouldn't say she's a threat to blow by you and take it to the hole, but that is never really a big part of geno's offense anyway. She manages the game well and can knock down shots. good for 2-3 steals a game. Duke should be concerned about not turning it over to her in the open court, as she will probably beat everyone down the floor for an easy 2.

SF: Kalena Mosqueda-Lewis...just tied Maya Moore on Uconn's all time 3's made list and is only a few off Taurasi for the school record. She's shooting over 55% on the year. She has really punished duke in the past, hitting 7-11 in last years game. Duke left her wide open for many of those shots, and she made them pay. They're going to have to always be aware of where she is on the court, even if shuffling to double team...

C: Breanna Stewart...national player of the year, and twice F4 MOP. 6'4 with handles, post moves, and a 37% three point shot. averages 17 and 7. She was effectively unstoppable last year while playing across Dolson. This year, she's much more isolated down low, allowing teams to double and triple her...as stanford did when they beat the team. She dominated E-will in last years matchup...24 and 11 vs 9 and 6. If the matchup tends to the way it went last year, duke will have to commit a double.

SG: There have been two players who have gotten the majority of the time here. Early in the season it was Saniya Chong, and she had trouble being effective on the offensive end. She's since been replaced in the starting lineup, but still getting 20 minutes. The minutes and start are now going to freshman kia nurse, who is showing a lot for a freshman, averaging 14 points and 4 assists, while shooting 42% from 3. These two, along with Jefferson will get almost all the minutes at the guard spots.

The Other Tall Person: Uconn has gone with two lineups here, a big one and a small one. Early in the year, they went big, playing Kiah Stokes here. She's a big girl...6'3, on the heavier side...a "banger" if you will...if such a thing were to exist in the women's game. The idea was to slot her in as a drop in replacement for dolson...the stanford game showed that wasn't going to work out. She simply doesn't have the passing nor offensive ability of dolson. This came to light in the stanford game, when the cardinal mostly ignored her to double stewart. She still averages 8-9 boards a game, though not much of an offensive threat. (20 minutes a game)

Since stanford, uconn has mostly gone smaller with morgan tuck. She's slightly smaller at 6'2, and less weight, though much more offensively skilled. She had 25 against ND, and has much more ability to make you think twice about doubling stewart. Unlike Stewart and KML, though, she has no 3 point shot. Recently she's getting about 30 minutes a game.

Gabby Williams (G 5'11) has gotten some garbage time minutes. Don't expect to see her unless the game is in hand.

So so so. how does duke approach this game? I'm not sure if I can give a great answer, since uconn has looked superb since making the aforementioned lineup changes after the stanford game...but i'll give it a shot:

1) don't turn it over...Duke's been absolutely killed in transition by connecticut in the past...limit those live ball turnovers! especially with moriah jefferson out there...with an offense so good, you can't give up easy ones.

2) don't take bad shots assuming you'll get the rebound...Duke is a very good rebounding team, often depending on offensive boards as a component of the offense...it won't be as much of a sure thing against connecticut...and those second chance points will be much harder to come by. Get good looks the first time.

3) temper the matchup with stewart. If E-Will can do it, great. but if she can't, and it starts looking like last year, two things need to happen: E-Will needs to not get in foul trouble, and Duke needs to adjust and bring the double. Hold stewie under 20 and there's a much better chance.

4) Don't ignore KML. as I said, she shot 7-11 last year...and shoots 55%...when you bring that double down low, #1 priority MUST be to ensure that KML is still covered.

Basically you hope you can do what stanford did: double/triple stewie to take her out of the game, and hope uconn shoots poorly from outside. Even better if you can get someone in foul trouble. Uconn has 5 threats on the floor, but not much coming off the bench.

In case you've forgotten what happened the last time Duke played in Hartford, here's a little reminder.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

Tried to spork you for the excellent UConn scouting report, but well, you know. No sporks for the Go Huskies thing, and "Duke" is always capitalized.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    "Duke" is always capitalized.
    "dukebasketballreport.com" says different

But it's mostly out of laziness. I missed uconn and connecticut several times

Not thrilled about the ole Lady Blue Devils' prospects for this one, but you never know. That's why they play the game.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Not thrilled about the ole Lady Blue Devils' prospects for this one, but you never know. That's why they play the game.
    They are not "Lady" Blue Devils - They are Blue Devils

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    They are not "Lady" Blue Devils - They are Blue Devils
    Thank you for pointing that out. Yes, they are Blue Devil women. They aren't out there sipping tea.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    In case you've forgotten what happened the last time Duke played in Hartford, here's a little reminder.

I was there. That game was another step up for the program. Great, great fun! Would be nice for our program to return to that level of play. It will be a great game to assess where we are in relation to where we were.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

It was that article which spurned me to finally write a scouting report....I watched the whole video and it hurt. I feel somewhat cartharsis-ized (definitely not a word...) when i see the "2004 #1 final AP ranking" in cameron, though, since I know who ended up actually cutting down the nets (it's the small things).

It was certainly a big win, along with the tournament win 2006...and it really kicked off the duke's future among the top teams in the game.
    1200. DDMF.

Maybe it's just me

But I'll miss Geno. He's no saint but he has never bothered me like some other women's coaches I won't name, even if they happen to be in CH and College Park. Not to mention the former men's coach in Storrs.

Quote Originally Posted by AIM4excellence View Post
    I was there. That game was another step up for the program. Great, great fun! Would be nice for our program to return to that level of play. It will be a great game to assess where we are in relation to where we were.
    Win or lose tonight, comparisons between this year's team and the 03-04 team are inherently unfair. 03-04 was the most talented team Duke has ever had (five WNBA players). And lest we forget how silly it is to compare teams based on what happens in the crapshoot that is the NCAA tournament, the 03-04 team lost in the Elite Eight.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    But I'll miss Geno. He's no saint but he has never bothered me like some other women's coaches I won't name, even if they happen to be in CH and College Park. Not to mention the former men's coach in Storrs.
    I'm impressed by anyone who can elevate the standards of his/her chosen profession and broaden the field's body of knowledge. Geno has outclassed every women's coach the game has produced, including Pat Summit IMO. Only Notre Dame's coach is within striking distance. As much as I admire her for her recovery from cancer, the nameless coach in CH has done a pretty decent job at times of dragging the game into the gutter.

DBR Chat is still open!

-jk

Duke's talent is unmistakable, their execution is unwatchable

First post in years...

Frustrated watching first 8 minutes. Duke's women have all the talent but their execution looks like they're playing a summer league game and not the two-time defending national champions. A small selection:

- Making moves before actually catching ball, which goes through hands and out of bounds
    - Dribbling before even looking up court, leading to an obvious charge
    - Power dribbling in place off an offensive rebound, going nowhere, but allowing UCONN defense to recover so you can miss a two-foot shot
    - Allowing shot clock to expire without any realization it was dwindling down

If there's a more talented yet less disciplined (i.e. coached) team in the country, I haven't seen it. Our women deserve better.

Quote Originally Posted by Snork View Post
    If there's a more talented yet less disciplined (i.e. coached) team in the country, I haven't seen.
    Might want to check ten miles down the road first.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Might want to check ten miles down the road first.
    I did.

Last year Duke had a top 5 recruiting class and UNC was not in the top 20 (based on ESPN rankings). The year before UNC was 1 and Duke was 2 in the same rankings. And Duke won the recruiting battle over UNC the prior 2 years as well (at least based on top 50 players).

For our women, the recruiting is among the best in the country. On-court results fall far short. It's frustrating to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by snork View Post
    first post in years...

Frustrated watching first 8 minutes. Duke's women have all the talent but their execution looks like they're playing a summer league game and not the two-time defending national champions. A small selection:

- making moves before actually catching ball, which goes through hands and out of bounds
    - dribbling before even looking up court, leading to an obvious charge
    - power dribbling in place off an offensive rebound, going nowhere, but allowing uconn defense to recover so you can miss a two-foot shot
    - allowing shot clock to expire without any realization it was dwindling down

if there's a more talented yet less disciplined (i.e. Coached) team in the country, i haven't seen it. Our women deserve better.
    post of the day! Bulls eye! Ringer! Snake eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by Snork View Post
    I did.

Last year Duke had a top 5 recruiting class and UNC was not in the top 20 (based on ESPN rankings). The year before UNC was 1 and Duke was 2 in the same rankings. And Duke won the recruiting battle over UNC the prior 2 years as well (at least based on top 50 players).
    Recruiting rankings are an imperfect measure of talent. Especially when they include players that are no longer there...

For our women, the recruiting is among the best in the country. On-court results fall far short. It's frustrating to watch.
    Eh, "far short" is objectively false. Duke has had top-5 recruiting results and top-10 on-court results, which is what it is. The frustrating part is that there doesn't seem to be any reason to expect improvement at this point, but top-10 isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by AIM4excellence View Post
    post of the day! Bulls eye! Ringer! Snake eyes!
    LOL. Anybody else get a list of "similar threads" at the bottom? They're all the same beatdown by UConn year after year. I wonder if the post game remarks will also be similar. If I hear the words "they're just more talented" I just might puke.