Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MBB: 2014-15 UNC-CHeaters Season Thread (on-court)

Carolina played their first exhibition game tonight, a 111-58 win over Fayetteville St.

Box score here: http://www.goheels.com/ViewContent.d...ENT_ID=1006187

Their starters for now seem to be:

PG - Paige
    SG - Tokoto
    SF - Justin Jackson
    PF - Brice Johnson
    C - Kennedy Meeks

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Carolina played their first exhibition game tonight, a 111-58 win over Fayetteville St.

PG - Paige
    SG - Tokoto
    SF - Justin Jackson
    PF - Brice Johnson
    C - Kennedy Meeks
    Lot of length in that lineup, not too much quickness or shooting.

UNC fans expect Jackson to be an effective perimeter scorer/shooter, doubling the amount of those that they had in the lineup last season. If they're right about him, the Heels will be formidable and legit top 10 assuming typical improvement from the rest of the roster, imo.

Oh, also, I should say I'm not married to the thread title. I kind of quickly brute-forced a reference to the scandal in there before going to bed. If it's improved upon or eliminated, doesn't matter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Lot of length in that lineup, not too much quickness or shooting.
    The second team is where the quickness of this team will be most apparent, and they will get minutes. UNC is going to wear teams down this season with pressure.

Shooting has improved enough over last season and to help spread the floor.

The team is gonna run, run, run. And they're gonna do a lot of pressing on defense.

This will be a very good UNC team this year, get ready.

I hope we don't have a running thread on them, especially given "the in-game curse" of mentioning when UNC looks like they may lose.

On topic, that's a good starting five. Big and long, and Paige is a legitimate national AA candidate. Tokoto has yet to hit the hype/potential he had coming in, but a senior is always capable of hitting it at the right time (at least I think he is a senior).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Tokoto has yet to hit the hype/potential he had coming in, but a senior is always capable of hitting it at the right time (at least I think he is a senior).
    Tokoto is a Jr.

I'd have to say he is coming along nicely. He was hyped for his athletism coming in, but as a player, everyone knew he had work to do on his game. He has really improved his ball handling, defense and intensity. He still has room to grow to improve his shot, but he showed last season better shot selection, which is a big first step in improving on shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    The second team is where the quickness of this team will be most apparent, and they will get minutes. UNC is going to wear teams down this season with pressure.

The team is gonna run, run, run. And they're gonna do a lot of pressing on defense.

I expect they will be VERY good this year...

The issues with UNC for this year are not on the court as much as how much if any distractions are taking place off the court with the cheating scandal.

If the team is insulated from off the court stuff, UNC should be a tough out and is potential FF material IMO.

PG - Paige
    SG - Tokoto
    SF - Justin Jackson
    PF - Brice Johnson
    C - Kennedy Meeks
    And nary a one will be seen in a meaningful class, nor do an ounce of meaningful schoolwork ...

THE CAROLINA WAY

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I hope we don't have a running thread on them, especially given "the in-game curse" of mentioning when UNC looks like they may lose.
    In recent years we've used a running thread on UNC to capture stray thoughts about how their season is going in between game threads. The game threads sink once the games are done and the running thread stays afloat. I think it's a good system.

And look, this thread brought out Wheat! Can't be all bad.

If this is true, we'll have some entertaining, high-scoring games with you guys because Duke is going to push in transition this year with Tyus Jones and we may do some pressing ourselves. I'm looking forward to more Duke 93-UNC 81 type scores this season.

Tokoto is a Jr.

I'd have to say he is coming along nicely. He was hyped for his athletism coming in, but as a player, everyone knew he had work to do on his game. He has really improved his ball handling, defense and intensity. He still has room to grow to improve his shot, but he showed last season better shot selection, which is a big first step in improving on shooting.
    Thanks, Wheat. My comment on Tokoto was meant as a compliment that he has room to grow, and I agree he has improved. He was shoved into a tough role early, which probably shook his confidence a bit. Someone had to take those outside shots besides just PJ; the shot selection may be more a function of the coaches telling him to green light those. You probably watched it closer than I did, though.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    And nary a one will be seen in a meaningful class, nor do an ounce of meaningful schoolwork ...

THE CAROLINA WAY
    And no offense to WHeat but this and the scandal is the reason I really don't give a flying rip about the potential of this team. The basketball has been ruined. Any win they get including over us won't mean a damn thing to me because they are a fraud program of cheaters. Given the scope of the 18 year long scandal to keep ineligible players legal to play, it is fair to ask how many other areas have they and do they cheat in. Recruiting for example. How many unknown violations there? Booster payments to players? It's a Pandora's box and we will never know the true scope and depth of the cheating or how far back it really goes. Game over.

This will be my one and only post in this thread as I simply don't care about their basketball program any longer. Karma says they should win nothing and lose tons of games, but that won't happen. Anything they win is meaningless to me and I hope they lose every game by 30.

Lets talk about the legit programs in the ACC like Louisville, NC State, Wake, FSU, Clemson, Pitt, BC and the like...

I hope Roy would retire in one week. However, the scandal cloud probably will not influence the current team. This Holes team has the ability to reach FF.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    And no offense to WHeat but this and the scandal is the reason I really don't give a flying rip about the potential of this team. The basketball has been ruined. Any win they get including over us won't mean a damn thing to me because they are a fraud program of cheaters. Given the scope of the 18 year long scandal to keep ineligible players legal to play, it is fair to ask how many other areas have they and do they cheat in. Recruiting for example. How many unknown violations there? Booster payments to players? It's a Pandora's box and we will never know the true scope and depth of the cheating or how far back it really goes. Game over.

This will be my one and only post in this thread as I simply don't care about their basketball program any longer. Karma says they should win nothing and lose tons of games, but that won't happen. Anything they win is meaningless to me and I hope they lose every game by 30.

Lets talk about the legit programs in the ACC like Louisville, NC State, Wake, FSU, Clemson, Pitt, BC and the like...

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post

At least Newton is giving us one solid comment on the mass corruption. That's one more comment than I've seen from Swofford. Guess he's not compelled to speak on maybe the most embarrassing episode in ACC athletics. Also surprised nothing from Bilas ( of course may have missed it).

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    At least Newton is giving us one solid comment on the mass corruption. That's one more comment than I've seen from Swofford. Guess he's not compelled to speak on maybe the most embarrassing episode in ACC athletics. Also surprised nothing from Bilas ( of course may have missed it).
    Bilas has linked several damning articles in his tweets. He often follows it with a comment that the academic oversight folks failed or we're AWOL too.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

THE CAROLINA WAY
    Look, I know it is fun to pile abuse on a hated rival, but the current members of the UNC basketball team are actually people, and there is no evidence that they personally have been involved in any sort of academic fraud. Marcus Paige was a second-team Academic All American last year. The others may not be as academically impressive, and some may take classes that you would not define as "meaningful," but there is a difference between easy classes, which exist at every school and are often taken by non-athletes as well as athletes, and fake classes. I feel pretty confident, given everything that has been going on at UNC and scrutiny brought on by the scandal, that the basketball team's academic advisors over the last year or two have been making sure no one is signed up for actual fake classes--that's not a risk any sane program would take.

If you just have had enough of UNC altogether, like Newton_14, that is one thing, but saying current players are part of the cheating, without any support, seems unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Look, I know it is fun to pile abuse on a hated rival, but the current members of the UNC basketball team are actually people, and there is no evidence that they personally have been involved in any sort of academic fraud. Marcus Paige was a second-team Academic All American last year. The others may not be as academically impressive, and some may take classes that you would not define as "meaningful," but there is a difference between easy classes, which exist at every school and are often taken by non-athletes as well as athletes, and fake classes. I feel pretty confident, given everything that has been going on at UNC and scrutiny brought on by the scandal, that the basketball team's academic advisors over the last year or two have been making sure no one is signed up for actual fake classes--that's not a risk any sane program would take.

If you just have had enough of UNC altogether, like Newton_14, that is one thing, but saying current players are part of the cheating, without any support, seems unfair.
    You're right about the players, but how about the coach and the institution?

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Look, I know it is fun to pile abuse on a hated rival, but the current members of the UNC basketball team are actually people, and there is no evidence that they personally have been involved in any sort of academic fraud. ... I feel pretty confident, ... that the basketball team's academic advisors ... have been making sure no one is signed up for actual fake classes--that's not a risk any sane program would take.

... saying current players are part of the cheating, without any support, seems unfair.
    You probably felt pretty confident that the advisors at unc wouldn't allow fraudulent classes over the past 20 years

The evidence that the current players are engaged in fraud is that that is the way it has been done at carolina for the past 20 years. Circumstantial. But evidence.

As long as carolina refuses to take FULL responsibility, it is a fair inference that fraud has been and will continue to be accepted at carolina.

ol' roy and carolina players basked in the unwarranted presumption of moral superiority for too many years. Turn about is fair play, the current team must bear the burden of the reputation sullied over the last 20 or more years.

I have no reason, even with these past shenanigans, to implicate the current players.

Roy and his staff should resign.

Two different things.

And look, this thread brought out Wheat! Can't be all bad.
    Is it possible to get a gluten-free version of Wheat? I seem to have GI issues after many of his posts.