Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    (1) Is this a good result for Duke football?

Well, it's arguably the second-best bowl situation that Duke has played in since the 1961 Cotton Bowl against Arkansas. I'll concede that last year's Chick-fil-a Bowl in Atlanta against Johnny Football was a better trip, a better opponent and better exposure for our football team. But this is better than Cincinnati in the 2012 Belk Bowl, Wisconsin in the 1995 Hall of Fame Bowl, or Texas Tech in the 1989 All-America Bowl.

This is a historic bowl with a long relationship with CBS. The provide a ton of promotion. The ONLY negative is the location is hard for most Duke fans to get to, If that's your criteria, then, no, it's not a good outcome for Duke football. If you care about any other factors, then it's a great outcome.

(2) It's basically the outcome we deserve. Want to play in a better bowl? Then make that kick against Virginia Tech or don't come out flat at Miami ... or super-flat against UNC. Duke won nine games against a weak schedule ... the Sun Bowl is an appropriate reward for that season.

(3) About Juarez ... back in the '70s and '80s, UNC made several trips to the Sun Bowl. Some of my best friends made that trip and the raved about the cross-border trips to Juarez -- the bars, the brothels and the like. They told funny stories about Mexican cab drivers taking them deep into the Juarez underworld. But not long ago, a friend of mine returned from El Paso and I asked him if he managed to visit Juarez. He told me that Juarez has become a VERY dangerous place. Everything, he said, was now run by the drug cartels and that tourists visit the city at their own risk. He said El Paso is relatively safe -- the cartels don't want to provoke the US into a response, so they keep the violence (largely) on their side of the border.

That's just second-hand information and maybe my friend was watching too much of The Bridge, but if you are going to the game, check it out before crossing the border. Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I hope not, at 7:30 in the morning.

But then again, you are a very interesting person.
    In Juarez, it's always after 5 pm.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I'll concede that last year's Chick-fil-a Bowl in Atlanta against Johnny Football was a better trip, a better opponent and better exposure for our football team.
    Agreed about the rest of it, but note that Arizona State is actually ranked higher than Texas A&M was last year - even after they beat us. We have our work cut out for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Agreed about the rest of it, but note that Arizona State is actually ranked higher than Texas A&M was last year - even after they beat us. We have our work cut out for us.
    This is the best team we have played all year, easily. This is a real test. I am glad we have several weeks to prepare, and one of the best coaching staffs in the country. Seriously.

Well, it's arguably the second-best bowl situation that Duke has played in since the 1961 Cotton Bowl against Arkansas. I'll concede that last year's Chick-fil-a Bowl in Atlanta against Johnny Football was a better trip, a better opponent and better exposure for our football team. But this is better than Cincinnati in the 2012 Belk Bowl, Wisconsin in the 1995 Hall of Fame Bowl, or Texas Tech in the 1989 All-America Bowl.

This is a historic bowl with a long relationship with CBS. The provide a ton of promotion. The ONLY negative is the location is hard for most Duke fans to get to, If that's your criteria, then, no, it's not a good outcome for Duke football. If you care about any other factors, then it's a great outcome.

(2) It's basically the outcome we deserve. Want to play in a better bowl? Then make that kick against Virginia Tech or don't come out flat at Miami ... or super-flat against UNC. Duke won nine games against a weak schedule ... the Sun Bowl is an appropriate reward for that season.

(3) About Juarez ... back in the '70s and '80s, UNC made several trips to the Sun Bowl. Some of my best friends made that trip and the raved about the cross-border trips to Juarez -- the bars, the brothels and the like. They told funny stories about Mexican cab drivers taking them deep into the Juarez underworld. But not long ago, a friend of mine returned from El Paso and I asked him if he managed to visit Juarez. He told me that Juarez has become a VERY dangerous place. Everything, he said, was now run by the drug cartels and that tourists visit the city at their own risk. He said El Paso is relatively safe -- the cartels don't want to provoke the US into a response, so they keep the violence (largely) on their side of the border.

That's just second-hand information and maybe my friend was watching too much of The Bridge, but if you are going to the game, check it out before crossing the border. Be safe.
    Agree with all of this. And, I guess I should clarify for those who might misread my (weak) efforts at humor -- DO NOT GO TO JUAREZ UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. DOUBLE SERIOUSLY; NO JOKE.

Thanks, Oly. That explains the situation much better for me.

Sounds as though the CBS connection is pretty important here. I feel better about this now.

- Chillin

This is the best team we have played all year, easily.
    I'm not so sure. Georgia Tech might have something to say about that.

Reasons to have no hope (Arizona State's results versus ...)

+24 Notre Dame (#33)
    +16 Stanford (#24)
    +14 @USC (#13)
    +14 @Washington (#35)

... beating up on teams better than #41 Duke ...

Reasons to have some hope (Arizona State's results versus ...)

+03 Utah (#32)
    -07 @Arizona (#18)
    -08 @OregonState (#74)

Arizona State beat Colorado (#84 team in the land who is 10 points worse than us) by 14 points at Colorado. Colorado's coach is Duke's ex-defensive coordinator, so even if Coach Mac does not want to talk to Cut about Ariz State out of some "don't give up the goods on your conference-mate" sentiment, Cut & Co. should have a very good idea what went on in that game and what Mac tried to do or did do well.

Rankings from www.sports-reference.com

I saw a bit of Arizona State when they beat ND thoroughly. Agree with comments up stream - Sun Bowl is well established and stable, which is impressive in today's revolving door bowl environment.

This is also a classic good guy vs. bad guy bowl. Todd Graham, coach at ASU, is a humblebragging, self-promoting, job-hopping weasel. He's everything that Coach Cut is not. Pitt hired Graham when he was at Tulsa, and then Graham bolted for ASU after one season at Pitt. He texted his resignation after the regular season, but before Pitt's bowl game. What a way to treat his seniors. I also recall that Graham said something like "God is calling me to Arizona" or something like that.

(And yes, leaving Pitt for ASU is a definite upgrade; I'm not bitter about that. Pitt does not draw well at Heinz Field, and the weather in Arizona is an upgrade).

Mark Schlabach at the Mother Ship did a righteous rip job:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...dent-liar-club

Money quote:

Pittsburgh receiver Devin Street took out his frustration on Twitter on Wednesday night: "He's an actor he did it to rice then us now he's gonna do it to ASU ... That energy is fake he has them fooled."

More of Street's rants: "He just lied to all those damn recruits too not even 2 days ago."

And more: "No class, he's a quitter, soft, liar, hypocrite."

Added Panthers defensive end Brandon Lindsey on Twitter: "For someone who said they read the bible everyday, he must've missed the [page] that said 'thou shall not lie.'"

I hope the Blue Devils wipe up the Sun Devils. Maybe Graham will quit for another job between now and the game. He's about due for another move.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post

+24 Notre Dame (#33)
    +16 Stanford (#24)
    +14 @USC (#13)
    +14 @Washington (#35)

+03 Utah (#32)
    -07 @Arizona (#18)
    -08 @OregonState (#74)

Arizona State beat Colorado (#84 team in the land who is 10 points worse than us) by 14 points at Colorado. Colorado's coach is Duke's ex-defensive coordinator, so even if Coach Mac does not want to talk to Cut about Ariz State out of some "don't give up the goods on your conference-mate" sentiment, Cut & Co. should have a very good idea what went on in that game and what Mac tried to do or did do well.

According to the new AP poll, AZ.St. is 15 and we are essentially 30. GT (the only team anywhere in the poll that we played) is 10.

DO NOT GO TO JUAREZ UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. DOUBLE SERIOUSLY; NO JOKE.
    Seriously, this is good advice. Don't go to Juarez.

Juarez... Shmuarez

Math and Typos

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post

+24 Notre Dame (#33)
    +16 Stanford (#24)
    +14 @USC (#13)
    +14 @Washington (#35)

+03 Utah (#32)
    -07 @Arizona (#18)
    -08 @OregonState (#74)

Maybe I don't understand but I think Notre Dame should be 24, not 25, and more importantly, USC 4 not 14.

The USC win was a complete fluke. USC dominated almost all of the game. On ASU's next to last position the USC dback went for the int, missed, and gave up a long touchdown run. (If just makes the tackle USC probably wins. ) USC gets the ball, fails to run out the clock, then ASU completes a Hail Mary as time runs out.

In looking at the results need to understand the QB. They are much better with the number 1 who was injured for several games, including USC.

SoCal

Marfa Lights

Of course, there is always the world-famous "Marfa Lights" only about 170 miles from El Paso. (I ran across this in a novel by David Morrell, "The Shimmer").

From Wikipedia: "...the first published account of the lights appeared in the July 1957 issue of Coronet Magazine,[1][2] the earliest source for anecdotal claims that the lights date back to the 19th century. Reports often describe brightly glowing basketball-sized spheres floating above the ground, or sometimes high in the air. Colors are usually described as white, yellow, orange or red, but green and blue are sometimes reported. The balls are said to hover at about shoulder height, or to move laterally at low speeds, or sometimes, to shoot around rapidly in any direction. They often appear in pairs or groups, according to reports, to divide into pairs or to merge, to disappear and reappear, and sometimes to move in seemingly regular patterns. Their sizes are typically said to resemble soccer balls or basketballs.

Sightings are reported occasionally and unpredictably, perhaps 10 to 20 times a year. There are no reliable reports of daytime sightings....".

This is the best team we have played all year, easily. This is a real test. I am glad we have several weeks to prepare, and one of the best coaching staffs in the country. Seriously.

Agree with all of this. And, I guess I should clarify for those who might misread my (weak) efforts at humor -- DO NOT GO TO JUAREZ UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. DOUBLE SERIOUSLY; NO JOKE.
    Wait. I thought you had strongly urged a trip to Juarez. Something about tatoo/s and tequila and Debby Crowder.

I'm dadgum glad you have recanted and warned all of us.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    ... Notre Dame should be 24, not 25, and more importantly, USC 4 not 14 ...
    You're right. ASU beat ND by 24 not 25, and beat USC by 4 not 14. I had the wrong margins in my post. When we beat the Sun Devils, we'll be transitive propertying all over CFB traditional powers.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Wait. I thought you had strongly urged a trip to Juarez. Something about tatoo/s and tequila and Debby Crowder.

I'm dadgum glad you have recanted and warned all of us.
    No. I told you that I was going to Juarez to get a tattoo. Beach scene, shirtless Cut, and Debbie Crowder in a bikini. Tequila, obviously, is a big part.

i am simply warning others not to go to Juarez. Some folks can juggle fire, some cannot.

i am a professional. I can dance with the devil in the pale moonlight. My path is not for the weak, meek, or sensible.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Juarez

On the subject of that shady Mexican town south of the border. I still get threat notices for that area as i was stationed at a nearby Air Force Base for a short time. But I have friends in the area who used to be regulars there and know the place well. They don't need a taxi to get around they can just walk to where they want to go. As the board has been saying do not visit there right now. The cartels have taken over and its unsafe for pretty much everyone. Last I heard military personnel were banned from going there which means that you should follow the same advice and stay away. Its bad news if the military is urged to stay away.

No. I told you that I was going to Juarez to get a tattoo. Beach scene, shirtless Cut, and Debbie Crowder in a bikini. Tequila, obviously, is a big part.

i am simply warning others not to go to Juarez. Some folks can juggle fire, some cannot.

i am a professional. I can dance with the devil in the pale moonlight. My path is not for the weak, meek, or sensible.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -- Hunter S. Thompson
    I'll notify the appropriate US authorities.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Talent differential

I took a look at the Scout database of recruiting commits.

Arizona State, for the years 2010-2014 (the years comprising this year's roster): 16 four-star recruits, 98 three-star recruits.

Duke, for the years 2010-2014 (the years comprising this year's roster): 0 four-star recruits, 54 three-star recruits.

The usual caveats apply about that's just Scout's assessment, other services may differ, not all of these kids are still on the team due to using eligibility, injury, transfer, what have you. And, we usually are less talented than our opponents, in raw potential.

Let's hope our stellar kicking teams can win us some field position ... our terrific conditioning pays off ... our super-organized staff has us prepared ...

Saw where we are 9 point underdogs.