The Irish are coming -- in 2019

The ACC just announced future Notre Dame-ACC football matchups through 2005.

Duke will play at Notre Dame in 2016 and in 2020. Notre Dame will play at Duke in 2019 and 2023.

Here's the complete lineup:

1. Notre Dame vs. Syracuse (MetLife Stadium), 9/27*

2. North Carolina at Notre Dame, 10/11

3. Notre Dame at Florida State, 10/18

4. Louisville at Notre Dame, 11/22

1. Notre Dame at Virginia, 9/12

2. Georgia Tech at Notre Dame, 9/19

3. Notre Dame at Clemson, 10/3

4. Notre Dame at Pitt, 11/7

5. Wake Forest at Notre Dame, 11/14

6. Notre Dame vs. Boston College (Fenway Park), 11/21@

1. Duke at Notre Dame, 9/24

2. Notre Dame vs. Syracuse (MetLife Stadium), 10/1*

3. Notre Dame at NC State, 10/8

4. Miami at Notre Dame, 10/29

5. Virginia Tech at Notre Dame, 11/19

1. Notre Dame at Boston College, 9/16

2. Notre Dame at North Carolina, 10/07

3. NC State at Notre Dame, 10/28

4. Wake Forest at Notre Dame, 11/04

5. Notre Dame at Miami, 11/11

1. Syracuse at Notre Dame, 9/22

2. Notre Dame at Virginia Tech, 10/13

3. Pittsburgh at Notre Dame, 10/20

4. Florida State at Notre Dame, 11/10

5. Notre Dame at Wake Forest, 11/17

1. Notre Dame at Louisville, 9/2 (Labor Day)

2. Virginia at Notre Dame, 9/28

3. Notre Dame at Georgia Tech, 10/19

4. Virginia Tech at Notre Dame, 11/02

5. Notre Dame at Duke, 11/09

6. Boston College at Notre Dame, 11/23

1. Notre Dame at Wake Forest

2. Notre Dame at Pittsburgh

3. Duke at Notre Dame

4. Clemson at Notre Dame

5. Louisville at Notre Dame

1. Notre Dame at Florida State, 9/6 (Labor Day)

2. Notre Dame at Virginia Tech

3. North Carolina at Notre Dame

4. Notre Dame at Virginia

5. Georgia Tech at Notre Dame

1. Notre Dame at North Carolina

2. Notre Dame at Syracuse

3. Boston College at Notre Dame

4. Clemson at Notre Dame

1. Notre Dame at NC State

2. Notre Dame at Duke

3. Notre Dame at Louisville

4. Wake Forest at Notre Dame

5. Notre Dame at Clemson

6. Pittsburgh at Notre Dame

1. Miami at Notre Dame

2. Notre Dame at Georgia Tech

3. Florida State at Notre Dame

4. Virginia at Notre Dame

1. Notre Dame at Miami

2. NC State at Notre Dame

3. Notre Dame at Boston College

4. Notre Dame at Pittsburgh

5. Syracuse at Notre Dame

* -Designated ‘home’ game for Syracuse

@ - Designated ‘home’ game for Notre Dame

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    6. Notre Dame vs. Boston College (Fenway Park), 11/21@
    That should be pretty cool. First football game at Fenway since 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post

That should be pretty cool. First football game at Fenway since 1968.

I have to admit, I don't get the appeal that seems to have re-emerged in recent years of shoehorning football games into baseball-only stadiums -- especially older stadiums with tight, asymmetrical layouts. Remember a couple of years ago when Northwestern hosted a game at Wrigley Field, and space was so tight that they had to mount one set of goalposts to the right field wall? This also meant that a player whose momentum carried him out of the back of that end zone immediately would crash into a brick wall (which I think they put some padding on, but still...). Am I the only one who finds this....odd?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    I have to admit, I don't get the appeal that seems to have re-emerged in recent years of shoehorning football games into baseball-only stadiums -- especially older stadiums with tight, asymmetrical layouts. Remember a couple of years ago when Northwestern hosted a game at Wrigley Field, and space was so tight that they had to mount one set of goalposts to the right field wall? This also meant that a player whose momentum carried him out of the back of that end zone immediately would crash into a brick wall (which I think they put some padding on, but still...). Am I the only one who finds this....odd?
    I think I remember reading that in some layout--Yankee Stadium, perhaps--the team with the ball was always going to be going in the same direction, because there wasn't enough room for drives in both directions, including the need for space past the end line.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I think I remember reading that in some layout--Yankee Stadium, perhaps--the team with the ball was always going to be going in the same direction, because there wasn't enough room for drives in both directions, including the need for space past the end line.
    That was the Northwestern-Illinois game at Wrigley Field in 2010. It was a circus.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    That was the Northwestern game at Wrigley. No one ever figured out what to do if there was a interception returned for a touchdown, but the pick-six in the game took place without incident.

I am sure this has been answered but what is the financial benefit to ND joining the ACC? I did a quick search and could not find anything ( I admit I did not look that deeply). I saw where the ratings for the FSU/ND game were excellent. Does that benefit the ACC in any way when negotiating future TV deals? Or is that so far in advance that it does not matter. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    I am sure this has been answered but what is the financial benefit to ND joining the ACC? I did a quick search and could not find anything ( I admit I did not look that deeply). I saw where the ratings for the FSU/ND game were excellent. Does that benefit the ACC in any way when negotiating future TV deals? Or is that so far in advance that it does not matter. Thanks in advance.
    It allowed the ACC to renegotiate the current deal with ESPN, boosting the annual payout to each school.

Between the Baylor home-and-home series and the Notre Dame games, that's six games scheduled against teams that have had significant success in recent years. Should provide some resume enhancing opportunities.

It allowed the ACC to renegotiate the current deal with ESPN, boosting the annual payout to each school.
    ND also has very good basketball and Olympic sports, plus a good educational reputation and a national fan base footprint. I am sure the hope is that ND will join in football eventually; not sure if that is realistic or not.

ND home games are covered under their contract with NBC. Away games are covered by the contracts of the home team, in this case the ACC contracts with ESPN. The original ND/NBC contract split the money with the visiting teams 50/50. Not sure if that is still the deal. ND may negotiate each game separately.

ND at Duke and Wake

Is there any coincidence that the ND away games at Wake and at Duke are 2018 and 2019? With a cursory glance, it would appear that these teams are last (or nearly last) to host the Irish.

Assuming ND will sell out wherever they play, this delays the smaller gate...or given the pace of change in the modern game, perhaps we will see a "new" game rotation before the Duke/Wake game take place?

Quote Originally Posted by Atldukie79 View Post
    Is there any coincidence that the ND away games at Wake and at Duke are 2018 and 2019? With a cursory glance, it would appear that these teams are last (or nearly last) to host the Irish.

Assuming ND will sell out wherever they play, this delays the smaller gate...or given the pace of change in the modern game, perhaps we will see a "new" game rotation before the Duke/Wake game take place?
    Good observation! I doubt the timing is a coincidence. Hopefully Swofford let's us host the Irish and doesn't "tweak" the system under ND pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Am I the only one who finds this....odd?
    I agree. College football, on average, has the best home games and atmosphere of any sport. One of the many things wrong with the bowl system is how it wastes this advantage. Things like Florida-Georgia in Jacksonville can be fun, but I'm not a fan of the semi-home/semi-away type games in either college football or basketball, where one team travels to another team's metro area and then plays somewhere other than the latter team's home stadium/arena.

Here come the Irish!

Excited to see that not only will my almae matres go head to head, but the result might very well be a tossup, as well! Kudos to Coach Cut and the guys for putting in me in the situation to suffer such heartburn. Welcome, good news after the heartbreak for ND in Tallahassee.

Also, nitpick with the thread title - so close, yet so far. The Irish are not redcoats

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDevil View Post
    Excited to see that not only will my almae matres go head to head, but the result might very well be a tossup, as well! Kudos to Coach Cut and the guys for putting in me in the situation to suffer such heartburn. Welcome, good news after the heartbreak for ND in Tallahassee.

Also, nitpick with the thread title - so close, yet so far. The Irish are not redcoats
    One if by land.
    Two if by sea.
    Three if by Rivers.

Oh, wait. Wrong sport.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Between the Baylor home-and-home series and the Notre Dame games, that's six games scheduled against teams that have had significant success in recent years. Should provide some resume enhancing opportunities.
    I sure hope Baylor can keep it up and not pull a Kansas. If Briles stays there they probably will. But with Kansas it was like hey, we tried scheduling a decent non-conference P5 opponent but it's not our fault they turned into the worst FBS school in the meantime.