Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    How exciting is it that there are 8 players who can legitimately start, and I don't think it would come as a surprise. When was the last time this happened?
    Who's the 8th player?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Who's the 8th player?
    ...7 players? I must have miscounted in my head. It's 8 rotation players, but 8 potential starters. You're right.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

How exciting is it that there are 8 players who can legitimately start, and I don't think it would come as a surprise. When was the last time this happened?
    Duke had nine players start games last season. Whether those were legitimate starts is a matter of opinion.

Hmmmm

If you judge by the offseason posts, it happens every year, right until the first game is played. Then reality sets in.

I hope we go a true eight deep, but I'm not expecting it.

I have to be honest I've not really followed much of the offseason but in order for Matt Jones to start over Cook and Sulimon he would have had to make a giant leap in production from last year where he didn't see much meaningful minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    I have to be honest I've not really followed much of the offseason but in order for Matt Jones to start over Cook and Sulimon he would have had to make a giant leap in production from last year where he didn't see much meaningful minutes.
    Jones has gotten a lot of run with the first team so far this preseason. Whether that's because he has made a big jump or because Coach K just likes the way he fits with the first team guys, or because it is just Coach K trying to balance sides for practice, or because it is Coach K just messing with us, I don't know. But based on the limited sample so far, it's not out of the question that M. Jones will start some for us.

I agree that this seems crazy, as both Sulaimon and Cook have at times played at All-ACC levels (and Cook has even been honored as an All-ACC guy).

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Jones has gotten a lot of run with the first team so far this preseason. Whether that's because he has made a big jump or because Coach K just likes the way he fits with the first team guys, or because it is just Coach K trying to balance sides for practice, or because it is Coach K just messing with us, I don't know. But based on the limited sample so far, it's not out of the question that M. Jones will start some for us.

I agree that this seems crazy, as both Sulaimon and Cook have at times played at All-ACC levels (and Cook has even been honored as an All-ACC guy).
    I could see Jones starting along side Suliamon or Cook but not in place of both. I just don't see how you can have two experienced ball handlers on the bench with five guys with little experience. Jefferson would be the most experience starter and while he is a Junior he doesn't have nearly as much experience as Suliamon.

Matt Jones has looked like a much-improved player the times I have seen him this pre-season. He will be in the rotation.

I think we need to disabuse ourselves of the notion that Duke will have A Starting Lineup. I suspect Duke will have several.

And I do think T. Jones and Cook will play together a fair amount.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Matt Jones has looked like a much-improved player the times I have seen him this pre-season. He will be in the rotation.

I think we need to disabuse ourselves of the notion that Duke will have A Starting Lineup. I suspect Duke will have several.

And I do think T. Jones and Cook will play together a fair amount.
    I totally agree with all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I totally agree with all of this.
    As do I. Seriously, I do (in case someone thinks I'm just kidding).

I expect to see several different starting lineups during the pre-conference season and the first half of conference play. Once we enter the second half of conference play, I expect/hope to see consistency in the makeup of our starting lineup and the distribution of bench minutes. Matt's role in the rotation will depend on his ability to knock down the open 3. Okafor, Amile and Tyus are going to create a lot of open looks for the wings and capitalizing on those chances will be essential in maximizing the efficiency of our halfcourt offense. Matt only made 3 three point field goals last year, he will need to shoot well in these exhibition and early season games if he wants to see a lot court time moving forward. Sulaimon and Cook are too deadly from 3 to sit on the bench in favor of someone who struggles from deep.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    I expect to see several different starting lineups during the pre-conference season and the first half of conference play. Once we enter the second half of conference play, I expect/hope to see consistency in the makeup of our starting lineup and the distribution of bench minutes. Matt's role in the rotation will depend on his ability to knock down the open 3. Okafor, Amile and Tyus are going to create a lot of open looks for the wings and capitalizing on those chances will be essential in maximizing the efficiency of our halfcourt offense. Matt only made 3 three point field goals last year, he will need to shoot well in these exhibition and early season games if he wants to see a lot court time moving forward. Sulaimon and Cook are too deadly from 3 to sit on the bench in favor of someone who struggles from deep.
    What makes you think that Amile and Tyus will create open looks for other players? Both are good players (potentially very good), but Amile has never proven in his two years at Duke to command a double team nor take his man off the dribble. Tyus is a fantastic PG, but I'm not sure he fits the "JWill" or "Ty Lawson" mold. Tyus will absolutely find open players based on screens and set plays with his accurate passing, but he's not gonna command a double team either. The Oak, on the other hand, will absolutely create dozens for looks for M. Jones and other 3pt shooters.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I meant those 3 will excel at finding the open 3 point shooter... Oak off of double teams, Amile from the high post (as teams will cheat in on okafor in anticipation of an entry pass) and also off of offensive rebounds and tyus will find the the open wings for 3 in the natural flow of the offense. Amile has shown very good passing instincts so far, Okafor has been praised for his passing ability in practice and Tyus has a strong reputation as a pass first point guard who plays under control.

Looks like the white team lineup hasn't changed since CTC.

Clicky

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    Looks like the white team lineup hasn't changed since CTC.

Clicky
    Except unlike CTC, the blue team (Quinn/Rasheed/Semi/Grayson/Marshall) is playing a tie game with those starters. Which would seem to imply that some players on blue are outplaying some players on white (and thus perhaps our best five players are not all on the white team).

This is also consistent with reports of closed scrimmages prior to CTC, and reinforces Coach K's comment that there hasn't been a lot of separation among the players yet.

Except unlike CTC, the blue team (Quinn/Rasheed/Semi/Grayson/Marshall) is playing a tie game with those starters. Which would seem to imply that some players on blue are outplaying some players on white (and thus perhaps our best five players are not all on the white team).

This is also consistent with reports of closed scrimmages prior to CTC, and reinforces Coach K's comment that there hasn't been a lot of separation among the players yet.
    I have not scourged the Interwebs for scrimmage results but this makes three for three in close blue/white 'games' I've heard of when Okafor/Jefferson and three of (TJones, MJones, Winslow, Cook, RS) were all on one side. I was delighted to see the CTC result with that structure was a blow out (so maybe 3/4?). I hope to see more reports of such blow outs. Absent that, explanations of the results from (hypothetical future) consistent close practice games with these groups include: the one you suggest (best 5 are not one the white team), random event, the plausible starters team is handicapped by the coaches (something like they are working on particular things in the scrimmage so it is far from normal college basketball), other?

Yes. My gut instinct is that Quinn Cook will start, probably with Tyus Jones, in the first game, even if that means that one of M. Jones/R. Sulaimon/J. Winslow is not starting. After that, hard to say what may happen, though I agree with (I think) you and some other posters that we may see a number of different starting lineups over the course of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Based on Coach K's post-CTC presser and his pre-open-practice 20-minute interview (both on GoDuke) where he raves about Matt, it will be the Duke Blue Js. Jones, Jones, Justise, Jefferson, Jah

90% sure. Doesn't mean it will stay that way forever and ever (and not that it matters all that much, since all the 2-guard options will get good minutes). But Matt is the starter for now.
    As long as Toronto does not have a copyright, I like Duke Blue Jays more than any of my attempts to name the likely starteers 5-J, J-formation etc

Jah

Jefferson

Justise

Jones, M

Jone, T

Until someone comes up with a better nickname, Duke Blue Jays it is for me.

Talk about a good problem to have..

I would think this really comes down to whether or not Quinn gets the nod at the 2 (therefore pushing Sheed over to the 3). While defensively, I think a much more effective lineup would be JW at the 3 and Sheed playing his natural role in the off-guard spot. I really like the defensive versatility that combination would allow on the wings..that's a pretty tough blend of length and athleticism.

That being said I think this team is built around one man: Okafor. A lineup consisting of Quinn at the 2 and Sheed at the 3 would allow them to space the floor incredibly well offensively. Consequently, teams will be faced with the tough choice of doubling down on Jahlil (creating opportunities for open threes), or showing soft-help and letting Okafor essentially go 1-on-1 in the post.

I'm going to guess that's the way we go. It also helps that it would be the more experienced lineup of the two, featuring more facilitators.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Until someone comes up with a better nickname, Duke Blue Jays it is for me.
    I kinda liked your J-formation myself. Props for noticing the J pattern in the first place!