Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lid View Post
    Win, win and win! I'm especially excited to hear Brad D again -- really enjoyed his approach and personality before.
    I am very excited to hear this as well. Daugherty was a Carolina homer who cleaned up his act after a few years and became one of my favorite color commentators. I would put him only after Knight in my rankings of the top color guys.

I muted Calhoun as soon as he came on during the MSU game. I will give the guy a chance, with so many around here insisting that he's a boon to the broadcasts.

Don't know if folks recall this, but Shane helped cover the 2013 NBA Draft. It looks like he hasn't improved much since, although I suppose he was busy playing in the NBA, so it would have been difficult to work much on his broadcasting "game". Let's go Shane!

Guys, seriously, I love Shane Battier, but how the hell is he doing the showcase game on ESPN tonight. This is his first game that I've seen him do, but my friends, he is struggling out there.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Guys, seriously, I love Shane Battier, but how the hell is he doing the showcase game on ESPN tonight. This is his first game that I've seen him do, but my friends, he is struggling out there.
    Who knows why ESPN does any of the things it does.

i think shane has what it takes, but it's not as easy as one might think....he'll get better...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i think shane has what it takes, but it's not as easy as one might think....he'll get better...
    Not my point. Of course I think Shane can be really good at this. I think Jay Williams used to be really bad too, but he has gotten good, as I'm sure Shane will too. But they put Jay on Minnesota at Wake on ESPNU type games, not on the prime time marquee matchup of Tuesday night on ESPN. This is ESPN being silly. Plus you can hear some dude behind the announcers yelling "Shane you suck" which isn't very nice.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Len Elmore vs. Duke

Am I the only one who thinks that Len Elmore should NOT be broadcasting Duke games??!!

I think he is incredibly biased against Duke, for whatever reason. He used to be allright (remember he was on the call with Verne Lundquist for the Kentucky game!). Lately, I am tempted to turn the volume down!

Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Quote Originally Posted by LSTennisMan View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that Len Elmore should NOT be broadcasting Duke games??!!

I think he is incredibly biased against Duke, for whatever reason. He used to be allright (remember he was on the call with Verne Lundquist for the Kentucky game!). Lately, I am tempted to turn the volume down!

Let me just say to you, a new member...you're gonna fit right in around here.

If you don't get many replies don't feel bad.

Overwhelming agreement makes for a boring thread.

Hey...you're right!
    Also, while we're on the topic of basketball, don't you guys think this Krzyzewski guy is a pretty good coach?
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Yes to all the above! He is the worst!

Lens next Duke compliment should count twice...
    His FIRST and his LAST...

Normally I wouldn't go back and merge a new thread with one that you have to go back over a month to find, but in the interest of showing our new poster that we do, indeed, prefer many announcers over Len Elmore (said with the *tiniest* hint of sarcasm ), I merged this with the old thread.

Also, I figured that with conference play starting, this topic will be revisited a number of times. Feel free to place discussions of announcers here instead of in the game threads -- it'll make both discussions much easier to follow.

I really enjoyed hearing Gminski on the game yesterday. I have enjoyed his calls on non-Duke games as well. One of the better color guys out there in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Who knows why ESPN does any of the things it does.
    $$$$, $$$, $$$$$ and $$.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I could do with out elmore, calhoun, dan schulman,musburger and patrick.my phone will probably make this post very ugly.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

It was announced at the beginning of the season that Elmore and Mike Patrick were moved to the American Conference as their primary assignment plus ACC games on ESPNU on Tuesdays. Assuming ESPN sticks to the plan, we should not see or hear anymore Len for Duke games. Knock on wood.

An elderly Japanese man once assured me that the mute button on TVs was originally designed to combat Len Elmore, aka Seabiscuit.

As others have mentioned, you are not alone. The last game I watched with Elmore announcing (one of the games last week, I think it was Toledo), I caught on to something he was saying that really bothered me. Just about every time an opposing player would make a drive to the hoop, Elmore would say that there was contact. Sometimes he's say there was some contact but no call. Listening to him you'd think Duke was just bumping every guy with the ball all game long with no calls (no wonder everyone things Duke gets all the calls). Once I realized what he was doing I somehow managed to like him even less.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Plus you can hear some dude behind the announcers yelling "Shane you suck" which isn't very nice.
    I wish Len Elmore would just leave Shane alone:

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Could be worse. We could still be listening to Packer.

Talk about a negative guy! Every great offensive play was a missed defensive assignment. Every steal was a failure to protect the ball. Every fast break was a failure of transition defense.

To Packer a sunny day was a cloud cover failure!

Couldn't stand him.
    LOL. Reminded me of this famous call:

After Jeff Capel hit his buzzer beater to send Duke/UNC 1995 into a second overtime:
    Vitale (via ESPN feed): (scroll to around 34s): "OHH!!! OHH!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!"
    Packer (via RSN feed) (scroll to around 1 min): "Jim, you've gotta foul! You CANNOT allow the man to have that shot!"
    "There can BE only one."