Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

FB transfers to Duke

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Driskel ... As a sophomore, he led the Gators to 11 wins while throwing for 1,646 yards, 12 touchdowns and five interceptions. Coming out of high school, Driskel was a four-star recruit and the No. 1 pro-style quarterback prospect in the country. ...

The redshirt junior has one year of eligibility remaining and because he’s graduating from Florida, he could play immediately next season

Golly, a top-ranked pro-style quarterback coached by Cut. Might work.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Driskel ... As a sophomore, he led the Gators to 11 wins while throwing for 1,646 yards, 12 touchdowns and five interceptions. Coming out of high school, Driskel was a four-star recruit and the No. 1 pro-style quarterback prospect in the country. ...

The redshirt junior has one year of eligibility remaining and because he’s graduating from Florida, he could play immediately next season

Golly, a top-ranked pro-style quarterback coached by Cut. Might work.
    Except that three years of college ball have shown that Driskel's HS rankings were...optimistic.

Duvall's skepticism is warranted -- Driskel had one solid season at Florida as a soph, where it looked like his rankings were justified. But since then, he's had an injury and come back and played erratically. The insistence on sticking with Driskel at QB this season is one of the reasons Muschamp got fired.

I'm not sure. From a distance, it looks like we have a talented guy who got very messed up -- whether mechanically or mentally, I don't know. But it's not unreasonable to think Cut's the guy who can straighten him back and get him back in track.

On the other hand, bringing in a one-year guy is not a great movie for the program. If it happens, I think it tells us a lot about how Cut feels about his returning QBs. If he really likes Sirk or Pierre of Beohme, I can't see doing this. If he's worried that none can do the job, then is may be necessary.

I trust Cut's judgment on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I trust Cut's judgment on this one everything.
    Fixed it for you.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Mixed feelings on this one- we have a stockpile of (unproven) quarterbacks.

In Cut I trust. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out, and if some QBs currently on the roster become "athletes", or fill holes at other positions.

Heck with the Wildcat, we could put a QB at every WR position and a Madden-esque portfolio of trick plays.
    (I kid, but how much fun would that be to watch if it worked?)

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Mixed feelings on this one- we have a stockpile of (unproven) quarterbacks.

In Cut I trust. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out, and if some QBs currently on the roster become "athletes", or fill holes at other positions.

Heck with the Wildcat, we could put a QB at every WR position and a Madden-esque portfolio of trick plays.
    (I kid, but how much fun would that be to watch if it worked?)
    My take: More is better than less. He competes for the job, and if he's better than the others, he plays. If not, he sits. No lose situation for Cut. The competition may elevate others. And that's a plus too.

I originally posted this elsewhere, but think it's worth repeating here:
    ----
    The more I think about it, the less I like a Driskel transfer. He would steal PT from at least two guys who are well thought of, Sirk and Boehme, and know the system. Plus, there is redshirt freshman Nicodem Pierre, also well thought of and who might be better than the other two.

Moreover, Cut has Quentin Harris in the truck as the only recruited QB for next fall. Some have rated Harris fairly high (3 ★), but he is from a prep school league in Connecticut not known for high level performers. Cut apparently thinks he's better than 3 ★, so I guess we'll find out. (I know, as a freshman, Harris is unlikely to be a serious QB candidate until he matures. Probable red shirt at best. Still, he's coming from the bottom.) All four looked carefully at the Duke roster as they made their decision. Inserting a transfer senior would shake the applecart at least to some extent. Getting beaten out by a peer would not be a concern for those guys who have already paid the same dues. That is expected. Not so much for a senior transfer.

I don't like such transfers from a team chemistry POV. In fact, our own graduate student transfer, Brandon Connette, didn't fare that well in his new system at Fresno State.
    ---
    And, of course, there is Driskel's performance issue. Who says he would be be better than the guys we have coming up? Not to put too fine a point on it, but isn't Driskel damaged goods? Besides, if he still needs hours at Florida to graduate (and I have no idea), he'd miss spring practice at his transferee school. Not good for the fall.

And just because he says he wants to come doesn't mean that he has had a positive answer from the staff.

Lookie lookie...

Braxton Miller is looking at Duke as well...
    http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-...e-air-34184510

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Lookie lookie...

Driskel, ehhhhh

Braxton Miller, totally different story. Come on Jeremy Cash, bring in ya boy!!!
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Where is Scott Bracey expected to fit in at Duke? The Benedictine QB/WR who will be an incoming frosh in the fall? Just curious, maybe as a DB??

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Where is Scott Bracey expected to fit in at Duke? The Benedictine QB/WR who will be an incoming frosh in the fall? Just curious, maybe as a DB??
    Isn't he high school class of 2016?
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

As many have previously expressed:

BIG FAT NO regarding Driskel.

PROFOUNDLY PLUMP AND ROBUST YES on Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Lookie lookie...

As a graduate, Miller is free to transfer anywhere without restriction?

If not Duke, I hope he chooses to play for Jim Harbaugh

The only NCAA restriction is that he must go to a school for a grad course not available at his school--a rule not tightly enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    The only NCAA restriction is that he must go to a school for a grad course not available at his school--a rule not tightly enforced.
    UM would create a new graduate program that OSU doesn't offer to get a former Heisman candidate from its arch-rival

Bring them on

It's very rare for a college team to have too many excellent quarterbacks. A first class quarterback and a season without major injury would be great.

SoCal

Braxton Miller!? Like is this seriously a possibility? No way right? Just lip service, has to be. The more I think about it, the crazier it seems to me, but potentially incredible. He would be the best player in the whole league next year, barring a Jameis return. This guy was a pre-season Heisman favorite, and justifiably so, I think. This would be absurd. Late Christmas present indeed.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

I am not 100% positive as the rules are hard to understand, but I think the undergraduate institution has to be a willing participant to the transfer. They have to give a release and/or rescind the scholarship for the graduate transfer exception to be approved. It is important to remember that the rule allowing these transfers is an "exception" to the base rules.

While looking for the rules, I found this link on a study of graduate transfer results in terms of getting graduate degrees. Unsurprisingly, the majority of these "graduate students" seem to lose interest in their studies after their eligibility runs out.

I wonder ifKurt Roper put the bug in his ear.

I wonder where Kurt will be next year.