Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marbury...Classy Guy

Note the sarcasm. Based on the front page story a couple of days ago, and this article, seems Marbury has ZERO respect for women and is basically a complete dirtbag...allegedly of course. I wonder if his "Ho" of a wife (his own words) knew about his antics.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7217512

-EarlJam

He may be a dirtbag, I don't like hin as a player, and I certainly have taken issue with some of his actions in the past . . .

. . . BUT, anyone who gives 4 mil to underprivileged youth gets some respect for me, whatever the motivations

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    He may be a dirtbag, I don't like hin as a player, and I certainly have taken issue with some of his actions in the past . . .

. . . BUT, anyone who gives 4 mil to underprivileged youth gets some respect for me, whatever the motivations
    Also, he has shoes that are targeted towards kids who can't afford $100 Air Jordans

say what you will about starbury, but the fact is that while he may be living in a complete fantasy world where he can do anything he wants and continue to be "the best point guard in the league," he absolutely has a social conscience and thats a lot more than can be said about many other nba players who exhibit similar off the court behavior. while he may talk like an idiot sometimes, i generally think he is a good person, who's behavior as a team leader has matured too. you'll see that this season when the knicks compete for a playoff spot, and eventually when they win the championship in three years.

But of course, to reiterate EarlJam's OP, he does stay very classy...

what odds do you want?

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    and eventually when they win the championship in three years.
    i'll take some of that action!

Quote Originally Posted by dbb03 View Post
    i'll take some of that action!
    Yeah, sign me up for that. As for the playoff spot, how difficult is it to compete for a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Last year's Duke team could have competed for a spot in the East (well, not really... but you get my point).

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Also, he has shoes that are targeted towards kids who can't afford $100 Air Jordans
    And they are pretty good shoes. My 13 year old son (who wears a size 14shoe) has a pair. He mainly wears them t o school and such, but has played a few games in them. He though they offerred pretty good support.

I've posted this before, but think it's worth reiterating here. I saw Starbury play the summer before his junior year in high school, before the tats and the 'tude. Not only did I find his talent the most intriguing I'd seen at that level -- and I've seen Kobe, Iverson, Grant Hill, Chris Webber and others play in high school -- but he seemed to have a really sweet disposition as well. On a couple of occasions he displayed impressively sportsmanlike behavior.

Of course, at some point he decided that he needed to "blow up," as they say, and become a cartoonish celebrity. But I think the good kid I saw in '93 is still there not too far beneath the surface. Maybe not the sharpest knife in the drawer, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    On a couple of occasions he displayed impressively sportsmanlike behavior.
    Just curious what this means: helping someone up after they fall? Signing autographs for kids? I'm not trying to argue with you, just "impressively sportsmanlike" sounds weird to me.

In the current sports culture, any show of sportsmanship is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Just curious what this means: helping someone up after they fall? Signing autographs for kids? I'm not trying to argue with you, just "impressively sportsmanlike" sounds weird to me.
    It's a little hazy, being 14 years ago. I believe he did help someone up who had fallen. I'm pretty sure that he demonstrated concern for the welfare of someone in the stands after he had tumbled into him chasing a loose ball. Just had kind of a joyful approach to playing the game, and a distributor's instincts. No 'tude at all.

marbury interview

apologizing beforehand if this was posted here already. i thought it was but couldn't find it. Anyway, Steph has some serious issues - drugs? mental health? not sure, but something ain't right...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yTjebH2fLU

Elements seem very mixed in the guy. Seems to me that, at an early age, a very early age, he tired of coaches trying to tell him what to do, how to do, that which he had absolutely mastered. In a way, I applaud that. It has also made him peck's bad boy.

His generosity of spirit, sportsmanship, respect for others reportedly (a friend of Pohlcat's (my boy from high school whose two daughters were dukies in the early to late 90s) was his jr. high school principal) goes back to when he was a kid when he had nothing but his enormous talent and his family.

Lots of negative, extremely negative PR in that very public and prolonged blowup with LB. To me, this shoe thing has shown how smart and creative this guy is, and I am in the bag for LB.
    Last edited by greybeard; 09-14-2007 at 01:43 PM.

isaih. marbury, the knicks, the garden

http://deadspin.com/sports/another-d...hon-299444.php

couldn't be happening to a nice group of people.

Quote Originally Posted by dbb03 View Post
    http://deadspin.com/sports/another-d...hon-299444.php

couldn't be happening to a nice group of people.
    Wow. Retraction, as in complete!

reopening an old thread...

Now he's left the team and threatening the Knicks about Isiah. The plot thickens... no wait, is thickens the right word? Maybe dumb-ens :-p

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Note the sarcasm. Based on the front page story a couple of days ago, and this article, seems Marbury has ZERO respect for women and is basically a complete dirtbag...allegedly of course. I wonder if his "Ho" of a wife (his own words) knew about his antics.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7217512

-EarlJam
    The guy is a dirtbag.

I'm surprised that they want him back, but he's supposedly headed out to join the team for tonight's game. He was fined $182,000 for missing last night's game (I think that's one game's salary...sick!) and decided it wasn't worth another $182,000 to miss tonight as well.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    The guy is a dirtbag.
    Zeke? Absolutely: he leads his boyz off the court before the championship game is over; he threatens Mello, then sends a goon to take one of the Knicks' down, smiles at a press conference and all but says, "What do you expect, they were running up the score," and then gets a pass by the commish, who needed more evidence. Let's not forget what he did to Dantley. Dirtball works for me.