Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    With each powerpoint slide and email I see, I am just flabbergasted. I'm not sure how anyone can conclude there is even a touch of whitewash here. I know they were careful about implicating coaches but it seems sure to ultimately be revealed. Especially with emails to Wayen Walden. It'll just take a little time. This is so insane it's almost hard to believe.
    You can say it's a whitewash because

a) No coaches were implicated in the report.
    b) No high level administrators were implicated in the report.
    c) No other departments were implicated in the report.

We all know that the coaches knew, we know that high level administrators knew and we know this goes beyond just two people in AFAM. Which means it also goes beyond the 1,500 athletes in this report. Basically, I think this scandal goes far deeper and wider than what is in this report. Wainstein stopped at the AFAM department. He didn't follow any leads into PHIL, DRAMA, COM, XSS and other departments that are clearly laid out in various emails. That is the whitewash.

Maybe a whitewash isn't the correct term, how about this is just the tip of the iceberg?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Like I said in an earlier post, that's the tacit agreement you make when dealing with the press. You have two options:

(1) You can say, "No comment," or something similar but wishy-washier like, "We're unable to comment at this time" or "We're withholding comment until all the facts are known." The reporter then will go forward with whatever information he has.

OR

(2) You can comment and try to get your side of the story out there. But if you comment, you'd better not lie or jerk the press around, because if you do, they'll make sure that the coverage is 1,000 times worse than if you'd just kept your mouth shut.

UNC took Door No. 2, then tried for years to snow the press. Looking back at that strategy now, this comes to mind.
    Well played. I think this is what they were going for, but it didn't quite work

I guess I shouldn't hold my breath for a 30-for-30 special from ESPN on this anytime soon either, right? Now if it was Duke instead of UNC...
    Last edited by _Gary; 10-24-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I guess I shouldn't hold my breath for a 30-30 special from ESPN on this anytime soon either, right? Now if it was Duke instead of UNC...
    Or perhaps a Dirty-30... 9 down, 21 to go...
    Last edited by martydoesntfoul; 10-24-2014 at 05:34 PM.

The most shocking thing to me so far may be this latest story about Boxill frauding the Pell grant system (see the emails in a previous post on this thread). Are you kidding me? This should be a federal crime! And I want my NC state tax money back that went to this sham!

Pat Kennedy fingers Dean

Did y'all read the new front page article regarding Pat Kennedy? Damn, Dean's been called out big-time. The whole empire is crumbling!

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...n-smith-in-unc

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Did y'all read the new front page article regarding Pat Kennedy? Damn, Dean's been called out big-time. The whole empire is crumbling!

When I read the scandal began in 1993, one of the first things that occurs to me is Duke winning national championships in 1991 and 1992, and just how much that must have bothered Dean. Easy to imagine Dean either instigating or blessing some of these schemes. But not leaving fingerprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Piggybacking on Mal's earlier post listing ideas for signs and chants to be used in Wally Wade and Cameron, how about just making up a bunch of poster-sized blowups of that PowerPoint slide? Probably would work better in Cameron -- the visual effect would be much more in-your-face there.
    Someone could just make a poster of a picture of a newly created PowerPoint. In fact, I did just that but I can't get the screen grab to upload. Anyway, here's how the new PowerPoint should read:

* Men's Basketball 2005 and 2009 National Championships

- obtained by large scale academic fraud
    - THESE NO LONGER EXIST

So what are chances JJ becomes acc leading scorer again after wins are vacated?

Post Asheville Citizen-Times Article

Just saw this editorial in my local paper by Keith Jarrett, the sports editor:

Making a wrong turn on the Carolina Way

As you all know, Asheville is Ol' Roy's hometown and I've always considered Jarrett a Williams apologist. This time, however, he pulls no punches. You should read the editorial, but a here few quotes pulled for your perusal:

After two dog-and-pony shows failed to find a link between academic and athletic fraud - and isn't it frightening that one of the investigations that produced that level of cluelessness was headed by a former governor? - a thorough review of the mess revealed that athletic advisers and others were involved in the scheme.

For 18 years, the see-no-evil, hear-no-evil monkeys appeared to be the models for academic and athletic officials' integrity, and that the eligibility of ballplayers was much more important that providing an education.
    In Williams' first eight years (until 2011, when the jig was exposed and stopped), his players had 167 enrollments, more than 20 per year.

When Williams arrived, five players on his first team were majoring in African-American studies. The next season, his first national title squad had 10 AFAM majors.
    "The Carolina Way" used to stand for academic integrity - now it is a punch line.
    I had to stop myself from including more from the article; I'm still a bit surprised that Jarrett is so blunt.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post

New target classes set up by the advisers, but apparently in danger of being unavailable:

Attachment 4408
    I wonder what it means when the email refers to bridges burned and bridges on fire. I assume that Swah is a Swahili class, but the rest may be outside AFAM

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    You can say it's a whitewash because

a) No coaches were implicated in the report.
    b) No high level administrators were implicated in the report.
    c) No other departments were implicated in the report.

We all know that the coaches knew, we know that high level administrators knew and we know this goes beyond just two people in AFAM. Which means it also goes beyond the 1,500 athletes in this report. Basically, I think this scandal goes far deeper and wider than what is in this report. Wainstein stopped at the AFAM department. He didn't follow any leads into PHIL, DRAMA, COM, XSS and other departments that are clearly laid out in various emails. That is the whitewash.

Maybe a whitewash isn't the correct term, how about this is just the tip of the iceberg?
    Yes. Agreed. It's just so ridiculously blatant. I think Wainstein did just enough to allow someone else to come in and get their hands really bloody without him having to do it himself. There's just no way all this stuff can be ignored.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

How to hit Holes harder?

If someone can investigate the financial status of people who got involved in this scandal, everyone will be shocked much more. I personally do not believe Crowder had never financially benefited from her role.

Duke Putdown by Pat Kennedy

Back-of-the-hand compiiment quoted on our own Front Page:

Pat Kennedy said "Gary Williams will tell you this, most of the coaches in the ACC felt that Carolina was a fraud in that they walked around like they were Stanford or Vanderbilt or Northwestern, but they weren't, they were not even Duke."
    Just proves that we can take it.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Yes. Agreed. It's just so ridiculously blatant. I think Wainstein did just enough to allow someone else to come in and get their hands really bloody without him having to do it himself. There's just no way all this stuff can be ignored.
    Well, with the report, he included a number of Exhibits and a ton of Supplementary documents

There is ample material for further investigation and connecting the dots.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Figured this fit better here than other threads:

I was at the Smithfield outlet mall's Nike Store this evening, and found a Duke "storm gear" pullover (anticipating that with my usual luck, it's going to rain in Pittsburgh next weekend. )

Naturally, the guy behind the counter said that I should look for the Carolina version instead. I replied that I only shopped in the non-cheaters section of the store.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Figured this fit better here than other threads:

I was at the Smithfield outlet mall's Nike Store this evening, and found a Duke "storm gear" pullover (anticipating that with my usual luck, it's going to rain in Pittsburgh next weekend. )

Naturally, the guy behind the counter said that I should look for the Carolina version instead. I replied that I only shopped in the non-cheaters section of the store.
    Well, look at it his way...there is definitely a storm coming in chapel hill.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    one of my all time favorite lines from a movie went something like this...

"oh no sir, you haven't seen bad... but it's coming"

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Some folks carry around a self-made storm cloud everywhere they go. It's the new Carolina Way.

eeyore-1.jpg

Poor Roy. And such a nice ribbon on his tail too.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Back-of-the-hand compiiment quoted on our own Front Page:

Just proves that we can take it.
    Wait. He's back-hand slapping us up side the head? He must have forgotten about this one:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/07/sp...ll/07ncaa.html
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.