Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Kidd compares Jabari to Grant
    http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2014/10...ackage-player/

“Everyone will talk about his scoring, his athletic ability, but what I like is that he tries to make the right plays to his teammates,” Kidd said. “He passes the ball, it’s not all about scoring. He wants to win. He cheers his teammates on. That’s kind of cool to see when you’re 19 years old and you have a lot of people asking you to do different things. He’s all about doing his job, and that’s getting better.”

Attention Duke big-men: If you want to play in the NBA...

...grow out your facial hair.

McBoB, Shavlik Randolph, and Miles Plumlee are all rocking the beard.

Okay, McBoB kinda looks like a homeless man.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

As long as he doesn't look like he lives in a van down by the river, I would guess he'll be fine.

tumblr_mn7w0nB9E31sogz7po1_400.jpg

This thread is useless without pictures.

Last edited by JasonEvans; 10-22-2014 at 01:44 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDevil View Post
    As long as he doesn't look like he lives in a van down by the river, I would guess he'll be fine.

tumblr_mn7w0nB9E31sogz7po1_400.jpg
    I can't see. Is that Bill Shakespeare over there?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This thread is useless without pictures.

Wow. Boozer is also rocking the beard. True statement.

In terms of cleanliness on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being a count in th 1800s and 1 being a Russian villian), the beards are as follows:

Boozer: 10
    Plumdog Millionaire: 9
    Randolph: 7
    McBoB: -2.1
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

So I got into an argument with a co-worker while we were having drinks over who will be better this year between Damian Lillard and Kyrie Irving. This ended up turning into a $50 wager over who posts the higher PER this season. (Thank goodness PER basically ignores defense)

I'm was fairly confident about the bet at the time, but the addition of 2 superstars could cause a pretty major dip in usage for Kyrie . . . but I still got this bet in the bag, right? Irving's PERs over the last 3 years were 21, 20, and 20. Lillard posted a 16 as a rookie and then 18 this past year. ESPN rates Kyrie as the #23 player in the NBA, and Lillard hasn't been listed yet, meaning he's in the top 18 on ESPN's list. Kyrie's 2 years younger though, he definitely still has room to grow. Lillard is 24, he's pretty much almost at his prime.

Good or bad bet?

Wow. Boozer is also rocking the beard. True statement.

In terms of cleanliness on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being a count in th 1800s and 1 being a Russian villian), the beards are as follows:

Boozer: 10
    Plumdog Millionaire: 9
    Randolph: 7
    McBoB: -2.1
    Boozer has had his for a few years, perhaps trying to make up in facial hair what he's lost in lift and effectiveness near the basket. I say this as a Bulls season ticket holder.

When the Bulls were playing the Bobcats last year, my wife referred to McBob's look as "later Jesus", as he was sporting shoulder length hair in addition to the motley beard.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    So I got into an argument with a co-worker while we were having drinks over who will be better this year between Damian Lillard and Kyrie Irving. This ended up turning into a $50 wager over who posts the higher PER this season. (Thank goodness PER basically ignores defense)

I'm was fairly confident about the bet at the time, but the addition of 2 superstars could cause a pretty major dip in usage for Kyrie . . . but I still got this bet in the bag, right? Irving's PERs over the last 3 years were 21, 20, and 20. Lillard posted a 16 as a rookie and then 18 this past year. ESPN rates Kyrie as the #23 player in the NBA, and Lillard hasn't been listed yet, meaning he's in the top 18 on ESPN's list. Kyrie's 2 years younger though, he definitely still has room to grow. Lillard is 24, he's pretty much almost at his prime.

Good or bad bet?
    Lillard's D is very comparable with Kyrie's D.

Good bet. Lillard's FG% will not be as good as Kyrie's. Not because Lillard is a worse shooter but rather because of LBJ. If Kyrie focuses, he can join the rare 50/40/90 club. That would be nasty.

Good or bad bet?
    This writer makes the case that PER and usage rate have a relationship

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2013/...s-heat-thunder

The presence of Lebron makes me think Kyrie's usage rate will go down. I think you may be sweating this one out a little, but it will be fun to watch.

Good or bad bet?
    Irving's count stats should go down but his efficiency should go up (assuming he buys into his role and doesn't try to force it).

I don't think PER is the best measure of performance, but there is a good chance you win this bet based on PER.

Good or bad bet?
    Great bet! Kyrie's the best PG in the league next to Chris Paul, so you have no worries. It's not even that close with him and Lillard. He'll shine just like he did this summer. Count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Great bet! Kyrie's the best PG in the league next to Chris Paul, so you have no worries. It's not even that close with him and Lillard. He'll shine just like he did this summer. Count on it.
    I'm gonna disagree with the bolded part. Along with Paul, I'd put Parker, Westbrook, Curry, Wall, and a healthy and rust-free Rose over Irving (Rose torched him the other night for example). I might even take Lillard over Irving too. And I'd put guys like Lowry, Thomas, and Conley in the discussion with Irving as well.

Irving still has a lot to prove, in my opinion. His defense is among the worst in the NBA. He is fantastic against lesser players (as evidenced by his dominant play against the overmatched guards at the FIBA World Cup). But that hasn't translated (yet) to his matchups against the NBA's best.

Maybe he makes the jump this year. As a Duke guy, I hope he does (though as a Chicago guy, I'm okay if he doesn't ). But I think it's way premature to call Irving the second-best PG in the NBA right now.

I expect Irving and the Cavs to have a great year, thanks in large part to the addition of James and Love to take the pressure off of him. But when he faces the top PGs, I won't be shocked if he struggles as he has in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I'm gonna disagree with the bolded part. Along with Paul, I'd put Parker, Westbrook, Curry, Wall, and a healthy and rust-free Rose over Irving (Rose torched him the other night for example). I might even take Lillard over Irving too. And I'd put guys like Lowry, Thomas, and Conley in the discussion with Irving as well.

Irving still has a lot to prove, in my opinion. His defense is among the worst in the NBA. He is fantastic against lesser players (as evidenced by his dominant play against the overmatched guards at the FIBA World Cup). But that hasn't translated (yet) to his matchups against the NBA's best.

Maybe he makes the jump this year. As a Duke guy, I hope he does (though as a Chicago guy, I'm okay if he doesn't ). But I think it's way premature to call Irving the second-best PG in the NBA right now.

I expect Irving and the Cavs to have a great year, thanks in large part to the addition of James and Love to take the pressure off of him. But when he faces the top PGs, I won't be shocked if he struggles as he has in the past.
    We will have to agree to disagree. I think Kyrie is going to keep getting better on the defensive end (he was solid during the World Cup), although there's no denying that has been a weak spot. I know guys like Rose can bully their way through him, but then again that's 90% of what Rose does anyhow. Without his bully-drive to the right he's got very little else on the offensive end, so I'm not going to judge Kyrie's ability to defend on Monday night's game (which I watched in its entirety). And for the record, I think Rose was clearly more amped up for that game than Kyrie was and I don't think he's going to duplicate that performance on a nightly basis - especially shooting from deep. But regardless, I'll take Kyrie and what he can offer, in particular his ability to take over in the 4th quarter and hit big shots in the clutch, over the other guys you mentioned, minus Chris Paul. Parker's not getting any younger, Westbrook is inconsistent and can be a ball hog deluxe, Curry is a great shooter but his defense in the World Cup was much worse than Kyrie's, Wall simply isn't close, and Rose is somewhat one-dimensional on the offensive end.

I'm looking forward to Kyrie proving a lot of people wrong this season. The only legit concern with him is injuries. That is something to worry about and if he's injured significantly again this year then much of what I've written has to be scaled back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    We will have to agree to disagree. I think Kyrie is going to keep getting better on the defensive end (he was solid during the World Cup), although there's no denying that has been a weak spot. I know guys like Rose can bully their way through him, but then again that's 90% of what Rose does anyhow. Without his bully-drive to the right he's got very little else on the offensive end, so I'm not going to judge Kyrie's ability to defend on Monday night's game (which I watched in its entirety). And for the record, I think Rose was clearly more amped up for that game than Kyrie was and I don't think he's going to duplicate that performance on a nightly basis - especially shooting from deep. But regardless, I'll take Kyrie and what he can offer, in particular his ability to take over in the 4th quarter and hit big shots in the clutch, over the other guys you mentioned, minus Chris Paul. Parker's not getting any younger, Westbrook is inconsistent and can be a ball hog deluxe, Curry is a great shooter but his defense in the World Cup was much worse than Kyrie's, Wall simply isn't close, and Rose is somewhat one-dimensional on the offensive end.

I'm looking forward to Kyrie proving a lot of people wrong this season. The only legit concern with him is injuries. That is something to worry about and if he's injured significantly again this year then much of what I've written has to be scaled back.
    Yep, we'll have to agree to disagree on pretty much all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yep, we'll have to agree to disagree on pretty much all of this.
    I figured as much. No problems, buddy.

Speaking of Mr. Irving, I just had to link this sweet between-the-legs pass to Kevin Love.

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/FB8...8576543289.mp4

-Jason "Kyrie could really pile up the assists this year with KLove and LBJ on the break with him" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Dawkins

The Heat just made some more cuts and are down to 16 players. Andre made the almost final 16 so it would seem that tommorows game is pretty much the biggest game of his life. http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#secti.../p2p-81757942/ This is the link to the story, the other player on the chopping block is a center with some upside. So it will come down to what Spo feels like he needs more, a shooter or a big man. Many of the pundits here in South Florida feel like he will go with a big man. However, I think they need shooting more as they have been more than awful all preseason from three. As a partial season ticket holder via the All You Can Heat package, Im hoping he makes the squad and I can cheer for a team with three Dukies on it.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    The Heat just made some more cuts and are down to 16 players. Andre made the almost final 16 so it would seem that tommorows game is pretty much the biggest game of his life. http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#secti.../p2p-81757942/ This is the link to the story, the other player on the chopping block is a center with some upside. So it will come down to what Spo feels like he needs more, a shooter or a big man. Many of the pundits here in South Florida feel like he will go with a big man. However, I think they need shooting more as they have been more than awful all preseason from three. As a partial season ticket holder via the All You Can Heat package, Im hoping he makes the squad and I can cheer for a team with three Dukies on it.
    The Heat cut Larry Drew? What are they thinking?!?

It's funny, with Travis Wear hanging out with the Knicks, I find myself rooting for a former Heel turned Bruin. It's always hard to reconcile those pro allegiances with college grudges as I've found myself rooting for Ray Felton, Hubert Davis and others over the years.

Go Dre!!!! Surely the Arison/Duke connection will have some influence?

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    I think it is important to note that the Heat don't actually have to carry 15 players. They have to carry at least 13, and most teams carry 14 or 15. But not every team carries 15 players (usually for financial/cap reasons). So it is possible (though definitely not a given) that both Birch and Dawkins get cut. But regardless, the bolded part above is almost certainly true. Best of luck to Dawkins. Could he be the next Anthony Morrow (guy who wasn't consistently an impact player in college but made it in the NBA thanks to a translatable skill)?