Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Justise Winslow

http://sites.dartmouth.edu/socyfamilyohp24/the-dynamic/

This may answer some of the questions about the Winslow family.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    In college, LJ was exclusively a PF. He did play some SF in the NBA, but even in the league he was really a PF. Winslow will play some at PF in college, but he's a 2/3 in the NBA rather than a 4 or 4/3.

I do agree that the LeBron comp is a bit of a reach. Winslow can handle the ball but he hasn't shown nearly the passing skill that LeBron has. I still think either a cross between Carter and MKG or a poor man's Wade is more accurate.
    Yes.

The great, intimidating, amazing, legend-in-the-making, All-Star version of Larry Johnson was a power forward, no ifs, ands, or buts. I would guess that is how most people would remember him.

After his injury, early in his pro career, he was wise enough to develop his 3-point shot and he stuck in the league as a small forward. But that version of LJ looked little like our Justise.

Winslow is playing up a position when he plays PF and in the NBA, he's a shooting guard. LJ played down when he played the 3, and that was only due to an injury. I'm pretty surprised that LJ would come to mind for anyone when they watch Justise's game. The closest thing that I have seen to LJ in the last 20 years in college is probably DeJuan Blair, who is nothing like Justise.

I really like the Dwayne Wade comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Yes.

The great, intimidating, amazing, legend-in-the-making, All-Star version of Larry Johnson was a power forward, no ifs, ands, or buts. I would guess that is how most people would remember him.

After his injury, early in his pro career, he was wise enough to develop his 3-point shot and he stuck in the league as a small forward. But that version of LJ looked little like our Justise.

Winslow is playing up a position when he plays PF and in the NBA, he's a shooting guard. LJ played down when he played the 3, and that was only due to an injury. I'm pretty surprised that LJ would come to mind for anyone when they watch Justise's game. The closest thing that I have seen to LJ in the last 20 years in college is probably DeJuan Blair, who is nothing like Justise.

I really like the Dwayne Wade comparison.
    Perhaps the most interesting part of this thread is how diverse the views are regarding comps for Justise. We are all watching the same player, yet comparisons have come out (with support) for Vince Carter, Larry Johnson, Dwayne Wade, a homeless man's Lebron James, and Andre Iguodala.

At this point, it's too early to tell. But I'm thinking I like Iguodala. Half glue guy/half star. Talented enough to be a #1; diverse enough to suit the team's needs. No way he's Vince Carter with the ups and the flash. No way he's Dwayne Wade with the speed, quickness, and put-you-on-my-back attitude. Homeless man Lebron is too hard for me to define the discount that is a "homeless man" (although I get the overall point). And Larry Johnson I was too young to know in college but knew him in the NBA - also strikes me as too strong/burly.

Tab: $22.84

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Perhaps the most interesting part of this thread is how diverse the views are regarding comps for Justise. We are all watching the same player, yet comparisons have come out (with support) for Vince Carter, Larry Johnson, Dwayne Wade, a homeless man's Lebron James, and Andre Iguodala.

At this point, it's too early to tell. But I'm thinking I like Iguodala. Half glue guy/half star. Talented enough to be a #1; diverse enough to suit the team's needs. No way he's Vince Carter with the ups and the flash. No way he's Dwayne Wade with the speed, quickness, and put-you-on-my-back attitude. Homeless man Lebron is too hard for me to define the discount that is a "homeless man" (although I get the overall point). And Larry Johnson I was too young to know in college but knew him in the NBA - also strikes me as too strong/burly.

Tab: $22.84

- Chillin
    While I personally don't understand the value of comparisons, I really don't understand the value of comparing players with very different roles. Justise is our third or fourth option. It makes little sense to compare him to high usage players like Wade, LeBron (any version, poor, homeless, or otherwise; I mean, really, LeBron?), or even Iguodala (though I agree he's probably the best comp that's been discussed in this thread).

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    While I personally don't understand the value of comparisons, I really don't understand the value of comparing players with very different roles. Justise is our third or fourth option. It makes little sense to compare him to high usage players like Wade, LeBron (any version, poor, homeless, or otherwise; I mean, really, LeBron?), or even Iguodala (though I agree he's probably the best comp that's been discussed in this thread).
    Comparisons are fun as they provide you with a career trajectory for young players. Today, there really aren't that many "unique" players. Lebron (do-it-all player) and KD (6'10" SF with elite SG shooting skills and very good athleticism) are arguably the most unique players in the NBA (and also the two best). Many of us like comparisons and see plenty of value. Hence, we do it. Plus, it's something to do on a Friday afternoon when we're jazzed for a game and want to talk Duke basketball.

I was the one who made the homeless man LBJ comparison. I don't think it's way off. LBJ is a stat stuffer who impacts the game in a variety of ways. Winslow is similar to that. Winslow has shown flashes (or lengthy periods) of excellent rebounding, playmaking (beautiful passes to the Oak under the basket), defense, fast breaks, etc. Winslow obviously doesn't have the impact per game that LBJ does, but the wide ranging Swiss Army Knife skillset is unique.

I'm not at all suggesting that Winslow will be the second coming of LBJ. Of course not. But we're taking comps, and it's tough to think of a player who is good at everything in the NBA without thinking of LBJ. Hence, homeless man's LBJ.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Third or fourth option?

Okay, Okafor is option #1, but is there a clear pecking order after that? Seems to me that Justise is as much of an option as anyone other than Okafor.

The comparison I heard when we were recruiting Winslow was Ron Artest without psychological issues. Great but not elite athlete, hardnosed defender, good efficient scorer and solid passer.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Comparisons are fun as they provide you with a career trajectory for young players. Today, there really aren't that many "unique" players. Lebron (do-it-all player) and KD (6'10" SF with elite SG shooting skills and very good athleticism) are arguably the most unique players in the NBA (and also the two best). Many of us like comparisons and see plenty of value. Hence, we do it. Plus, it's something to do on a Friday afternoon when we're jazzed for a game and want to talk Duke basketball.

I was the one who made the homeless man LBJ comparison. I don't think it's way off. LBJ is a stat stuffer who impacts the game in a variety of ways. Winslow is similar to that. Winslow has shown flashes (or lengthy periods) of excellent rebounding, playmaking (beautiful passes to the Oak under the basket), defense, fast breaks, etc. Winslow obviously doesn't have the impact per game that LBJ does, but the wide ranging Swiss Army Knife skillset is unique.

I'm not at all suggesting that Winslow will be the second coming of LBJ. Of course not. But we're taking comps, and it's tough to think of a player who is good at everything in the NBA without thinking of LBJ. Hence, homeless man's LBJ.
    I don't think all-around players are as rare in the NBA as you're making them out to be. Frankly, Justise is a lot closer to a poor-man's Josh Smith than he is to an anything-man's LeBron.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    The comparison I heard when we were recruiting Winslow was Ron Artest without psychological issues. Great but not elite athlete, hardnosed defender, good efficient scorer and solid passer.
    That's who I was gonna say but Artest is thicker. Maybe Shawn Marion.

Quote Originally Posted by wcepstein View Post
    Is anyone else reminded of Vince Carter when they see the athleticism and explosiveness of Justice?
    Except that Winslow plays defense!

Anybody else see just a hint of Kawhi Leonard?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Great comp, Jim. Best one I've heard yet.

They even have the same demeanor: have you seen Kawhi or Justise smile?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I don't really like the MKG reference. In five games, Winslow has already proven that he can shoot the ball better than MKG ever could. MKG's leadership is much better than Winslow, but that may be a product of Winslow not being asked to lead. MKG is more of the ideal glue guy while Winslow is a Swiss Army Knife (Amile, to me, is a bigger glue guy than Winslow).

Carter makes sense: same height, similar weight, insane athleticism...Carter is arguably a better shooter and Winslow a better defender.

Winslow is like a homeless man's Lebron to me: he can do everything - passing, rebounding, shooting, driving, defense, fast breaks, put backs - just not as well as Lebron.
    If Winslow ends up being the second best player and an all-American on the championship team like MKG, I will be quite pleased. Isn't a Swiss Army knife a glue guy in that he can do whatever is needed. I loved watching MKG in college and, likewise, am very much enjoying watching Justise. I don't know if it's the best comparison, but it is much better than insane athlete, great scorer, not the best intangible VC.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Vince Carter? Please. I see Larry Johnson...
    I don't see either comparison, but one reason the91 championship was such an upset was because of how much great LJ was.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, I didn't see someone had brought up Wilkins. But I agree with you. The closest I've seen to Wilkins is LeBron James. Obviously LeBron is the better overall player, but in terms of athleticism, power, and scoring ability, very few are in the company of 'Nique. That guy was crazy.
    Just have to agree with how crazy Dominique was. Amazing dunker, but more than that in that he was a fabulous scorer and very good rebounder. I would say Blake Griffin is a reasonable comparison to Nique.
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Len Bias was the comp for Dominique.
    Would have been great to see.
    I didn't see Leonard at all in college, but like the way he defends multiple positions, rebounds, shoots and drives for the Spurs. Hopefully, Justise can be a do-it-all player for a championship team that is great to watch, has a beautiful offence, shares the ball very well, plays a deep bench for one of the all-time great coaches with a good sense of humor.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Thank you for pointing out my inherent stupidity. There needs to be a telethon to help people like me. Sheesh.
    If you managed to get someone to hold a telethon to raise money for you on the sole basis of being stupid, then you wouldn't be all that stupid after all.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    That's who I was gonna say but Artest is thicker.
    Both in physical girth and in his head.

Even as a baby he had huge shoulders.

What's with the baby blue outfit though?

Attachment 4510

Caption: "You may be laughing at me now, but you'll be on SportCenter later."

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I don't see either comparison, but one reason the91 championship was such an upset was because of how much great LJ was.
    I hope I am allowed to keep my posting privileges after "how much great". Sorry about that one. Perhaps that is why you are supposed to preview first.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

I understand it. It's early and it's fun to do.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I don't see either comparison, but one reason the 91 championship was such an upset was because of how great LJ was.
    Let's give some credit to Chris Jeter, father of our Chase Jeter, who was on that team and schooled Larry Johnson during practices (though he DNP in that '91 semifinal game).

Good call. From my seat out here in San Diego, though, Leonard was really special. Justise seems to have better offense from the get go, but man, Kawhi was something as an all around player.

If Justise can develop in that direction, this team is going to be tough.