Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    didn't get to see the game, Brazilian tv doesn't tend to show US college games. Weird.
    Looking at the box score one thing sticks out at me: our big men (read: Okafor, Jefferson and MP3) shot amazingly well, while everyone else had a pretty poor day shooting. Well, actually, Sulaimon shot ok from the floor but poorly from 3, and Matt Jones shot great. Remove those guys and the rest of the team was 10-26 FG. Not sure if that means anything, or if it is just indicative of the lack of height for the Paladins.
    when their biggest guy is 5'8 120 your bigguns are bound to shoot well

it does bring up an interesting point...after jahlil had much less efficient games with stanford and temple, he bounced back strong...it will be interesting to watch for team profiles that he might underperform against, and see how he improves those "bad" efficiency games over the course of the year
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Have not seen the box score, but Tyus has shot the ball really bad over the last two games. We need for our freshman point guard to shoot the ball better. GoDuke!
    Here's the Boxscore: Duke 93 Furman 54

After 6 games I feel confident in saying it:
    This is a better team defensively than Duke had last year, and it may be one of the better defensive teams we've had in a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    didn't get to see the game, Brazilian tv doesn't tend to show US college games. Weird.
    Looking at the box score one thing sticks out at me: our big men (read: Okafor, Jefferson and MP3) shot amazingly well, while everyone else had a pretty poor day shooting. Well, actually, Sulaimon shot ok from the floor but poorly from 3, and Matt Jones shot great. Remove those guys and the rest of the team was 10-26 FG. Not sure if that means anything, or if it is just indicative of the lack of height for the Paladins.
    Lack of height AND lack of bulk. I thought the 3-point shooting was affected by the fact that it was a blowout from the very beginning. Nonetheless, it is good to see Matt make some shots -- and his form looked better.

Kindly, Sage
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I think this is a good point. We should be better at getting to the line. I'm not too worried about %, because I think the team will improve, but getting to the line is important. Winslow is good at it, but the rest of the team is not great.
    How much do you need to get to the line when you shoot 93?
    Nobody has mentioned Semi but I thought he put in some really good minutes. He looked comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Where are all the fans calling for Grayson Allen to play more than Jones now?
    Presumably in the same place they were before we played one game against a vastly inferior opponent?

Where are all the fans calling for Grayson Allen to play more than Jones now?
    I did see "The Congressman" make a great move to his left one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Potato Head View Post
    Presumably in the same place they were before we played one game against a vastly inferior opponent?
    Matt has played extremely well all year.

+/- from SCACCHoops

Plus/minus versus Furman:

Player Min +/-
    Justise Winslow 23 +32
    Quinn Cook 24 +32
    Jahlil Okafor 26 +31
    Amile Jefferson 24 +26
    Tyus Jones 23 +21
    Matt Jones 19 +13
    Rasheed Sulaimon 19 +5
    Semi Ojeleye 15 +3
    Nick Pagliuca 2 +1
    Grayson Allen 13 -1
    Marshall Plumlee 12 -3

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I did see "The Congressman" make a great move to his left one time.
    A great move to the left and a beautiful left handed shot... He also had a nice block. "The kid has some moxie scheee... Yeah some real moxie" (said in a 1920's gangster voice)

Appreciating Amile

Amile has been very efficient this year, with some stats even better than Jahlil.

FG% Jefferson 65,7% Okafor 64.9%
    RPG Jefferson 8.3 Okafor 7.8
    FT% Jefferson 63.2% Okafor 50%

(Jahlil better in Blocks, Assists, and Points per game)

Not to mention the talking on the floor and overall leadership that Amile has provided. Great to see him playing so well.

Amile has been very efficient this year, with some stats even better than Jahlil.

FG% Jefferson 65,7% Okafor 64.9%
    RPG Jefferson 8.3 Okafor 7.8
    FT% Jefferson 63.2% Okafor 50%

(Jahlil better in Blocks, Assists, and Points per game)

Not to mention the talking on the floor and overall leadership that Amile has provided. Great to see him playing so well.
    He is very nimble and quick around the basket. He has scored some great baskets and particularly yesterday. i agree very impressive!
    Last edited by Furniture; 11-27-2014 at 07:57 AM. Reason: No good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    He is very nimble and quick around the basket. He has scored some great baskets and particularly yesterday. i agree very impressive!
    Amile be nimble.
    Amile be quick.
    While Justise jumps over.
    The Cardinal stick.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...ke-blue-devils
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Potato Head View Post
    Thus is the 2nd game that Jones has played very well. And Stanford was not vastly inferior.

Besides, the complaints I was seeing about Jones was the inability to knock down wide open shots. What does the quality of opponent have to do with that?

I might be imagining it, but ...

Matt always seems to make the three if it is off of a kick-out or good pass. He never seems to make the three if he just shoots it because he is open (without a kick-out or good pass).

Thus is the 2nd game that Jones has played very well. And Stanford was not vastly inferior.

Besides, the complaints I was seeing about Jones was the inability to knock down wide open shots. What does the quality of opponent have to do with that?
    Well, I'm definitely encouraged by Matt's shooting and overall play.

Might be some question as to how much time he needs to get off a good 3-point attempt, and that he'll have fewer wide open shots against good opponents. He's not a JJ Redick or Andre Dawkins in his ability to catch and shoot a picture-perfect jumper with a hand in his face.

Still, this offense with Okafor, Amile, and Winslow operating down low is likely to produce a lot of good looks. In addition, we've known that Matt is a good defender and he looks even stronger in that area so far. He's definitely a contributor, and could be even more.

Well, I'm definitely encouraged by Matt's shooting and overall play.

Might be some question as to how much time he needs to get off a good 3-point attempt, and that he'll have fewer wide open shots against good opponents. He's not a JJ Redick or Andre Dawkins in his ability to catch and shoot a picture-perfect jumper with a hand in his face.

Still, this offense with Okafor, Amile, and Winslow operating down low is likely to produce a lot of good looks. In addition, we've known that Matt is a good defender and he looks even stronger in that area so far. He's definitely a contributor, and could be even more.
    I agree roywhite that Matt should be many open looks with our front line. I even think we can put Marshall in that group that can kick out to open shooters. The way unc covers the three point line, he may get many opportunities against the ugly blue team that can't read and write. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Amile be nimble.
    Amile be quick.
    While Justise jumps over.
    The Cardinal stick.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...ke-blue-devils
    My guess is that his hand is about 2ft above the basket. Amazingballs!

This game was definitely an opportunity to appreciate what Amile can bring to the team on offense. While Okafor has the size and back-to-the-basket skills to be the offensive focus (and I do believe we should run our office through Okafor as much as possible), Amile has plenty of quickness, size, strength, and finishing skills to take advantage of the attention that Okafor is going to draw. In the Stanford game, we saw Amile look hesitant in the high post. As he gets better and more confident in that kind of spacing, he's going to be a reliable offensive weapon for us, and he's going to force teams to play him honestly, making Okafor that much more effective.

Amile came into the season a proven rebounder and a known commodity on defense. He seems to have improved his game in both of those areas this season, but his efficiency in the Furman game gives a glimpse of what he can do for us on offense. He's a very smart player, who always seems to play within the game and who always seems willing to take what the defense gives him. This season, the opponent's interior defense is likely to give him quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    My guess is that his hand is about 2ft above the basket. Amazingballs!
    I will say it was about 1 foot or so above the rim considering that his head is well below the rim (camera angle distorts perception in that shot). But still, very impressive considering he is doing it in game action.