Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    It is so nice of carolina to warm my heart on a cold, snowy day in November!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Front page of IC is UNC 74 Butler 66. Wishful thinking.

UNC 74, Butler 66
    [Associated Press]

http://northcarolina.scout.com/

Edit: Now it's fixed but IC is blaming the Associated Press (and the refs, of course).

their offense dropped from 25th to 40th, and they insta-fell 8 places in the rankings (kenpom)
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Front page of IC is UNC 74 Butler 66. Wishful thinking.

UNC 74, Butler 66
    [Associated Press]

http://northcarolina.scout.com/

Edit: Now it's fixed but IC is blaming the Associated Press (and the refs, of course).
    Have those jackasses blamed Duke or K yet?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    their offense dropped from 25th to 40th, and they insta-fell 8 places in the rankings (kenpom)
    I wonder if Debby Crowder could change that?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    kenpom: "how many points do they need to stay in the top 20? oh just 14 more points? we can do that"
    April 1

At times like this, it's always fun to visit one of my favorite Twitter feeds:

ICMeltdown

Had just three of their starters been able to hit just one more three point shot...

Have those jackasses blamed Duke or K yet?
    Here's a choice post from heelfan69...I admit I laughed out loud:

"Well, Roy can't drop f bombs at the refs every play like the venerable - highly respected coach k who belittles refs and fans - pays his players since 1984 and hides behind a wealthy private institution with a "paperless sociology major" that allows them to self police themselves.

I blasted this team last game and was attacked here. I blasted the refs this game with good reason and was blasted here. No wonder this place is losing traffic.

Happy Thanksgiving."

Rankings

Why were they ranked 5th in the first place?

I don't think Roy was out coached, but I do think the players were out played.

Roy made the adjustments that had them in it till the end, despite them allowing the easy access to offensive boards, having around 20 TO's, more bad FT shooting, bad outside shooting, and an off day finishing at the rim.

Butler was just plain tougher, played smarter, and out hustled them all day. UNC got frustrated and never found any offensive flow.

Toughness is the one area UNC teams have not been able to define since the T Hansbrough teams. Paige has it, but its hard to translate from the wings, interior players have to provide it on the boards and defensively. Mentally... Johnson and Hicks...even Tokoto...are big and strong, but play a more finesse type game at this point, and Meeks has to work harder at positioning and providing energy too. Nobody inside was providing that extra effort and toughness today that they needed.

Justin Jackson also had an off game, which surprised me. He's really good for a freshman. He let Butler's physicality get to him and didn't play strong. He sort of disappeared. It was a learning game for the key freshman.

It was just one of those early season games that will make them better. Its a marathon, not a sprint...as they say.

Sure, Roy just needs to submit a videotape of one of our games. They might even end up with a few non-bakery championships, too, if he selects wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    Here's a choice post from heelfan69...I admit I laughed out loud:

"Well, Roy can't drop f bombs at the refs every play like the venerable - highly respected coach k who belittles refs and fans - pays his players since 1984 and hides behind a wealthy private institution with a "paperless sociology major" that allows them to self police themselves.

I blasted this team last game and was attacked here. I blasted the refs this game with good reason and was blasted here. No wonder this place is losing traffic.

Happy Thanksgiving."
    I read stuff like this when I occasionally venture into the toxic, turbulent waters of IC. This type of post makes me lose faith in humanity. Does this guy really believe this? Does he have a job and a family? Would he appear normal in a social setting or would he be wearing a tinfoil hat? Does he get the same vote in elections that you and I do?

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Given that Butler's coach is on some sort of medical leave, it would be hard to be outcoached, but I think Roy was up to it.

Butler was just plain tougher, played smarter, and out hustled them all day. UNC got frustrated and never found any offensive flow.

Toughness is the one area UNC teams have not been able to define since the T Hansbrough teams. Paige has it, but its hard to translate from the wings, interior players have to provide it on the boards and defensively. Mentally... Johnson and Hicks...even Tokoto...are big and strong, but play a more finesse type game at this point, and Meeks has to work harder at positioning and providing energy too. Nobody inside was providing that extra effort and toughness today that they needed.

Justin Jackson also had an off game, which surprised me. He's really good for a freshman. He let Butler's physicality get to him and didn't play strong. He sort of disappeared. It was a learning game for the key freshman.

It was just one of those early season games that will make them better. Its a marathon, not a sprint...as they say.
    And that, my friends, is the very definition of "spin."

"... I do think the players were out played." Kinda true by definition, as they lost by 8, in front of what appeared to be a very friendly (home?) crowd to an unranked opponent again...

So, did the team then go on another rampage and re-paint the visitor's locker room at Atlantis in faded blue grafitti?

They finally found the lost city of Atlantis...

Spoiler below.

It's in HELL!

Roy disagrees about his own job:

"“It’s very disappointing to us. We have wonderful kids and I did a poor job with them getting them ready to play with the aggressiveness that Butler played [with]. Butler’s coaching staff did a much better job of getting them ready to play. . . .

"They outplayed us and definitely outcoached us. We had some chances at the end. Had a couple of turnovers at the end when it could have been a lot of fun, but again, you have to congratulate their defense for doing such a good job.”

Did you see a performance like this coming?

“No, I didn’t see it coming. I’d like to say that I did and all of that smart stuff, but the truth of the matter is that I thought we would rise to the challenge, and we needed to. We have four or five guys on this team that were on the team two years ago when they beat us by 88 or whatever it was. Showing them on tape that Butler is really good. They really do a nice job and the kids play so hard, so I was concerned about it, but I thought that the head coach would do a better job and get our guys more ready than I did.”

You referenced your preparation. Was it the attitude you didn’t like today or was it something else?

“Preparation, you can always do as many things as you want to and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. That’s the reason it’s called coaching. In medicine, they call it medical practice and it’s a little more serious there. In basketball, we get to practice. We haven’t gotten it across to them yet how hard you have to play, how aggressive you have to play and that’s what my job is.”

Sounds like a bit of both. And to be fair to Roy, Cut basically said the same thing after we lost to VTech.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

"“It’s very disappointing to us. We have wonderful kids and I did a poor job with them getting them ready to play with the aggressiveness that Butler played [with]. Butler’s coaching staff did a much better job of getting them ready to play. . . .

"They outplayed us and definitely outcoached us. We had some chances at the end. Had a couple of turnovers at the end when it could have been a lot of fun, but again, you have to congratulate their defense for doing such a good job.”

“No, I didn’t see it coming. I’d like to say that I did and all of that smart stuff, but the truth of the matter is that I thought we would rise to the challenge, and we needed to. We have four or five guys on this team that were on the team two years ago when they beat us by 88 or whatever it was. Showing them on tape that Butler is really good. They really do a nice job and the kids play so hard, so I was concerned about it, but I thought that the head coach would do a better job and get our guys more ready than I did.”

You referenced your preparation. Was it the attitude you didn’t like today or was it something else?

“Preparation, you can always do as many things as you want to and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. That’s the reason it’s called coaching. In medicine, they call it medical practice and it’s a little more serious there. In basketball, we get to practice. We haven’t gotten it across to them yet how hard you have to play, how aggressive you have to play and that’s what my job is.”

Sounds like a bit of both. And to be fair to Roy, Cut basically said the same thing after we lost to VTech.

I agree that Roy was basically saying the same thing that Cut said after our loss to Virginia Tech -- falling on his sword, taking responsibility for not getting the team prepared, etc. But sheesh, is the man capable of saying anything that isn't complete word salad?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Of course he's gonna say stuff like that. It's the politically correct thing to do.

I bet privately he's on their backsides, I know I would be.

Bottom line for me is, Roy wasn't on the floor. I'm one who credits the players , one way or the other, way more than the coaches...in any team sport.

And BTW guys...I like to talk basketball...not all this other weak trash talk that is trolled my way...in every thread... that I have to constantly ignore out of respect for the forum...because I know where it would lead if I could reply as I'd like

And BTW guys...I like to talk basketball...not all this other weak trash talk that is trolled my way...in every thread... that I have to constantly ignore out of respect for the forum...because I know where it would lead if I could reply as I'd like
    Having an easygoing UNC fan has been an asset to DBR.

I agree that there's been an irregular amount of trash talk directed toward Wheat -- maybe not "every thread," though it does feel like almost every thread ends up being about UNC. I think Butler's win today infiltrated about 6 different threads. Duke fans are still fans, completely unable to compartmentalize. As a person who can compartmentalize about as well as a serial killer, I do not understand them.

At the same time, I'm not sure I would ever go to another fandom's forum (let's say, Arizona) and play the role of Duke representative. Maybe I could chime in every once in a while on immediately relevant topics -- like a few DBR members who are fans of NC State, Virginia, or Syracuse -- but I would grow extremely tired of being called out every time Duke is in the news.

Wheat, do what you want. I'm not you. But you seem reasonable, and I just think it's useless for you to make an extended stay in, say, the spray painting thread. That was not DBR's finest hour: we wanted blood, for some reason, and kept whipping ourselves into frenzies with or without you. I cracked one joke (slightly at your expense) and got the hell out of there. There are more hospitable threads, and I rather like having a UNC fan's perspective on the real basketball stuff. Expect some mocking, of course.