Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The ACC: Week 9

The ACC: Week 9

Week 9 kicks off tonight when Miami travels to Blacksburg to take on Virginia Tech. Miami is a slight favorite (-2.5), but VT has been pretty good on Thursday night even though they lost last week at Pittsburgh. VT has a bad case of the injury bug this year with the latest victim being DT Luther Maddy who is out for the season with a knee injury. I'm looking for a Miami victory tonight. The 'Canes will have their hands full when they host Florida State later in the season so Duke fans can pull for Miami to incur their third conference loss then.

On to Saturday:

North Carolina at Virginia - the last thing Duke fans desire to see is North Carolina building momentum off their victory over Georgia Tech so Go Wahoos!

Georgia Tech at Pittsburgh - the Yellow Jackets already have two confernece losses and we beat them head to head, so Duke fans should be pulling for GT to hand Pitt a second conference loss.

Syracuse at Clemson - an Orange upset would put Duke ahead of Clemson in the ACC pecking order. With DeShaun Watson out, Syracuse winning isn't an impossible outcome.

Boston College at Wake Forest - Wake is pitiful...enough said.

C'mon DBR, let's talk some football!
    Bob Green

My analyses reached the same conclusions. Here's what i said at the end of last week (DEFINITELY citing this to avoid self plagiarism :P )

source: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...639#post749639

So, the games this week and who might we want to win while we're enjoying sipping mimosas on an off week?

Miami vs VT:
    I actually think the pick has to be miami. If miami wins, they'll finish with 3 losses at best (FSU), and that puts VT at 3 losses as well...giving us a 2 game buffer over either. If VT wins, it puts miami out of contention, but means that we're are in BIG trouble if we lose to VT...putting us each at two divisional losses...we'd need another team to get in the tiebreaker to help us out.

UNC vs UVA:
    I think the pick is UVA, for similar justification of above. If UVA wins, we have a 2 game buffer over UNC, as well as an effective 2 game buffer over UVA (FSU + tiebreak). If UNC wins, it puts UVA effectively out of contention (3 losses, tiebreak issues), as well as makes UNC very dangerous to lose to...putting them at 6-2 with only a SINGLE divisional loss. There is no situation in which we win a 6-2 tiebreak involving UNC.

Pitt vs GT:
    Gotta be GT. If GT wins, pitt has 2 losses, and if we lose to pitt, we can end up in a 6-2 trio with GT and Pitt, all at 1-1 in among tied teams, and 4-2 against the division. It would come to record against 5-3 teams, which might include virgina or miami and could go a number of ways. If pitt wins, and we lose to pitt, pitt must lose 2 of their last 3...
    1200. DDMF.

Excellent result for us with Miami walloping VPISU right now - That puts VT at 3 losses, while Miami has 2 already and faces FSU later (so almost certainly will pick up a third).

This increases the chance a 6-2 Duke can take the division again.

Now we could use GT over Pitt (GT plays Clemson to get loss #3, if Duke beats Pitt it practically eliminates them or if they lose, Pitt still has to be perfect). Also could use UVA over UNC, since UVA also plays FSU and GT on the road in the next two weeks.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Virginia Tech was not impressive for the second consecutive Thursday night (I went to bed at halftime). Miami's commitment to running the ball opened up play action pass plays. The touchdown pass to Duke Johnson with time ticking down at the end of the half was great execution of a gutsy call. If Johnson was tackled short of the end zone, there would have been about three seconds on the clock so Miami would have struggled to spike the ball before time expired as they had no timeouts remaining.
    Bob Green

I would not count FSU@Miami or Clemson@Georgia Tech as sure-fire losses for the home teams.

So, question for people who know more about football scheduling than I do (possibly everyone): is it unusual for a team like Duke to have two open dates in October? It seems a little odd. Does the Duke schedule start earlier than most or run later?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I would not count FSU@Miami or Clemson@Georgia Tech as sure-fire losses for the home teams.
    ehhhh...i think miami has looked good beating up on a very bat VT team. they didn't look particularly good against us, despite the resounding victory and us playing terribly. FSU, while maybe not as good as last year is still head and shoulders above the rest of the conference and should win without much trouble.
    1200. DDMF.

A bit OT, but after watching that Miami@VT game plus the result from their game with UCONN, ECU does not look like it should be ranked.

Amazing how far Virginia Tech has fallen. Can you believe that THIS VPI team went to Columbus and beat Ohio State?

What does that say about the Buckeyes?

And I agree with DukeSean, East Carolina's resume is getting worse by the minute. Not only are they scraping by against some very weak teams (SMU, UConn), but their "signature" opponents are slumping badly. The wins over Virginia Tech and UNC doesn't look all that impressive at the moment - and the loss to South Carolina looks far worse than it did when it happened.

Last night's game indicates how volatile the Coastal Division is. I think it worked out okay for us -- VPI is probably out of the race with three losses, while Miami ought to get its third against FSU (although if Winston is out by then, Miami is good enough to win).

Pulling for Georgia Tech to hand Pitt a second loss and for Virginia to knock UNC out of the race.

Also hoping that Syracuse can pull the big upset in Death Valley (it would really help our slim chances for the Orange), but I don't expect it

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Amazing how far Virginia Tech has fallen. Can you believe that THIS VPI team went to Columbus and beat Ohio State?
    All the same, we need to get some quality minutes for Thomas Sirk or Parker Boehme. If Frank Beamer thinks we only have one serviceable quarterback, he will send his goons after Anthony Boone big time.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    All the same, we need to get some quality minutes for Thomas Sirk or Parker Boehme. If Frank Beamer thinks we only have one serviceable quarterback, he will send his goons after Anthony Boone big time.
    Excellent point, although the goons are coming regardless.

A nice start in Charlottesville: Virginia 14, Carolina 0. Carolina run defense is a sieve.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    A nice start in Charlottesville: Virginia 14, Carolina 0. Carolina run defense is a sieve.
    Carolina's defense is like many of their classes: it only exists on paper.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Watching a commercial about UNC, the university 'of the people' or whatever they call it, is hilarious.

Marquis Williams is big fellow. Let's hope UVA doesn't keep letting him bust through the line like he just did. Wahoowa!

Carolina's offense is explosive. All tied at 14.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Carolina's defense is like many of their classes: it only exists on paper.
    UNC likes their defense how they like their classes: they only exist on paper
    UNC likes their defense how they like their classes: no show
    UNC likes their defense how they like their classes: you give them whatever they want
    UNC likes their defense how they like their classes: easy to beat
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    UNC likes their defense how they like their classes: they only exist on paper
    UNC likes their defense how they like their classes: no show
    UNC likes their defense how they like their classes: you give them whatever they want
    UNC likes their defense how they like their classes: easy to beat
    Very sporkable effort! Like with many, the last few days exhausted my spork ability at present.

I believe that their offense will test our defense, unfortunately.

Wow. UVa with a really bad finish -- just gave the game to the Heels.

An absolutely horrible last 7:30 minutes by Virginia. Turnovers and penalties were the difference.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Wow. UVa with a really bad finish -- just gave the game to the Heels.
    the coastal race could very well come down to the duke/unc game
    1200. DDMF.