View Poll Results: What should UNC's punishment be

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • All games from the past 15 years are stricken, including titles in 2005 and 2009

27 25.00%
  • Ineligible for postseason play and lose half their scholarships for the next 5 years

6 5.56%
  • Some combination of the two

53 49.07%
  • Other

22 20.37%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This is quite true and sorta interesting to think about. Someone mentioned this upthread, I believe, but the fact that Duke, NC State, and other schools lose kids to academics every now and then (rarely at some schools, with some regularity at others) is proof that not everyone is doing it.

-Jason "I hope all the Pack Pride folks are feeling really good right about now" Evans
    Precisely! we've lost a number of guys over the years as academic or cheating casualties...our best RB on the football last year, Jela Duncan, was suspended...QB Asack got ousted twice.
    Many people have mentioned over the years that no one at unc ever seemed to get disciplined (by unc) for anything. Being an academic casualty over there was an impossibility.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Where's the x mark through 1924?
    If you knead to know, Helms only considered the dough - no scholarship necessary.

Anyone who thinks the punishment will fit the crime hasn't been paying attention the past 4 years.

I have zero confidence the NCAA will do anything meaningful.

We like to give UK a hard time- at least Kentucky forced Sutton to resign during the 1988/89 scandal.

Given the unprecedented scope and scale, it's hard to fathom what is actually reasonable and appropriate.

UNC does not need to be punished because UNC has already punished themselves and didn't you read the report it said Roy wasn't involved and anyway UNC never did anything wrong in the first place because UNC never does anything wrong otherwise they wouldn't be UNC and everybody does it and we have already moved on from this and Jason Williams majored in sociology and Kentucky tried to pay Rex Chapman once and Dean Smith Carolina Way Four Corners Franklin Street Michael Jordan LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU
    Last edited by hurleyfor3; 10-24-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Can the ACC take things into their own hands

In one of these threads there was a link to a SC paper's article that mentioned the ACC tacked on an extra punishment to an NCAA punishment. Could the ACC just enforce their own penalty?

What do I mean by this? Although we as fans might not like this, the ACC presidents could get together and just refuse to play UNC for a year. Yes UNC gets all of the wins by forfeit, but a clear message is that the ACC does not tolerate cheaters.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    In one of these threads there was a link to a SC paper's article that mentioned the ACC tacked on an extra punishment to an NCAA punishment. Could the ACC just enforce their own penalty?

What do I mean by this? Although we as fans might not like this, the ACC presidents could get together and just refuse to play UNC for a year. Yes UNC gets all of the wins by forfeit, but a clear message is that the ACC does not tolerate cheaters.
    Can we just accept that any punishment that would more than mildly inconvenience Nike and ESPN is a non-starter? Can't upset the governing bodies of college sports like that.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Make unc embroider HELMS - IN VERY LARGE LETTERS - across the 2005 banner
    Holy crap. Suddenly the Helms trophy becomes the one you can't make fun of. Kind of.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Eurobasket says Sean weighs 266 pounds. I beg to differ. Dude looks like he's pushing 280, at least.
    How much does the scale say when he puts both feet on it?

You should really take this idea to the ACC's Commissioner. He's the person who would decide to take action against Carolina. His name is John Swofford and he is a former UNC football player who was athletic director at Carolina when this ugliness first started. I am certain he will be interested in your ideas...

...OR NOT!!!

-Jason "The ACC won't do anything, but I have to think that the NCAA will have something to say in a week or two when they have really examined the report" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    I'd also like to see UNC re-enroll the 3,100 students at no cost to the students, and provide them with the educational opportunity they were to have been afforded when they originally matriculated.
    Bingo. And if they won't, then I think they have a class action suit, although IANAL.

I'm pessimistic, though. It's Carolina. They'll get off with a mildly smarting wrist slap. The rules don't apply to some schools.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    I object to the above image.

1924 skates.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    How much does the scale say when he puts both feet on it?
    "what do you mean the scale measures in kilograms?"

Mark of Kane

It is possible UNC will never be subjected to punishment commensurate with her notorious activities over so many years. It seems to me it would be fitting to create a way for anyone so inclined to add to and preserve for all time the shame that UNC so rightly deserves. I suggest that henceforth the Dean Dome or any future home of UNC basketball be referred to as The Kanebrake to both honor Dan for his mighty efforts in putting a stop to those activities and to serve as a frequent reminder that The Carolina Way was actually a fraud.

Their punishment will be to wear an ugly shade of blue... Oh wait - it must be self imposed they already DO that.

TH

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    Why are we only concentrating on the 2005 championship? Isn't 2009 and for that matter 1993 included during the scandal? Didn't Hansborough himself take Swahili during his time at Chapel Hill? Just wondering why were only worried about 2005, I guess because of McCants and his admission that he didn't write some of his own work.
    As I recall, almost the entire team was taking courses from AFAM when TH was there...but of course the coach had recommended they steer away from that deparment...BS!

Exactly

So by that measure all three need to be taken down in shame. In another thread I brought up how this might hurt the rivalry and perhaps Duke and the ACC. But after reading more of the facts and reading what everyone has to say. I don't care any more the outright cheating and academic fraud is so overwhelming that I dont care about UNC anymore. As one poster said in the other thread "They are Dead to me" Give them the Death penalty and make them restructure everything from academics to athletics. Roll some heads fire coaches and advisors and whoever else could have stopped this if they had just opened thier eyes. This is the NCAA's chance to lay the smack down and back up thier claim of "Student Atheletes" If the vast majority of student athletes are going to go pro in something other than thier sport, the least schools can do is offer actual real classes to help them get there. Its shameful and it will forever tarnish how I feel about UNC and any of thier fans who continue to defend or tolerate such things. I will respect a fan that admits to the wrong doing and still sticks with the school and the team through whatever happens. But the fools who make excuses and defend or deflect blame can all well... you know GTHC!!!

I was thinking about this when I was reading the "W report" thread. With the extent of this issue and Emmert's comments would it be too radical to make UNC move to a lower division for a few years.

I was thinking about this when I was reading the "W report" thread. With the extent of this issue and Emmert's comments would it be too radical to make UNC move to a lower division for a few years.
    They've already gone to hell. How much lower do you want them to move?

19.gifdevil9f.gif
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Buried Alive

There was a movie some time back in the stone ages - Heavy Metal I think - when somebody said, "Hangin's too good for 'em! Burnin's too good for em! They should be torn up into little pieces and buried alive!" That's how I feel.

1. Loss of titles from 1993 on - all sports that are implicated.
    2. Return all monies form bowl games 1993 on.
    3. Void the wins in the record book for any game, any sport where a player took one of the sham classes.
    4. Post-season ban - all sports that are implicated - duration equal to the number of years when they had inelligible players.
    5. Lose 25% of their scholarships - duration equal to the number of years when they had inelligible players.
    The Gordog

EXCLAIMER: This is SIMPLY a hypothetical question.

JUST a question of a purely suppositional nature:

As a Duke fan, would anyone willingly accept UNC receiving the maximum amount of punishment (banners, wins, monies, etc), but in exchange, Duke's men's basketball program would have to forfeit the 1998-1999 season (Maggette, Myron Piggie), and the 2009-2010 season (Thomas' jewelry)?

To be honest, I have no idea whatsoever how the basketball program did not receive substantial punishment regarding Maggette's amateur status, and the Thomas issue is something that will always be quite difficult for me to reconcile.

On a side note, living in the heart of Kentucky during the 80's, the Sutton scandal was intense. IN. TENSE.

A great many people viewed the events of the Sutton era as the end of the UK Roman Empire, until the day Rick Pitino walked to the podium, and each and every UK fan I know said the following, "oh, he's coming here? Yeah, I will totally take the punishment in exchange for having Pitino."

And from 1989 to 1991, things were tough for the UK program, but that short window was blown out the door by the 1992 season's miracle end, the 1993 Final Four, 1995 Final Four, 1996 title, and the 1997 runner-up.

Three or four years of struggle were nothing for UK fans when they took part in five elite eight appearances, four Final Fours, two title games, and a title team on the backs of one of the greatest teams in college basketball history.

Once a program reaches a certain plateau (UK basketball, USC football, Penn State football, Miami football, Michigan basketball, et al.), and is not a minor collective hitting a short spike (SMU football, Cal basketball, Georgia basketball, BC basketball, Northwestern basketball), I do not think there is anyway to punish a power program in the long term.