Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Marc Rogers, writing for Daily Beast, doubts that North Korea was actually behind the hack.

He has his reasons and I'll let the internet security experts on the board determine the validity of his opinion. I am not one of those experts.
    Maybe the FBI has some investigatory expertise. Just a thought.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Maybe the FBI has some investigatory expertise. Just a thought.
    Yes, but it is not immune to politics; quite the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Yes, but it is not immune to politics; quite the contrary.
    Bloggers with zero expertise are incorruptible though, and therefore more reliable. Like Adrian Woj, for example.

Do you have anything to suggest that the FBI's investgation here was politically motivated in its conclusion? Other than a healthy distrust of everything from centers of power?

Bloggers with zero expertise are incorruptible though, and therefore more reliable. Like Adrian Woj, for example.
    I made no such assertion only that the FBI's version should not be taken for granted.

Do you have anything to suggest that the FBI's investgation here was politically motivated in its conclusion? Other than a healthy distrust of everything from centers of power?
    "Writing samples from hackers claiming responsibility for leaking finance reports and emails by Sony employees suggest the native language was Russian, according to Taia Global, a cyber security consulting group.

“Our preliminary results show that Sony's attackers were most likely Russian, possibly but not likely Korean and definitely not Mandarin Chinese or German.”

Linguists analyzed about 1,600 words in strangely worded emails and posts by the “Guardians of Peace,” but the findings are not enough to conclude North Korea spawned the cyber attacks that started Nov. 24."
    The list of political (mis)behavior by the FBI is long and legendary. But that was not the point. The point was and remains that in the absence of evidence to back it up, there is ample precedent to be sceptical.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    I made no such assertion only that the FBI's version should not be taken for granted.

The list of political (mis)behavior by the FBI is long and legendary. But that was not the point. The point was and remains that in the absence of evidence to back it up, there is ample precedent to be sceptical.
    Yeah, I see the point. In fact, I've got these black helicopters driving me freaking nuts. And me all out of tin foil.

Yeah, I see the point. In fact, I've got these black helicopters driving me freaking nuts. And me all out of tin foil.
    Not to worry. I'm sure you will find more tin foil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Marc Rogers, writing for Daily Beast, doubts that North Korea was actually behind the hack.

He has his reasons and I'll let the internet security experts on the board determine the validity of his opinion. I am not one of those experts.

Looks like Rogers' point of view has some support. https://securityledger.com/2014/12/n...way-from-dprk/

Bruce Schneider has his doubts as well. https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv...rth_korea.html

If there is no electronic trail which can be followed, then it becomes a standard search for who had reason to attack Sony, as opposed to any other institution. North Korea would seem to be pretty far down the list as NK did not initially appear to have an anti Sony motive, since they didn't mention "The Interview" until the second communication. Doesn't that suggest someone co-opting the incident in order to send investigators off on a snipe hunt? Lotta snipe in North Korea?

h/t JA
    Last edited by Jim3k; 12-30-2014 at 04:15 AM. Reason: add the hat tip