Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MBB: Duke 93, Furman 54 Post Game Thread

Not terribly competitive, but post your thoughts here anyway.

Amile had a nice game.

24 assists on 38 shots - nice...

-jk

He went 4-5 from 3PT range with 13 points. He's now 10-17 from 3 on the year. Who, you ask? Matt Jones.

WHO!?! MATT JONES!!
    WHO!?! MATT JONES!!

Amile Jefferson played a very energetic game tonight. I was impressed by the way he ran the floor.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by AncientPsychicT View Post
    He went 4-5 from 3PT range with 13 points. He's now 10-17 from 3 on the year. Who, you ask? Matt Jones.

WHO!?! MATT JONES!!
    WHO!?! MATT JONES!!
    Yes - Matt has found his shot. Very nice to see. Love the way this team shares the ball. Lots of weapons.

Blowout

Despite the over match tonight, it was good to watch all Duke players put out great defensive efforts for the entire game. It is difficult to find a lot of takeaways with a game like this, yet I will try a few:

1. Okafor is extremely composed and capable. He scored at will.
    2. Ball movement among the top 8 players was excellent tonight. Lots of good multiple pass assists and good breaks on takeaways.
    3. Lot of points coming from inside.
    4. Players we may need along the way got into the game and got real minutes. Experience will help their games improve.
    5. Matt Jones can shoot

A couple of things that could use some work

1. Opponent scoring from their bigs outside worked for Furman a few times (Wisconsin does this well so we need to get a big out on their big)
    2. We got ragged with the second unit on the floor at times. (understandable)

one thing i seem to notices is we don't get to the line much, and don't make FTs at a particularly high clip

we're 132 in the country in %, at 69%...which isn't absurdly low, i guess, but more telling is we're only at 81st in FTA/gm...with 25...i feel like we could milk more out of teams but we don't

shrug...not here or there...just an observation
    April 1

Free throws

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    one thing i seem to notices is we don't get to the line much, and don't make FTs at a particularly high clip

we're 132 in the country in %, at 69%...which isn't absurdly low, i guess, but more telling is we're only at 81st in FTA/gm...with 25...i feel like we could milk more out of teams but we don't

I think this is a good point. We should be better at getting to the line. I'm not too worried about %, because I think the team will improve, but getting to the line is important. Winslow is good at it, but the rest of the team is not great.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I think this is a good point. We should be better at getting to the line. I'm not too worried about %, because I think the team will improve, but getting to the line is important. Winslow is good at it, but the rest of the team is not great.
    We make a lot of dishes down low or kicks out for 3s. Very unselfish basketball with all the passing/assists. But, I'm also hoping to see us drive in to score and get to the line. Winslow seems to be the one driving to the basket, which is why he is getting to the line more frequently, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDiva View Post
    We make a lot of dishes down low or kicks out for 3s.
    It is the interior passing I am impressed with. We scored a lot of easy baskets on the extra pass inside when executing our half court offense.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Outrageous. Ludicrous. Can't be. We get all the calls.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

It might be a little early for this stat. Games that are competitive don't have foul-fests that would lift the our trips to the line. So far, I've been pretty pleased with our drivers getting to the line. Our bigs haven't been doing bad either. One surprise has been Mr. Automatic-at-the-line, Marshall Plumlee.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    It might be a little early for this stat. Games that are competitive don't have foul-fests that would lift the our trips to the line. So far, I've been pretty pleased with our drivers getting to the line. Our bigs haven't been doing bad either. One surprise has been Mr. Automatic-at-the-line, Marshall Plumlee.
    Ssshhh. Next thing you know you'll be touting his 3 point shooting prowess. And we all know where that kind of chatter leads...

Quote Originally Posted by AncientPsychicT View Post

WHO!?! MATT JONES!!
    WHO!?! MATT JONES!!
    Where are all the fans calling for Grayson Allen to play more than Jones now?

Jones has looked really good on offense and solid as usual on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

Allen will get there - but if Jones keeps hitting like this- he will be playing a lot with everything else he brings to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

He had a rough night shooting as he missed 3-4 pretty open looks for 3s. To his credit (and K's), the timeout K called with 30 seconds left in the 1st half worked flawlessly. With 10 seconds remaining, Tyus initiated the play with a drive into the lane and, as he drew the defense, he fired a nice pass to Allen who had set up for a 3 in the corner and he nailed it. Great call and execution. So happy for both of them. Amazing sharing of the ball tonight with, once again, less than 10 TO if espn stats are correct.

This team just continues to be fun to watch.
    Pressure is on for Kentucky and Arizona, we (relatively speaking) are flying under the radar.

All the potential most thought we had last year seems to be coming to fruition this year.
    Yes, it is early, the chemistry and defense seem remarkably better than last year.

Not that he had a bad game, still hoping for Suliamon to find the flow.
    Jefferson was delightful to watch tonight.

Giddy? More than a little bit.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

No reason to be surprised. He is after all our best three point shooter.

Marshall was very smart to work on that shot. Looks like it has been completely changed. He can make a living at the next level if he can hit his throws and rebound.

didn't get to see the game, Brazilian tv doesn't tend to show US college games. Weird.
    Looking at the box score one thing sticks out at me: our big men (read: Okafor, Jefferson and MP3) shot amazingly well, while everyone else had a pretty poor day shooting. Well, actually, Sulaimon shot ok from the floor but poorly from 3, and Matt Jones shot great. Remove those guys and the rest of the team was 10-26 FG. Not sure if that means anything, or if it is just indicative of the lack of height for the Paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    didn't get to see the game, Brazilian tv doesn't tend to show US college games. Weird.
    Looking at the box score one thing sticks out at me: our big men (read: Okafor, Jefferson and MP3) shot amazingly well, while everyone else had a pretty poor day shooting. Well, actually, Sulaimon shot ok from the floor but poorly from 3, and Matt Jones shot great. Remove those guys and the rest of the team was 10-26 FG. Not sure if that means anything, or if it is just indicative of the lack of height for the Paladins.
    Have not seen the box score, but Tyus has shot the ball really badly over the last two games. We need for our freshman point guard to shoot the ball better. GoDuke!