Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke v. UConn (Thu 12/18 8 pm ET, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

It's at the Meadowlands, so we can't possibly lose, can we?

My one singular wish

Is that Okafor foul-out all of the Huskies' front line. It would be poetic, and almost (but not quite) justice.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    You know better than to post things like that.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Brimah

UConn's center, Brimah, scored 40 points in his last game, so the center matchup will be very important. Brimah is listed at 7 feet, 230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Is that Okafor foul-out all of the Huskies' front line. It would be poetic, and almost (but not quite) justice.
    Now this plan I like.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Arizona . . . Laettner's freshman year . . . .

(The game where Laettner missed some late free throws to lose; Dick Nixon came into the locker room and told Christian -- "Don't worry, son -- I've blown the big one, too" -- true story)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Arizona . . . Laettner's freshman year . . . .

(The game where Laettner missed some late free throws to lose; Dick Nixon came into the locker room and told Christian -- "Don't worry, son -- I've blown the big one, too" -- true story)
    I remember watching that game at my grandmother's house.

Strangely enough, Laettner went on to not blow it many, many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Maybe that's why Justise was sent here...

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    Maybe that's why Justise was sent here...
    I thought about that, but I don't think a phonetic equivalent will quite make up for this being a regular season game. But if there's a rematch in the Tourney . . . . .

My least favorite teams are UNC, Kentucky, and UCONN in that order.

I really hope that this is the season where we defeat all 3.

Go Duke!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

My four least favorites!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    My least favorite teams are UNC, Kentucky, and UCONN in that order.

I really hope that this is the season where we defeat all 3.

Go Duke!
    My first 3 are the same as yours, but my 4th is Maryland. Matter of fact you can squeeze them in between UNC and Kentucky. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    My first 3 are the same as yours, but my 4th is Maryland. Matter of fact you can squeeze them in between UNC and Kentucky. GoDuke!
    What's a Maryland? I forgot those existed...

arrright

as I am probably the most familiar with uconn I figured I'd give a rundown:

PG:
    Boatright. Everyone knows him...he played robin to nappier's batman last year...IMO? not as good offensively...not as efficient...still a quick guy, hounding defender, but often takes ill-advised shots that guys like nappier could hit consistently, but he cannot...much more emotional...took him a while last year to realize that he wouldn't be the #1 guy...and he sometimes had issues on the court...in one instance he and nappier almost came to blows last year...likely the best PG that tyus has faced yet this year...should be an interesting matchup on both sides of the court

SG:
    Rodney purvis was the PG to be...but he has been hobbled by a high ankle sprain, limiting his minutes and points this year...hasn't been a scorer much, though an okay defender. hard to know how much is from his injury, or how much he needs to be on ball...Either way, I think his biggest role will be chasing quinn around, or keeping him out of the way of boatright on the other end

He has been splitting minutes with Sam Cassel Jr, who has taken over the starting spot in the absence of purvis. pesky defender, though doesn't provide much offensively. Terrance samuel is the other guard who gets big minutes. He is much like Cassel, IMO...little value on the offensive end, though just as pesky on defense.

SF:
    Dan Hamilton is a freshman wing...one of the young bright spots on this team, not as good as justice, to be sure, but among the better wings in his class, IMO. Pretty consistently puts up point totals in the low teens. I don't think justice will have trouble getting the better of this matchup.

PF:
    Kentan Facey: apparently this guy plays for uconn

C:
    Amida Brimah: you saw he put up 40 the other day against coppin state...and that was probably the best game of his career. This man is in the business of blocking shots...there was some absurd stat last year like he blocked some 22% of ALL shots taken while he was on the floor...his offensive game has improved somewhat this year, it's still not nearly as polished as oak's. oak's an inch shorter, but has brimah by 40 lbs. Comared to kaminsky, brimah is a better blocker, and worse rebounder. It is an interesting matchup, because jahlil had "only" 13 and 6 vs kaminsky. Brimah, like most raw big men, has been plagued by foul troubles, but has seemed to improve this year, going from 16 to 28 minutes a game, and okafor hasn't done superbly at getting to the line.

Nolan is the only other guy with >10 minutes...and he steps in to replace brimah. provides not much more than a body to eat up fouls down low.

Omar Calhoun is another wing, but is working with an MCL sprain, and sat a few games suspension for some apparent misdeeds in puerto rico...wouldn't expect him to play here.

Overall, the uconn team is somewhat similar to last year on defense...they're deceptive...and prayer 3s from being 6-1. The offense, however, is simply not good. Losing a great guard, a three point shooter, and a offensive wing hurts....too much to replace. I expect duke to win...but i expect it to be about around 10 points...not a blowout for sure.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    C:
    Amida Brimah: you saw he put up 40 the other day against coppin state...and that was probably the best game of his career. This man is in the business of blocking shots...there was some absurd stat last year like he blocked some 22% of ALL shots taken while he was on the floor...his offensive game has improved somewhat this year, it's still not nearly as polished as oak's. oak's an inch shorter, but has brimah by 40 lbs. Comared to kaminsky, brimah is a better blocker, and worse rebounder. It is an interesting matchup, because jahlil had "only" 13 and 6 vs kaminsky. Brimah, like most raw big men, has been plagued by foul troubles, but has seemed to improve this year, going from 16 to 28 minutes a game, and okafor hasn't done superbly at getting to the line.

Nolan is the only other guy with >10 minutes...and he steps in to replace brimah. provides not much more than a body to eat up fouls down low.
    So my plan for poetic near-justice (sp?) has some basis to it. Excellent! (Seriously, though, thanks for the detailed info; I'd have sporked you, but can't at the moment.)
    Last edited by Tripping William; 12-16-2014 at 03:09 PM.

So, what's the beer drinking sitch at the 'Zod?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Wait, is this a Duke board? Four hours and no one in the NJ/NYC alumni brigade has an answer for a sure to be thirsty old lady?!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Wait, is this a Duke board? Four hours and no one in the NJ/NYC alumni brigade has an answer for a sure to be thirsty old lady?!
    Here's a place I know nothing about except that it appears to be about 3 blocks away:

http://www.reddsrestaurant.com/menus/

As for what's available inside, I can't help you, ma'am.

STOP BY THE WINNERS CLUB & ENJOY DRINKS BEFORE THE GAME! The Winners Club restaurant will be open for drink service to ticketholders at 6:00 PM. The Winners Club is located at the IZOD Center between gates C and D and is easily accessible to the arena seating area. Patrons must have event ticket for entry

Does FSU's Sam Cassell have a kid playing college hoops?

Damn, I really AM OldPK.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Does FSU's Sam Cassell have a kid playing college hoops?

Damn, I really AM OldPK.
    Apparently, he does:

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m...jr_922981.html

Now get off your own damn lawn.