Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thumbs down

"The Crowder/Nyang'oro scheme marked a horrible chapter in the history of this great university," North Carolina president Thomas W. Ross

Luckily they found the evil masterminds trying to pull the wool over eyes of all the coaches and administrators

CNN headline was brutal!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Sweet segment on Nightly News avec Brian Williams, leading with "Basketweaving classes would be step up" from what the hole hoops and football and other athletes were, ahem, studying ooooh yeah...
    Campus interviews with saddened, broken regular students feeling "tainted" by the revelations.

Deeeelish!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

a McCants sighting

McCants acquitted himself well in the CNN interview today.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/22/us/unc...l?c=homepage-t

My favorite part -- his response to the other bball players and their previous statement of support of the program and their experiences -- "show us your transcript."

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I made the mistake of listening to Joe Ovies on 99.9 when travelling in the Triangle area today; he made sure to remind listeners about Lance Thomas, seeming to indicate some equivalence with the 2005 UNC team winning a championship with numerous players in the AFAM scam, and Duke having a 2010 championship banner despite Lance Thomas's jewelry purchase.
    99.9 is almost completely un-listenable right now... I try... but they almost always go in a direction that makes me turn it off.

Would it be too much to ask today that they discuss this Newsworthy story with a little passion and glee?
    No, they do it in the lamest, driest, least inspired way possible.

When they get on their pet bully pulpit topic about paying the players... I leave.

When I was a kid I used to work at a movie theater. Being on the inside of such an operation, you grow immune to the popcorn seasoning. You soon find yourself using 5x more seasoning than necessary just because you get used to 4x the amount... I think its the same dynamic at play for the Sports news guys...

They need to keep it interesting for THEMSELVES... and the pay the players topic does it for them with 5x the flavor.
    I wish they would keep that noise in the break room.

It would be so much easier for them if they didn't have to talk about such newsy things as scandals and focus on "what if" Hulk fought Thor type sports discussions in which there is no real answer... To which I say "DO your DANG job".

@BlueDevilNation: Nine employees gone at UNC but the Helms trophy is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    McCants acquitted himself well in the CNN interview today.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/22/us/unc...l?c=homepage-t

My favorite part -- his response to the other bball players and their previous statement of support of the program and their experiences -- "show us your transcript."
    That CNN story had this line it: "Basketball coach Roy Williams maintained he had no knowledge of the fraud, Wainstein said, which was supported by a drop in enrollment in the suspect classes by basketball players during his tenure."

If anything, wouldn't a drop in enrollment in the suspect classes during Roy's tenure indicate knowledge by the basketball program of the fraud and a desire to distance the program from it? Otherwise, the implication is Roy would direct his players to participate in fraudulent classes provided he knew such fraudulent classes existed.

Am I missing something here?

Hole: Every college has easy classes, we're no different

Rational person: So that makes it okay?

Hole: Duke has easy classes too, I'm sure their athletes are stupid too

Rational Person: Even if every other school does the same thing, they weren't stupid enough to get caught

Hole: I am going to misspell Duke as I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this., because you guys stink

Rational Person: Well reasoned argument stud...

Also, I took all the easiest classes at Duke minus the African language, which mostly athletes get in because that is really easy. Other than that language course, all of those easy classes were not the easiest things in the world, still above the level of high school work required to get an A, let alone above the level of 5th Grade work like some of those AFAM classes.

God I hope they have to vacate titles. How can they get away with this!?? I feel like I am taking crazy pills!!!!
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Crowder immediately gave the report an A.
    Probably the first report she's read over two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    That CNN story had this line it: "Basketball coach Roy Williams maintained he had no knowledge of the fraud, Wainstein said, which was supported by a drop in enrollment in the suspect classes by basketball players during his tenure."

If anything, wouldn't a drop in enrollment in the suspect classes during Roy's tenure indicate knowledge by the basketball program of the fraud and a desire to distance the program from it? Otherwise, the implication is Roy would direct his players to participate in fraudulent classes provided he knew such fraudulent classes existed.

Am I missing something here?
    Wainstein surprised me with the level of detail. But in the end, he stopped short of indicting the coaches and left a strong out for the NCAA. I suspect it's over, back to normal and UNC off the hook. However, I do see a drop in their perceived stature despite the rhetoric from the Brass.

Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate85 View Post
    Dean Smith -- 4 years, 54 enrollments (13.5 per year on a roster of 15 players)
    Guthridge -- 3 years, 17 enrollments (just under 6 per year)
    Doherty -- 3 years, 42 enrollments (14 per year)
    Ol' Roy -- 11 years, 167 enrollments (15+ per year)

Did Guthridge know something and do something about it, or did the research miss a bunch of classes? The numbers for the other 3 coaches are remarkably consistent. An average of 1 phony class per player per year.
    Actually, that would be 167 enrollments in EIGHT years - the gravy train stopped three years ago. So that's 20 enrollments per year under ol' roy. Wonder how ol' roy's record in the last three years - sans overt academic fraud to keep players eligible - compares to the first 8 years where his team averaged TWENTY fraudulent classes each year to keep players eligible..

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post

A report commissioned by the University of North Carolina says school academic advisers steered athletes into sham classes over an 18-year period but does not directly implicate coaches or athletic administrators in the scheme.

... academic advisers in North Carolina's athletic department colluded with a manager in the African and Afro-American Studies department for student-athletes to take classes to boost their GPAs and keep them eligible in their respective sports.

The classes, in place from 1993 to 2011, were overseen by Debby Crowder, the longtime manager in the African and Afro-American Studies department, and later by the department chairman. They allowed a student to write a paper of at least 10 pages rather than attend lectures or meet with professors. The papers were graded by Crowder, who was not a professor. They typically earned an A or B-plus grade.

... academic advisers in the school's Academic Support Program for Student Athletes had ties to Crowder and let her know how high a student's grade needed to be to maintain a 2.0 GPA to be eligible to play. It also said that those advisers pushed Crowder to make exceptions for athletes, including allowing them to enroll in classes after the registration period had ended.

The ASPSA is not part of the athletic department but is located in the same offices. The report says it clearly steered players to the sham classes.

How is this not a drop dead lock for violation of NCAA rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Interesting.

A report commissioned by the University of North Carolina says school academic advisers steered athletes into sham classes over an 18-year period but does not directly implicate coaches or athletic administrators in the scheme.
    Just because the coaches or athletic admins weren't implicated shouldn't mean the university should get out unscathed. That would set a very bad and dangerous precedent. Basically, to cheat and not get punished, create a buffer zone of willing, loyal advisers and have the athletics department look the other way.

The report, released Wednesday, says academic advisers in North Carolina's athletic department colluded with a manager in the African and Afro-American Studies department for student-athletes to take classes to boost their GPAs and keep them eligible in their respective sports.
    "Student athletes" is an interesting term. Out of the athletes that took sham classes, what % were football players? What % were basketball players? What % were soccer or golf players? I'd be willing to bet that the cash sports would have had a higher ratio of students taking sham classes than students that did not.

The report, the third and most comprehensive produced in the matter, said some academic advisers in the school's Academic Support Program for Student Athletes had ties to Crowder and let her know how high a student's grade needed to be to maintain a 2.0 GPA to be eligible to play. It also said that those advisers pushed Crowder to make exceptions for athletes, including allowing them to enroll in classes after the registration period had ended.
    Aren't the academic advisers for athletes generally assigned in conjunction with the athletics department? There is virtually no way that at a university with the athletic stature of UNC that the athletics department didn't at least know who the advisers were and what classes were being taken. And you can bet that there had to be at least whispers of "sham classes" going around the water cooler. Especially since...

The ASPSA is not part of the athletic department but is located in the same offices. The report says it clearly steered players to the sham classes.
    Also, Roy didn't know, yet Wayne Walder was an academic counselor for men's basketball at Kansas *and* UNC. Think Roy didn't help get him hired with at least a letter of recommendation?

The report listed Wayne Walden -- the associate director of ASPSA and academic counselor for a number of sports, including men's basketball from 2003 to 2009, and who has worked closely with Williams at both Kansas and North Carolina -- as one of the counselors who "steered players into these paper classes." It said Walden and his predecessor, Burgess McSwain, "routinely called Crowder to arrange classes for their players." The report also said Walden later played a role in the basketball players' move away from the paper-class system.
    At worst, this is lack of institutional control. At best, it's willing complacence in an area that demands a watchful eye. It's not like we've never heard of schools doing this type of stuff before.

Also, re: Joe Ovies...

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I made the mistake of listening to Joe Ovies on 99.9 when travelling in the Triangle area today; he made sure to remind listeners about Lance Thomas, seeming to indicate some equivalence with the 2005 UNC team winning a championship with numerous players in the AFAM scam, and Duke having a 2010 championship banner despite Lance Thomas's jewelry purchase.
    He went to NCSU and is a Wolfpack fan. He should be absolutely giddy. Adam Gold, however, went to Maryland and seems to lean as a Tarheel fan, so it makes sense for him to be an apologist.

So, what do we hear from the folks at State? Are they in seventh heaven or in the doldrums? I would guess the latter, since the report did not go far enough in their view. The Magic 8-ball says "try again."

Quote Originally Posted by martydoesntfoul View Post
    So what now? Is it up to the NCAA? Can the school impose voluntary sanctions? Are the banners effectively protected? The whole thing still smells bad. Plausible deniability on the part of leaders (along with conveniently spotty memories) is a wonderful weapon. The bureaucracy will always find a way to close ranks and protect itself...
    This was the real potential knockout blow to UNC

If SACCs had decided to sanction UNC- which really could have done for lack of attention to their courses- UNC would have lost all federal funding- including all research grants. The impact on UNC would have been significant- likely devastating. But this did not happen because UNC agreed to take action. They were very lucky.

I doubt the NCAA will take action on this- but you never know.

Pat Forde:

"If anything, the school should react on its own to this report. Don't wait for the NCAA to step in, do something yourself.

Now that UNC knows the independently reported facts, it can act. For years, its championship basketball teams were populated by players who benefitted from academic fraud – the 2005 national title team alone had 10 AFAM majors. If those titles were won with players who wouldn't have been eligible without sham grades, take down the banners yourself. Take the hardware out of the trophy cases. Wear your shame.

For a school that long proclaimed to be a special place, that would be a start on restoring its integrity."

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    So, what do we hear from the folks at State? Are they in seventh heaven or in the doldrums? I would guess the latter, since the report did not go far enough in their view. The Magic 8-ball says "try again."
    We are pretty happy.

We know its a whitewash. Dean Smith started it in response to K/Duke inning in 92/93. We know Roy knows and is dirty. We know athletics was intimately involved.

That said, there is more then enough raw meat to feed a pack of wolves,assuming the NCAA acts on it.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    This article seems to buy a good dose of the BS that UNC is honestly investigating and moving forward, etc.

They paid millions to a lawyer whose bio on the web states that he specializes in "white collar defense," hence the following article:
    /Are-any-Rich-White-Males-in-Trouble-yet?

Yes, they fessed up to a lot. Conveniently, Roy and the other coaches were exonerated more or less. You will see a lot of women administrators fired or demoted, maybe even a minority or two for diversity sakes, but no coaches it seems.

Here's the first one to go I have seen. Yes she is at UNCW now, but it's all one dysfunctional family at the HR level it seems.

How can anyone with a straight face believe that Roy is not involved? He has made so many statements over the years that the now exercised media and PP can cobble together to prove him a liar, he is surely studying the retirement plan in his contract.

The one thing Wainstein did do (maybe his conscience got to him) was to put a TON of raw material on the internet. There are a lot of emails released that must have been the ones UNC previously withheld from the N&O. Currently the PP boys are digging through them and finding various incriminating nuggets. From this material, they may be able to come up with the names of the 9 people under the bus by the end of the week. Boxill surely has to be near the top of the list.

Edit: Well Boxill is already gone as well. She used to be the "Director" on this page: https://parrcenter.unc.edu/people/staff-1 Now there is an assistant to the director, but no director.
    Last edited by BigWayne; 10-23-2014 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post

How can anyone with a straight face believe that Roy is not involved? He has made so many statements over the years that the now exercised media and PP can cobble together to prove him a liar, he is surely studying the retirement plan in his contract. ...
    Roy's an interesting topic. I'd like to know more about the guy he brought from Kansas. That said, it's clear over the years that Roy doesn't know what he's talking about, that he's full of puffery and nonsense and baloney ... so, yeah, he's a liar in the sense that he is not speaking the truth, and that is apparent when he opens his mouth (you don't need emails to prove it).

Lie #1: "Roy cares about academics."
    Lie #2: "Roy cares about academics" and turned a blind eye.
    Lie #3: "Roy cares about academics" and helped engineer the fraud via hires, willful ignorance, pressure on advisers ...

[First-person statements stated in the third-person for authenticity.]

Headline on the front page of the N&O this AM:

Fake-class scheme aided UNC players’ eligibility, Wainstein report says

And yes, it is a Dan Kane article with Jane Stancill.

And yes, the letters are about that big.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.