Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Figured this fit better here than other threads:

I was at the Smithfield outlet mall's Nike Store this evening, and found a Duke "storm gear" pullover (anticipating that with my usual luck, it's going to rain in Pittsburgh next weekend. )

Naturally, the guy behind the counter said that I should look for the Carolina version instead. I replied that I only shopped in the non-cheaters section of the store.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Well, look at it his way...there is definitely a storm coming in chapel hill.
    I'd think their version would have to be fireproof/flame retardant.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    one of my all time favorite lines from a movie went something like this...

"oh no sir, you haven't seen bad... but it's coming"
    Two of mine:

1. No Country for Old Men:

Deputy: "sure is a mess, ain't it?"
    Sheriff: "if this ain't a mess, it'll do until the mess gets here."

2. The Outlaw Josie Wales:

"Get ready, little lady. Hell is coming to breakfast."

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Well, look at it his way...there is definitely a storm coming in chapel hill.
    I'm not as worried about rain when I go to Chapel Hill. For that, I bought boots.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

Found the source. Here's the quote from the MSN story:
    This might be picking nits, and it's MSN that has their facts wrong here, but UNC does not have minors. God only knows why, but they don't.

They do award DOUBLE majors, but only with PRIOR departmental permission. They will deny you a double major even if you complete the course work, unless you have prior approval. And prior approval is not a technicality, and it can be denied on a whim.

No way in heel did anyone get a secondary degree in that cesspool by accident.

Of course, getting a degree without doing jack is perfectly fine...

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Breaking news, sort of... just watched Ol Roy on WRAL News in his post game presser after their exhibition game tonight. His mood was surprisingly upbeat and positive. He says and I quote "But I believe in this university. Nobody knows what's going to happen with the NCAA but I feel strongly, strongly, that we do things the right way.”

OMG... are you freaking kidding me? That's your stance on this Roy Williams? For real? You sir, should be fired immediately without receiving another single penny of salary money. As a lifetime resident of this fine state, and a taxpayer, I am appalled by both your actions since becoming head coach of this "great university" and your insane denial that led to your ridiculously ignorant answer to that question. My God man, do yourself and your family a huge favor and just quit now. Walk away and don't ever stand in front of a microphone again the rest of your life. You are an embarrassment to the State of North Carolina and to NCAA Men's Basketball. A sport most of us love and hold dear to our hearts.

Be gone and be never heard from again.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 10-25-2014 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Corrected the errors in the Roy Williams quote to be 100% accurate

Roy defends Wayne Walden as "one of the most ethical guys I've known in my life."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...c-fraud-report

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Two of mine:

One of my favorite movies lines is from "Christine".
    The guy is bringing his possessed 1958 Plymouth Fury to the garage and the attendant says:
    "You cant polish a turd". An old one but the 1st time I'd heard it used.... Kinda fits Chapel Hill right now too!

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Breaking news, sort of... just watched Ol Roy on WRAL News in his post game presser after their exhibition game tonight. His mood was surprisingly upbeat and positive. He says and I quote "I don't know what is going to happen with the NCAA and that stuff, but I believe in this great university, and I feel strongly, strongly, that we did things the right way"

OMG... are you freaking kidding me? That's your stance on this Roy Williams? For real? You sir, should be fired immediately without receiving another single penny of salary money.
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Roy defends Wayne Walden as "one of the most ethical guys I've known in my life."

I'm with you guys. It's pretty sad on their part. These cheaters want to protect those banners so badly. If they escape all this fraudulence and lies without at least the 2005 banner coming down, they will count it as a win. Please, NCAA, don't let UNC win in this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    One of my favorite movies lines is from "Christine".
    The guy is bringing his possessed 1958 Plymouth Fury to the garage and the attendant says:
    "You cant polish a turd". An old one but the 1st time I'd heard it used.... Kinda fits Chapel Hill right now too!

As I listened to Bubba on 99.9 this afternoon draw his defense around "the classes were accredited and we're confident of our accreditation process (you're kidding Bubba right?)" one of my favorite lines from M*A*S*H (TV) came to mind:

Hawkeye: "I think the general is trying to dump a lot of manure on this in hopes that something beautiful will grow."

Folt really needs to step in and tell Bubba to stop trying to call it a rose when everyone can plainly see it's a pile of sh!t. Does the man have a learning disability?

In Roy's case, that's probably true. One only needs to consider the source of this evaluation.

I wonder what it means when the email refers to bridges burned and bridges on fire. I assume that Swah is a Swahili class, but the rest may be outside AFAM
    My take on it is that the Burned Bridge (Education 441) is a class they used to be able to use to put players in as no show or charitable grading, but they pushed it too far and pissed off the professor.

The other classes listed as on fire must be ones they can get inflated grades for little or poor effort, but have been put on notice not to push any more players or ask for ridiculous favors. These being Portuguese 270 (Modern Brazilian Literature in English Translation ) and 275 (Portuguese and Brazilian Fiction in Translation ), i.e. foreign language department courses where you don't need to know the language. Also, they list the Naval Science, Exercise Science, and Swahili departments as their targets with no specific courses listed.

In his interview last night Roy essentially admits that he knew that kids were being steered into AFAM studies when he said that he wanted the kids to be able to pick their own major. He saw clustering and made the "assumption" (because of course he didn't know) that kids were being told to major there... so he got on his white horse and changed it...

So, let me get this straight... he could change things outside his department (what kids majored in), but he couldn't change things outside his department (kids taking fake classes)... this is all very confusing.

He also claims that he couldn't say anything about what was going on because it wasn't his job or responsibility... that he would have been ran/run off or something like that...

Really Roy? Are you saying that even if you strongly suspected academic fraud to the point it would impact your team's eligibility, you were helpless to stop it or even bring it up because you would make the professor's mad?

So the "mountain man" that grew up in the hills fighting his way through life now wants us to believe that he was paralyzed to do anything because he would anger a professor or two? I ain't buying it.

Roy is the King of wanting it both ways... he wants people to believe that he was powerless to stop this, yet at the same time he wants credit for stopping this and doing the right thing... he wants people to believe that he is this scrappy, feisty mountain man who doesn't back down, and yet he wasn't willing to go outside of his lane to prevent what he saw as inappropriate trends in majors by his players, not because it would jeopardize his job, but because he would have angered the academic folks!!... he is totally engaged in the kids academic choices (stop clustering-spread the majors around) yet he is clueless to the fraud that is taking place and the reason for the clustering... (btw Butch Davis says he figured this out in about 15 mins after getting to UNC yet Roy who spent YEARS there had no clue)

Gosh I hope their is someone in the media who is as put off by Roy's BS as I am...

Two of mine:

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    As I listened to Bubba on 99.9 this afternoon draw his defense around "the classes were accredited and we're confident of our accreditation process (you're kidding Bubba right?)" one of my favorite lines from M*A*S*H (TV) came to mind:

Hawkeye: "I think the general is trying to dump a lot of manure on this in hopes that something beautiful will grow."

Folt really needs to step in and tell Bubba to stop trying to call it a rose when everyone can plainly see it's a pile of sh!t. Does the man have a learning disability?
    Some good quotes and comments.

I'll add the comments from attorney Joseph Welch to disgraced Senator Joe McCarthy in the 1954 Army-McCarthy hearings:

...you've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?"

"If there is a God in heaven, it will do neither you nor your cause any good!"

The editor of the N&O praises Dan Kane:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/...ting.html?rh=1

A very worthwhile read.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    In his interview last night Roy essentially admits that he knew that kids were being steered into AFAM studies when he said that he wanted the kids to be able to pick their own major. He saw clustering and made the "assumption" (because of course he didn't know) that kids were being told to major there... so he got on his white horse and changed it...

So, let me get this straight... he could change things outside his department (what kids majored in), but he couldn't change things outside his department (kids taking fake classes)... this is all very confusing.

He also claims that he couldn't say anything about what was going on because it wasn't his job or responsibility... that he would have been ran/run off or something like that...

Really Roy? Are you saying that even if you strongly suspected academic fraud to the point it would impact your team's eligibility, you were helpless to stop it or even bring it up because you would make the professor's mad?

So the "mountain man" that grew up in the hills fighting his way through life now wants us to believe that he was paralyzed to do anything because he would anger a professor or two? I ain't buying it.

Roy is the King of wanting it both ways... he wants people to believe that he was powerless to stop this, yet at the same time he wants credit for stopping this and doing the right thing... he wants people to believe that he is this scrappy, feisty mountain man who doesn't back down, and yet he wasn't willing to go outside of his lane to prevent what he saw as inappropriate trends in majors by his players, not because it would jeopardize his job, but because he would have angered the academic folks!!... he is totally engaged in the kids academic choices (stop clustering-spread the majors around) yet he is clueless to the fraud that is taking place and the reason for the clustering... (btw Butch Davis says he figured this out in about 15 mins after getting to UNC yet Roy who spent YEARS there had no clue)

Gosh I hope their is someone in the media who is as put off by Roy's BS as I am...
    No, Roy and of course Dean have always been protected species in this state. Can't talk bad about em or you lose all credibility. As noted throughout this thread, Wainstein knew better than accuse Roy of direct knowledge. If had linked Roy to the fake classes, Holt, etc. would have then discredited the investigation. Recall that Roy trashed Willingham; where are the questions to Roy regarding those statements? Again, Kane stood up to all this, but he's about the only one in North Carolina. I have close relatives that are UNC grads, they will let the football team fail, but try to implicate Bball and/or Dean/Roy in all if this and all hell breaks loose. I think only Roy will decide his future, the rest of The Carolina Way crowd will give him a pass. This is just the way it is in North Carolina today.

More damning work from the N&O this am, this time from Jane Stancill:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/...t-enabled.html

Another good read.

Andrew Carter continues here with the "aw, shucks" article about "ol' Huck," this one from the sports section in the N&O this am:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/.../99/100/&ihp=1

Put yer boots on before reading this one.

At least I have a good Halloween costume this year.

bookcostume.jpg

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    More damning work from the N&O this am, this time from Jane Stancill:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/...t-enabled.html

Another good read.
    This article reads like the N&O is buying the CH party line. Most of the media reports I've seen and read are highly sceptical that the fraud ended with JN and Crowder. Will Folt sacrifice a faculty member or high level administrator in an attempt to sell outsiders that UNC is serious? Boxill is the obvious candidate but she is still a listed faculty member, and there are no stories indicating she is getting fired. Shamefiul.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    No, Roy and of course Dean have always been protected species in this state. Can't talk bad about em or you lose all credibility. As noted throughout this thread, Wainstein knew better than accuse Roy of direct knowledge. If had linked Roy to the fake classes, Holt, etc. would have then discredited the investigation. Recall that Roy trashed Willingham; where are the questions to Roy regarding those statements? Again, Kane stood up to all this, but he's about the only one in North Carolina. I have close relatives that are UNC grads, they will let the football team fail, but try to implicate Bball and/or Dean/Roy in all if this and all hell breaks loose. I think only Roy will decide his future, the rest of The Carolina Way crowd will give him a pass. This is just the way it is in North Carolina today.
    Roy is basically saying he had no idea that anything was wrong (suspect academics), so he stopped it (the clustering)... ??? I'm dumbfounded, good thing I saw this coming and took action... ???

Maybe I am just misinterpreting his comments... but if I'm not, then it is mind boggling to me that the media would sit back and listen to this without throwing a BS flag or two...