Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    We went to eleven at that moment.

Wow, is Kevin Ollie a huge whiner or what? The dude was over-dramatically reacting to calls all night like a toddler having a tantrum, and most of his players mimic this ultra-whiny behavior as well. Just play the game, for cryin' out tears!

Man, is our defense this season a thing of beauty!
    Frozone
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Isn't that the truth, my twin city friend. Tyus turns it up a notch when we play big games. It looks like he's ho-hum against the Elon's but against the big name schools, he turns it on. Jeckle and Hyde like. GoDuke!
    Tyus is a mature college point guard, and he's only 18. (a) He gets everyone else into the offense. (b) If others are struggling, he looks to score. (c) If the opponents put pressure on the point, he can drive and dish or finish. I thought the last point was especially relevant against UConn.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Most 7 footers cannot catch the ball moving down the lane cleanly without traveling. The passer needs to know where to get a player the ball. Let him get into position on the blocks where he has the advantage, not in a position where a turnover is likely.

Even if we take the view that MP3 doesn't have that in his arsenal but others do -- he doesn't, so don't feed him there.

Passing is not just finding someone open, it's finding an open player in a positive situation.
    You're right. Marshall is perhaps the most improved player this year, but we can't expect him to become an exceptional 7 footer overnight. He still has problems gripping the ball and receiving passes that surprise him. I'll bet he's grabbing those passes in practice, which is likely why he gets fed like that in a game. I predict we'll see improvement on that score both from the increased selectivity of the passers and Marshall's own better focus on always being ready.

I certainly don't want to seem too much an MP3 critic. I love what he brings to this team, and I love the curve of his continued development as he gets more PT.

Plus, he makes his 3s and FTs!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Another possibility is he isn't that bad. The refs called 24 fouls on UConn to 16 on Duke. I don't like Hess but fans of all teams have the perspective that the refs hate them. I'm sure the UConn boards are full of complaints about the refs today.

Amile Jefferson is really looking good playing his natural PF position alongside a legitimate C. I expect he will have many more games this season where he either records a double - double or is in the ball park. He is fantastic in the high post passing and driving to the hoop, if he can start to knockdown the foul line jumper, he will be in the All ACC conversation.

Marshall Plumlee remains limited. We play 4 on 5 on offense due to his inability to catch the ball. Moreover, his effectiveness as a rebounder is limited by him fumbling away the ball instead of securing it high.
    This observation about Amile is dead on. And if folks try to double Jah, Amile will kill from the weak side.

This observation about Amile is dead on. And if folks try to double Jah, Amile will kill from the weak side.
    I got the sense that this was game-planned by Coach K going into this game. Take advantage of the Jahcentricity coming off his great games against Wisc and Elon, and distribute out of the doubleteams more than usual. Result: Scoreboard and Box Score. Just like the switching done against Wisc.

Yes, Coach K is pretty good.

Some interesting tweets coming out of the game.

John Gasaway ‏@JohnGasaway 2h2 hours ago
    Duke turnover % through first 8 games: 13.9. Over the last 2: 25.5. Shooting 29% on 3s over last 4 contests.

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 1h1 hour ago
    NBA Scout: “Obviously, Okafor’s the best player in college basketball, it’s not even close'

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Expect Louisville to pressure our guards as well. Tyus will need some help so Rasheed needs to works on his ball handling.
    Y'know, you can also beat pressure with this thing called passing. In fact, it's much preferred and more important than "Rasheed working on his ballhandling."

Sorry, cranky this morning with a seven week old at home. Not sleeping a lot.

SI's Luke Winn concludes that Duke's ability to win in different ways in different places makes us a legit title threat

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...ryan-boatright

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    SI's Luke Winn concludes that Duke's ability to win in different ways in different places makes us a legit title threat

Thanks for posting, and certainly agree with that point.

Not crazy that Winn predicts all 3 starting freshmen will be in the NBA next year, but que sera sera. I'll certainly enjoy watching this team this year.

Looked like a Big East Game

Not a pretty game to watch but we won. Next play.

UConn played rough and were quicker than we were. It took a while to adjust but we did enough.

What is with Purvis? He smacked Tyus 3 times before the refs finally called it.

We clearly need some time off to refocus. I'm concerned about Grayson's head - every time he comes in he looks very tentative. Same with Matt Jones. Both seem to be thinking too much and not playing.

Some additional stuff from the K presser:
    http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...db_oem_id=4200

-Ways the team needs to improve reactions to Jah's gravity
    ---Amile needs to be ready to score, "If he shot faked tonight, he'd have scored 20"
    ---The perimeter guys need to anticipate Jah's kick-out off the double and be ready to shoot
    ---Related to the above, they also need to be ready to shot fake and drive off the aggressive close-out

-Haven't been strong with the ball the past 2 games which is a problem because our halfcourt D has been awesome and we wind up giving points away in transition
    -Tyus handled himself quite nicely mano-a-mano vs Boatwright which is an extremely tough match-up

K had several funny lines:
    -This one made all the wire reports so you have probably seen it but it was still very funny, ""They were out to lunch," Krzyzewski said, explaining why he asked for the break just 41 seconds into the second half of Duke's game against Connecticut. "They were in la-la land."
    -Talking about the Holiday break, "They need to get away from classes and see their families...they need to get away from me. Actually, they never want to leave me, I am always pushing them away"
    -On Winslow's missed lay-up in the second half, "He misses that lay-up...that's the highest my feet have come above my waist in 20 years"

It's really hard to vote for the player of the match because, even if Jahlil scores few points, he distorts the court so much that the other players get easy opportunities for both points and rebounds.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Worried about depth. Not many minutes from the bench,poor productivity. If or when our first five gets in foul trouble we may have serious problems.
    Nah wouldn't worry. Not gonna be many games in which Sheed doesn't score. He had a bad game, and when he has a bad game the entire second unit will be prone to stinking it up as well. I think the Grayson move was more than him earning some time. I think K was trying to light a fire in Sheed, and Winslow. Seem to work for Winslow, Sheed...not so much. But he will be fine and so will the bench

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    A good game that had the feel of a first round NCAA game.
    I hope we have a high enough seed so that a game against a team like UConn would be a second round (round of 32) game. UConn is much better than a #16 or #15 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    Nah wouldn't worry. Not gonna be many games in which Sheed doesn't score. He had a bad game, and when he has a bad game the entire second unit will be prone to stinking it up as well. I think the Grayson move was more than him earning some time. I think K was trying to light a fire in Sheed, and Winslow. Seem to work for Winslow, Sheed...not so much. But he will be fine and so will the bench
    Yeah, Sulaimon just had an awful game offensively. Nothing went his way: silly turnovers, too much pressure, double dribbling, poor shooting... not his day.

I suspect that Sulaimon will absolutely be working on this for the next few weeks.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I hope we have a high enough seed so that a game against a team like UConn would be a second round (round of 32) game. UConn is much better than a #16 or #15 seed.
    How much better, though? With a projected RPI in the 70-range and not many chances left for a quality win, a high seed might not meet an 11 or 12-seeded UConn until the third round at the earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think they are better than a 15 or 16 seed but their resume will have to improve to get a higher seed. Boatright is terrific and Hamilton is a good player. Purvis seems to have regressed and I couldn't tell much about Brimah (the 40 point center) as he saw most of the game from the bench because of foul trouble. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Lar77 View Post
    Not a pretty game to watch but we won. Next play.

UConn played rough and were quicker than we were. It took a while to adjust but we did enough.

What is with Purvis? He smacked Tyus 3 times before the refs finally called it.

We clearly need some time off to refocus. I'm concerned about Grayson's head - every time he comes in he looks very tentative. Same with Matt Jones. Both seem to be thinking too much and not playing.
    I think Grayson was so shocked to be inserted last night that he wasn't ready. Hopefully that experience will make him be ready next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

Yeah, it really was impressive to me that we won when our offense was perhaps the worst it's been all year. If we had gotten our live ball turnovers under control, it wouldn't have been such an ugly win. Our offense is so ridiculously efficient and our half-court defense is so stout that turning the ball over is really just the worst thing we can do (as I guess that's always true, but still . . .). Take away a few fast-break points for the Huskies and give us a few extra possessions with shot attempts on the offensive end and this game becomes a relatively comfortable double digit win even if our shooting percentage was no better on those extra possessions.

One thing that helped us in this game was that we really defended ball screens well. It was interesting because we employed a variety of strategies. We iced a lot of ball screens on the wings, fought through most at the top of the key, and then switched on others. Amile even had a really good hedge and recover. Even with all those live ball turnovers and fast breaks that we gave up, UCONN still only managed .856 points per possession. I know they are far from a dominant offensive team (103rd in KenPom), but man, that was still a really good defensive performance. We definitely benefited because, besides Boatright, UCONN couldn't buy a three pointer. But still, our combo of switching, icing, and fighting through screens helped us keep the Huskies really out of sorts in the half court. I'm not too worried about our offense, even the turnovers. I suspect that this game will prove to be one of our worst of the year on the offensive end. And while we probably will turn the ball over more against good competition than we were early in the season, I also think our turnover rate the past two games has been on the high end of the spectrum. On the other end of the court, however, I hope that this is a sign that our improved defense will hold up as the schedule gets tougher. We will be really tough to beat if we protect the ball better and also play defense like we did last night.

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    I think Grayson was so shocked to be inserted last night that he wasn't ready. Hopefully that experience will make him be ready next time.
    He did look a bit shell shocked there...fotunately Purvis had the same look on his face, I think both were caused by the intensity of the Defense the two teams were throwing down.