Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jahzilla

Jahzilla

Anyone else immediately fall in love with "The Dancing Bear" nickname for Jahlil on the frontpage's article? I think it fits perfectly for our nimble big man. Seems that Draymond Green sported the nickname while a pudgy freshman at Michigan State but most r/nba user's will recognize him by another big nickname nowadays. Only other sports star with that nickname I could find in a brief search was Ron McDole, a DE in the NFL in the 60's and 70's who got his nickname for his off the field dance moves at a local club. Still feel it's a great nickname, maybe not based on any alliteration, but based on great imagery of Jahlil's on court performance.
    So can we get the committee to agree on Jahlil "The Dancing Bear" Okafor after what he's shown so far this season?

Quote Originally Posted by huey View Post
    Anyone else immediately fall in love with "The Dancing Bear" nickname for Jahlil on the frontpage's article? I think it fits perfectly for our nimble big man. Seems that Draymond Green sported the nickname while a pudgy freshman at Michigan State but most r/nba user's will recognize him by another big nickname nowadays. Only other sports star with that nickname I could find in a brief search was Ron McDole, a DE in the NFL in the 60's and 70's who got his nickname for his off the field dance moves at a local club. Still feel it's a great nickname, maybe not based on any alliteration, but based on great imagery of Jahlil's on court performance.
    So can we get the committee to agree on Jahlil "The Dancing Bear" Okafor after what he's shown so far this season?
    no....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    no....
    I couldn't do it either. Sorry.

I'm pretty sure that nickname has a different meaning in other parts of the internet. So I'm gonna say no thanks to that one.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

That depends... Is Jahlil a Deadhead?

No

"Fetch" isn't happening. Neither is "The Dancing Bear".

Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Hell no

Honestly, it would be great if nobody on here ever tried to create another nickname, because they are almost always terrible.

I think "Oak" has a nice ring to it...

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    There we go. The dancing bear seems.......silly......IMHO.

J-A-H

I've actually taken to calling Jahlil Okafor, "Jah". After watching every presser and postgame interview on GoDuke, and hearing Coach K and all the guys on the team call him "Jah", now I have started to do it.

Anyone else calling him Jah now?

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    image.jpg
    What a long, strange trip it's been.
    GD Wally Wade 1971.jpg

Ban nickname threads. For the board, and for America.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Ban nickname threads. For the board, and for America.
    For the love of God, do it for the children!

Anyone else immediately fall in love with "The Dancing Bear" nickname for Jahlil on the frontpage's article?
    There are so many things wrong with DBR brass or its members trying out this nickname. But I'll just focus on one.

A dancing bear is a performing animal. (We're not talking about something safely anthropomorphic, like an animated Baloo from The Jungle Book.) Audiences may appreciate or even love a performing animal, but that enjoyment is carefully extracted from all logic and consideration about what the animal's life must be like. The performance only works if the audience thinks of the animal as existing solely for their amusement. Also, performing animals are the property of entertainment companies, indistinct and replaceable.

I am pretty far from being an animal rights activist, but I see no sense in comparing a human athlete to a performing animal. Personally, I have a hard time with most animal comparisons in sports talk, and even cringe a little when someone positively refers to a player as a beast. I know I'm in the minority on this, and maybe I'll get used to its common practice. I have learned to tolerate nicknames that reflect only an animalistic attitude, like Black Mamba or Honey Badger.

But Dancing Bear? Come on already. Shut the thread down, mods.

So does anyone else think we should limit our rotation this year?

Might as well try another popular opinion while I'm at it.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    There are so many things wrong with DBR brass or its members trying out this nickname. But I'll just focus on one.

A dancing bear is a performing animal. (We're not talking about something safely anthropomorphic, like an animated Baloo from The Jungle Book.) Audiences may appreciate or even love a performing animal, but that enjoyment is carefully extracted from all logic and consideration about what the animal's life must be like. The performance only works if the audience thinks of the animal as existing solely for their amusement. Also, performing animals are the property of entertainment companies, indistinct and replaceable.

I am pretty far from being an animal rights activist, but I see no sense in comparing a human athlete to a performing animal. Personally, I have a hard time with most animal comparisons in sports talk, and even cringe a little when someone positively refers to a player as a beast. I know I'm in the minority on this, and maybe I'll get used to its common practice. I have learned to tolerate nicknames that reflect only an animalistic attitude, like Black Mamba or Honey Badger.

But Dancing Bear? Come on already. Shut the thread down, mods.
    I actually share this opinion. I shuttered when Dick Vitale referred to Andrew Wiggins as a "thoroughbred" last season. Perhaps, being from the South and knowing our history, I am more sensitive to that kind of talk.

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    I am calling him Oak!