Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gerald Henderson steps up

Adam Lucas's latest article.

One of the best writers in all of college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post

Lucas is a hack and a troll. He's surprised that Ellington, who has known Henderson since he was a teenager, had a better sense of his character than a UNC fanboy-slash-columnist? Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Lucas is a hack and a troll. He's surprised that Ellington, who has known Henderson since he was a teenager, had a better sense of his character than a UNC fanboy-slash-columnist? Whatever.
    Did you even read that?

Did you even read that?
    I did. I was unimpressed, as I explained above. I've also read Lucas' other work, which is even less impressive.

I did. I was unimpressed, as I explained above. I've also read Lucas' other work, which is even less impressive.
    To each his own.

I thought it a nice compliment to Henderson and was well written.

"It's not always about the ball".

After moving to Cary in 1991, I had a subscription to the Cary News which became a bi-weekly paper. It had a small sports section and Adam Lucas was the "writer". For 4 consecutive weeks he ran inflamed articles on how bad Grant Hill and Coach K were. The criticism was so intense, I finally questioned "why the attacks". The response was simply "guess he just hates Duke". Someday I'll pull these out of an archive, but for anyone to suggest he's a great writer is absurd. He's a little person and is begging to become the next Chansky.

To each his own.

I agree, Wheat. Portrayed Henderson, appropriately, in a very positive light. If the writer is surprised to learn of Gerald's character, then oh well, whatever. Still paid Gerald a nice compliment or two
    and put our rivalry in proper perspective.

To each his own.

I thought the article was well written and very touching. It made me admire GH even more.

Empathy is the ability to accurately put yourself “in someone else’s shoes” – to understand the other’s situation, perceptions and feelings from their point of view – and to be able to communicate that understanding back to the other person. Some people just don't have any...

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I agree, Wheat. Portrayed Henderson, appropriately, in a very positive light. If the writer is surprised to learn of Gerald's character, then oh well, whatever. Still paid Gerald a nice compliment or two
    and put our rivalry in proper perspective.
    It should be noted Henderson is a polarizing figure to many Tar Heel fans after "the foul".

I read it as he was not so much surprised by Hendersons character, he said Ellington had told him that one play was not who Henderson was....but surprised by his own ability to look past his "fan" perception of Henderson the player and see Henderson the person.

I have only been reading his stuff for a few years, and it's no shocker he writes from a pro UNC angle, but I have not seen anything from him that should lable him a "hack".
    Last edited by Wheat/"/"/"; 11-17-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Thank you, Wheat.

Lucas' first two sentences are small-minded and the piece, with little to aspire to, goes downhill from there. Instead of focusing on the relationship between Henderson and Ellington, how it has endured triumph and tragedy Lucas made the article about himself and his like-minded zealots who foolishly believe the gift of forgiveness is theirs to bestow to any meaningful result. In a profound moment of sorrow for two life-long friends instead of reaching for something bigger and better, Lucas filters his opinions through the narrow prism of basketball fanaticism. The game has great worth that extends beyond the court and enriches the lives of those it touches but Lucas never reaches for the metaphor that can deliver a broader perspective. Honestly it's the worst sort of pandering, though I'm being harsh.

I understand why Wheat posted the link. There is a gesture that Lucas makes which is worth the read maybe a tad trite, but a sincere gesture nonetheless. He tries nicely to right the ship with his last 3 or 4 paragraphs. But I don't get the sense that he ever really commits to his grandmother's wizened words--sad, because that's where he should have started. The lady knew what she was talking about. I realize it's a 500 word opinion piece, not a 10,000 word feature. Still it's a nice little piece in the end that could have been a whole lot more.

He's a homer, and his comments about [a different] Henderson are kind patronizing, but I appreciate the link and the story behind it.

The photo at the head of the piece is good. Roy bought a sport coat from Norm Sloan's garage sale, the fans seem disinterested, and the players are looking at the clock like, "Are we through yet? I have to pick up a paper from a girl I know."

Question Sad to Point to that article as journalism

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Lucas' first two sentences are small-minded and the piece, with little to aspire to, goes downhill from there. Instead of focusing on the relationship between Henderson and Ellington, how it has endured triumph and tragedy Lucas made the article about himself and his like-minded zealots who foolishly believe the gift of forgiveness is theirs to bestow to any meaningful result. In a profound moment of sorrow for two life-long friends instead of reaching for something bigger and better, Lucas filters his opinions through the narrow prism of basketball fanaticism. The game has great worth that extends beyond the court and enriches the lives of those it touches but Lucas never reaches for the metaphor that can deliver a broader perspective. Honestly it's the worst sort of pandering, though I'm being harsh.

I understand why Wheat posted the link. There is a gesture that Lucas makes which is worth the read maybe a tad trite, but a sincere gesture nonetheless. He tries nicely to right the ship with his last 3 or 4 paragraphs. But I don't get the sense that he ever really commits to his grandmother's wizened words--sad, because that's where he should have started. The lady knew what she was talking about. I realize it's a 500 word opinion piece, not a 10,000 word feature. Still it's a nice little piece in the end that could have been a whole lot more.

Agree with this poster. The article is more about the writer than anything else. Henderson has never been anything but full of character. To think otherwise is to be little, but... there you go.

Lucas is a columnist for Goheels.com, so I'm not sure what kind of objectivity or journalistic integrity anybody should expect from him (Hint: none).

Henderson and Ellington have been best friends since high school. They both repeatedly claimed the other as among their best friends while they were both in college, despite the rivalry, and they have maintained that friendship to this day. Why the author was surprised to find Henderson at Ellington's father's homegoing, I don't know. This isn't a new story. We've all known this for years. That he was on a West Coast road trip and still made it to the homegoing is something that none of us are shocked at...I'm sure many of us have done similar for a friend and his/her family during a sad time. It read as a backhanded compliment and hinted that it was sharing something that no one would ever think Henderson would do. The article wasn't even about their relationship. It was a footnote on a more personal story to the writer.

I also agree that with the writer (and this article) being on GoHeels.com, he's not even close to the kiddie table of discussion about best writers in anything.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Thanks Wheat for the link. But I respect you way more than I do Lucas. He missed the chance to tell the true story. One about the friendship of Henderson and Ellington and the other about his wise Grandmother. He wrote the article more about his hatred of Henderson and "the play". GoDuke

after "the foul".
    clean block, all ball, against a player that, increasing evidence suggests, should never have been on the court due to academic ineligibility...

BOOM!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    He wrote the article more about his hatred of Henderson and "the play". GoDuke
    Yea, but remember who his audience is on that UNC basketball site. It's not you guys.

He wanted to challenge UNC's fans perception of Henderson, like Henderson's faithful actions challenged his own.

At least that's how I read it.

Yea, but remember who his audience is on that UNC basketball site. It's not you guys.

He wanted to challenge UNC's fans perception of Henderson, like Henderson's faithful actions challenged his own.

At least that's how I read it.
    You could be right. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    The article wasn't even about their relationship. It was a footnote on a more personal story to the writer.
    Right.