Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Thanks to the additions the past couple of years of Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame and Louisville, (minus MD) and the 18 game ACC schedule, Duke can absorb a weaker OOC and still rank very high in overall body of work
    Why do we care about computer rankings for this team?

Such a thing might matter for a team trying to slide off the bubble in March or trying to get a #1 vs. #3 seed (or 12 vs. 14 seed), in the tourney. But this is a top-four team, and if this team takes care of business against the opponents presented, any marginal benefit from having a slightly higher computer ranking based on OOC scheduling seems a pretty small thing to be thinking about right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Part of the weak early schedule is that MSU probably will not be as strong as usual, or as strong as our usual opponent in the MSU-UK-KU event. This is a relatively down year for MSU. My son, who is a MSU student, thinks they'll be borderline top 25 this year, and looking at their roster I tend to agree. There isn't much talent, especially inside and on offense. They lost Harris, Payne, and Appling, and really added very little (Izzo recruited two high profile recruits named Okafor and Jones, but they went somewhere else). Izzo is a great coach, and he's got enough talent to make them competitive, but they'd be middle of the pack in ACC, I think.
    And the fact that the early season tournament we are in isn't nearly as strong as what we have had in recent years. In 10-11 we were in the CBE Classic and played what was a preseason top 10 K-State team. In 2012 we were in a loaded Maui field where we played Michigan, Tennessee, and then Kansas. In 2013 we were in a loaded Battle 4 Atlantis where we played Minnesota, VCU, and Louisville. Last year, like 2011, we played a preseason top 5 team in Arizona. Playing Temple and then either Stanford or UNLV isn't nearly as tough as our other early season tournaments. Next year we'll be in the 2K Classic with Wisconsin, Georgetown, and VCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Why do we care about computer rankings for this team?
    A poor schedule strength could mean our RPI isn't as high as you'd expect, maybe #8 or #9 instead of #4 or #5. And I don't know if the selection committee really does this, but the commentators all appear to list schedule strength (even sometimes non-con schedule strength) as a separate item from overall RPI (which makes no sense but they do it anyway), so the poor schedule could be double-counted against us.

You seem so confident that we're a "top-four team," but Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, and Wisconsin all probably consider themselves top four teams too (even though Kansas is currently ranked #5), and there's always a team or two that sneak into the conversation despite not being pre-season top five. So unless you think Duke is a lock to romp through the ACC with only 1 or 2 losses and then win the ACC tournament, non-conference schedule strength could possibly be the difference between a #1 seed and a #2 seed. Seems to me to be enough of a reason to care.

Agreed. (And Amile)

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    A poor schedule strength could mean our RPI isn't as high as you'd expect, maybe #8 or #9 instead of #4 or #5. And I don't know if the selection committee really does this, but the commentators all appear to list schedule strength (even sometimes non-con schedule strength) as a separate item from overall RPI (which makes no sense but they do it anyway), so the poor schedule could be double-counted against us.

You seem so confident that we're a "top-four team," but Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, and Wisconsin all probably consider themselves top four teams too (even though Kansas is currently ranked #5), and there's always a team or two that sneak into the conversation despite not being pre-season top five. So unless you think Duke is a lock to romp through the ACC with only 1 or 2 losses and then win the ACC tournament, non-conference schedule strength could possibly be the difference between a #1 seed and a #2 seed. Seems to me to be enough of a reason to care.
    I'll buy that. Color me persuaded.

Changing the subject, Amile Jefferson is reminding me more and more of a young Dennis Rodman. It started with the way he jogs down the court. But his opportunistic rebounding and the way he moves in and near the post have struck me too.

The commentators harping on SOS is a pet peeve of mine. SOS is already factored into RPI, Sagarin etc. so it is a case of double counting SOS but that does not quiet the talking heads.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    The commentators harping on SOS is a pet peeve of mine. SOS is already factored into RPI, Sagarin etc. so it is a case of double counting SOS but that does not quiet the talking heads.
    Yeah, me too. I actually contacted Lunardi about it a couple times, but surprisingly he never got back to me.

Yeah, me too. I actually contacted Lunardi about it a couple times, but surprisingly he never got back to me.
    I've had the same problem with Scarlett Johansson for years, so don't feel bad.

That was just before he dropped you two lines in the bracket, wasn't it?

I've had the same problem with Scarlett Johansson for years, so don't feel bad.
    But you did get her autograph. On the restraining order thingy.

I'd keep at it though, in a few more years her voice will be deeper than mine, and that might spoil the effect.

I agree that's part of it, and we also catch UNLV or Stanford after both lost a lot of good players from last season. But other than our worse-than-usual "marquis" games, according to Tommy, the other five in this phase had the following records last season: 6-26, 7-25, 9-22, 9-21, and 15-16. We better hope they all improve drastically or our RPI non-con schedule strength is going to suffer big-time.
    Wouldn't "marquis" games be any against lower ranked opponents? A duke being above a marquis

On the Court

OK if I clarify your statement?

ON THE COURT, Amile Jefferson is reminding me more and more of a young Dennis Rodman. It started with the way he jogs down the court. But his opportunistic rebounding and the way he moves in and near the post have struck me too.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    You'll never find, as long as you live
    Someone who runs a team like Ty do
    You'll never find, no matter where you search
    Someone who cares about hoops the way Ty do

Whoa, I'm not braggin' on Tyus, Sparty
    But Ty's the one who leads you
    And there's no one else! No... one else

You'll never find, it'll take the end of all time
    Someone to understand hoops like Ty do
    You'll never find the rhythm, the rhyme
    All the magic he shares, Tyus do

Whoa, I'm not tryin' to make you play, Sparty
    But I know some how, some day, some way
    You are
    You're gonna miss Ty jonesin'
    You're gonna miss Ty jonesin'
    You're gonna miss, you're gonna miss Ty Jones

Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh
    Late in the midnight hour, Sparty
    When it's cold outside

You'll never find another guard like Ty
    Someone who leads you like Ty do
    You'll never see what we've found in he
    You'll keep searching and searching your whole life through

Whoa, I don't wish you no bad luck, Sparty
    But there's no ifs and buts or maybes

(You're gonna) You're gonna miss
    You're gonna miss Ty lonesin'
    I know you're gonna miss Ty jonesin'

Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh
    Late in the midnight hour, baby
    When it gets real cold outside
    I know, I know that you are gonna miss Ty Jones

Let me tell you that you're gonna miss my lovin'
    Yes you will, Sparty
    When I'm long gone
    I know, I know, I know that you are gonna miss Ty jonesin'
    You gonna miss Ty Jones
    A spectacular rendition--but I am a little disturbed to realize that there is someone playing college basketball whose FATHER was named after Lou Rawls. Where did the time go?

Quote Originally Posted by dball View Post
    Wouldn't "marquis" games be any against lower ranked opponents? A duke being above a marquis
    Well played--this line is good enough to go on a marquee...

Tempo

One thing from the first two games that has really pleased me: Duke is doing a very good job of pushing the tempo on both offense and defense. I'm particularly happy about the ability of Tyus and Rasheed to get the ball up the floor quickly, before the defense has the chance to get set. The last few years, it seems that Duke is always talking about pushing the tempo, but hasn't been doing it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    One thing from the first two games that has really pleased me: Duke is doing a very good job of pushing the tempo on both offense and defense. I'm particularly happy about the ability of Tyus and Rasheed to get the ball up the floor quickly, before the defense has the chance to get set. The last few years, it seems that Duke is always talking about pushing the tempo, but hasn't been doing it so much.
    Justise has also been at the helm of some exceedingly fine fastbreaks. His wheels do not turn slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    OK if I clarify your statement?
    On the court? You mean like pushing players into the stands, headbutting referees, and shoving cameramen? Let's hope we see this kind of behavior!

But off the court... a grown man listening to Pearl Jam and wearing a wedding dress! If Amile did terrible things like that we'd have to shut down the whole program.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    On the court? You mean like pushing players into the stands, headbutting referees, and shoving cameramen? Let's hope we see this kind of behavior!

But off the court... a grown man listening to Pearl Jam and wearing a wedding dress! If Amile did terrible things like that we'd have to shut down the whole program.
    Not sure Coach K would be too down with the trips to North Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Not sure Coach K would be too down with the trips to North Korea.
    Y'all did get the fact that I compared Amile to the early Pistons Rodman, right? He was not then what he later became.

Okafor is 7-14 from the free throw line through six games. That is just better than two free throws per game. As a comparison Mason shot 7 per game his senior year.

Is anyone worried he is not getting to the line enough? I thought he would be fouling guys out left and right and this would be a major feature of our offense. One reason he isn't shooting a lot of fee throws is that he is so efficient at scoring the ball. He converts quickly without a lot of dribbling and backing his guy down, so there is fewer chance of contact.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Okafor is 7-14 from the free throw line through six games. That is just better than two free throws per game. As a comparison Mason shot 7 per game his senior year.

Is anyone worried he is not getting to the line enough? I thought he would be fouling guys out left and right and this would be a major feature of our offense. One reason he isn't shooting a lot of fee throws is that he is so efficient at scoring the ball. He converts quickly without a lot of dribbling and backing his guy down, so there is fewer chance of contact.
    Agreed totally. This is one of the issues that I'll have to carry over into my Phase II post.

In one of the postgame pressers, Coach K mentioned that Okafor had to do a better job "selling" the fouls. That is, if the opponent is being physical and causing you to miss your shot when you go up for it, make sure that you get to go to the line when that happens. And eventually, hopefully Okafor converts through the contact for 3-pt opportunities.

We'll see if he can begin to getting fouled more as the season progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Agreed totally. This is one of the issues that I'll have to carry over into my Phase II post.

In one of the postgame pressers, Coach K mentioned that Okafor had to do a better job "selling" the fouls. That is, if the opponent is being physical and causing you to miss your shot when you go up for it, make sure that you get to go to the line when that happens. And eventually, hopefully Okafor converts through the contact for 3-pt opportunities.

We'll see if he can begin to getting fouled more as the season progresses.
    Coach K, to get his point across, reportedly said to Okafor:

I'll tell you this nicely today
    If you still are not drawing fouls, I won't be so nice the next time
    And then, if you still aren't getting this done, you'll have to sit and watch Tyler Hansbrough tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Coach K, to get his point across, reportedly said to Okafor:

I'll tell you this nicely today
    If you still are not drawing fouls, I won't be so nice the next time
    And then, if you still aren't getting this done, you'll have to sit and watch Tyler Hansbrough tapes.
    I was waiting for someone to introduce the hanstravel example. If Okafor has to watch those films and doesn't learn the c*rolina way of flopping, there is no hope for him.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.