Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    I think the reason the first PK was a yellow instead of a red was that the Germany player did not have possession of the ball when the foul occurred. It was a long cross over everyone's head and the US player got out-hustled for the ball and reached. Granted, having the ball is not a prerequisite for a DOGSO call, and I'll admit that it was a close call that could have very easily gone the other way. Similarly, the US PK was another borderline call that the US received. I've seen that one go both ways, but more often than not it is a free kick rather than a PK.

However, and this is important, Germany missed their PK, while the US connected on theirs. They can't blame the referee for that one, and it is really the only reason the other calls are questioned. The missed PK is what turned the tide of the game. The US's second goal was icing on the cake and silenced a lot of the criticisms around calls. Had Germany hit their PK, the game would have unfolded very differently.
    Yeah, the Germans can't really complain about the outcome when:

- They missed their PK (pretty badly, too)
    - The US scored a second goal
    - The US outplayed them for 90 minutes, and it could have easily been 4-0 or 5-0

All that said, while I agree with you on the US' PK, I think the DOGSO rule is pretty clear, and the US' foul on that play was textbook of deserving a DOGSO red.

Still, the US has been on the receiving end of enough bad calls in big games (including WCs), that I'll take benefiting, for once!

Oh, dear. That was heartbreaking. Oof.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

How rare are "own goals?"

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Oh, dear. That was heartbreaking. Oof.
    Becoming more and more of a soccer fan. It looked to me like the English player was trying to kick the ball away and just put it in her own net. Had she let it go then a Japanese player would have had a good shot.

Does this kind of thing happen often?

Thanks
    SoCal

You are correct, it was a poor clearance. In soccer, any time a ball is simply "kicked away", that's referred to as a clearance. You generally clear it away from your goal, but sometimes you might intentionally clear it above or to the side of your goal, giving away a corner kick to avoid giving an opponent a clear shot at goal.

Own goals generally happen close to the goal mouth, often on corner kicks. These are a little more understandable. This one was pretty bad. Bassett had two more defenders behind her, plus her goalie. She tried to hit it with her right foot, which is going to do less to counter the ball's existing right to left trajectory than a left footed clearance would have done.

I would guess something like 5% of goals are own-goals.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Becoming more and more of a soccer fan. It looked to me like the English player was trying to kick the ball away and just put it in her own net. Had she let it go then a Japanese player would have had a good shot.

Does this kind of thing happen often?
    I would not say it happens often, but is not at all unheard of. They happen where a defender deflects a shot into the goal fairly often, maybe once every 10 matches, but those are not as bad as when a cross or a pass gets deflected into the goal, which is what happened last night. Obviously, the stage and importance of the game make last night's more significant.

Here is a compilation of some other OGs.

Perhaps the most famous own goal ever, at least to Americans, came in the 1994 World Cup. In a crucial match against the US, Colombia's Andreas Escobar committed an own goal on a cross which allowed the US to win the match 2-1 and eliminated Colombia from the Cup. A few days later, back at home in Colombia, Escobar was shot and killed in a late night argument. His killer yelled "Goooooaaaaal!" when he shot Escobar. The murder was widely seen as punishment for the own goal.

-Jason "ESPN did a fabulous documentary on Colombian football called The Two Escobars" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    You are correct, it was a poor clearance. In soccer, any time a ball is simply "kicked away", that's referred to as a clearance. You generally clear it away from your goal, but sometimes you might intentionally clear it above or to the side of your goal, giving away a corner kick to avoid giving an opponent a clear shot at goal.

Own goals generally happen close to the goal mouth, often on corner kicks. These are a little more understandable. This one was pretty bad. Bassett had two more defenders behind her, plus her goalie. She tried to hit it with her right foot, which is going to do less to counter the ball's existing right to left trajectory than a left footed clearance would have done.

I would guess something like 5% of goals are own-goals.
    I'll take this opportunity to link one of my all-time favorite own goals:

Usa! Usa! Usa!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Usa! Usa! Usa!
    That was one of the most entertaining soccer games I have ever watched. It was really played at a high level. Go USA!

Got em!! I and about 100+ of my supporters group hit up the White House after the match to celebrate. Epic victory for the USWNT!!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

The only way it would have been more emotionally satisfying was my pre-tournament dream final. That would have a been a scoreless game with Canada until deep into injury time with Sydney Leroux scoring a late winner. That would have sent the local fans home even less happy. Of course, the way it turned out, a lot of American fans were able to get into the stadium.

Now it's time for the men to get a little inspiration and get ready to take the Gold Cup.

USA!!! That was awesome! Way to go ladies!

Don't be late

I turned on the game about 9 minutes in, and it was already 2-0! Carli Lloyd, wow, what a performance ... and not just the goals. She played all-out in the final. For the most part, a clean game. Couple minor embellishments on fouls, but worlds apart from playing certain teams composed of unemployed theater majors. A high level of scoring does not necessarily make for a great game, but the scoring shots were mostly splendid ones. Jill Ellis was masterful in allocating players' time ... the torch has passed, and she didn't wait til after the final to effectively do it. Would Pia have done it?

About the only somewhat disappointing performances were Alex Morgan, whose shots were not only not going in, but off-target a fair bit, and Tobin Heath - despite her goal last night, I really failed to see the value brought by her in the tournament. I'm no expert, so maybe I'm not watching for the right things, but so often she seemed like a turnover machine. True, her goal came at an important time - shutting the door when Japan had halved the lead. But she was largely in the right place at the right time. She didn't create it, she just executed a quick, point-blank shot. The proof is in the pudding though, and I presume Jill Ellis can better see where she adds value over the next person who can play her position.

It's hard to judge Hope Solo on this tournament. She was so rarely challenged, and last night, I'm not sure she had any chance against the two that got by - esp the OG - there's no way to not be out of position on that one unless the ball comes off right at you. In years past I remember times she "stood on her head" to make saves, but there were few realistic opportunities here to do so. I guess maybe we can give her some credit for the head games she presumably played prior to the PK in the semifinal, which arguably led to the shot going wide.

I probably should have started a Duke Soccer in the pros thread at some point, but Sean Davis has gone from his senior year at Duke to scoring two goals against Chelsea.