Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    The utterly boneheaded preseason ranking of UNC has precisely nothing to do with how justified (or not) our current ranking is.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    explain to me how UNC earned a preseason top 25 ranking and we didn't?
    Lazy journalism; rankings based on perceived strength of recruiting; UNC starting poorly (again) under Fedora; and us generally sucking for two decades before Cut came.

We could win the Coastal again this year, and there will be folks who pick us in the bottom third again next year. And as KL suggests, a good bit of that is homerism.

UNC was clearly picked too high, but they have a lot of talent and are better than their record indicates IMO. They are a dangerous team.

We are probably too low, but we have no one to blame but ourselves given the poor performance we had in prime time against Miami. A solid win next week might change that perception too.

Rankings are nice, but our record is more important. Just win, and let everything else take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Lazy journalism; rankings based on perceived strength of recruiting; UNC starting poorly (again) under Fedora; and us generally sucking for two decades before Cut came.

We could win the Coastal again this year, and there will be folks who pick us in the bottom third again next year. And as KL suggests, a good bit of that is homerism.

UNC was clearly picked too high, but they have a lot of talent and are better than their record indicates IMO. They are a dangerous team.

We are probably too low, but we have no one to blame but ourselves given the poor performance we had in prime time against Miami. A solid win next week might change that perception too.

Rankings are nice, but our record is more important. Just win, and let everything else take care of itself.
    splendid summary; I agree with every point. Winning will take care of any inequity. Would also add we had a weak early schedule (which I think is a good idea)...

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    This is one way to get on television. Future Notre Dame-ACC matchups announced.
    Yeah, but now someone will start complaining that the NBC broadcasts in 2016 and 2020 appear biased against Duke.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Last ones we'll be serving this year; I was up til 12:30am making those things! (Although they did a nice job of disappearing.)
    Back to the more important food issue: do you make the burritos up ahead of time, or just bring the filling and everyone makes them up there? I can see the advantages of both . . .

Success and eyeballs go hand in hand (hmmm. not sure about that metaphor), but Duke hoops is constantly on tv mainly because we have been the country's favorite basketball team every year for the past 5 years. And, for reference sake, we were also the country's favorite in 1993, 2003, and 2007 (the other years aren't listed): http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...rris-Poll.aspx.

I agree that football's empty seats are a problem: the intensity of Cameron makes casual fans more likely to want to see the game on tv, I'd think, and actually make the exact same game more exciting. Lots of the big state schools are having attendance problems as well, but it's good theater to show tv games with a backdrop of 100,000 Michigan faithful rather a smallish crowd on the visitor side of WW. And it also didn't help that our marquee game of the year so far was our worst-played game (aided by it being one of Miami's best games). If, instead, our 2014 early-season marquee game had been last year's A&M game or the first half of the FSU game, we'd be on the list for ABC games and not shifting between ESPNU and ACC networks.

Nevertheless, the trajectory of the wins, fan support, and tv exposure are all astonishing, and I don't think we need to get overly bummed out. Build it, and they will come...

If you were hoping that the Virginia Tech game would avoid a noon kickoff, you can probably stop doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    He had a lot of assistants (assistance, too). And I mean A LOT. BTW, where were you? You could have helped us.
    Maybe, just maybe, I hope to have some Cold Mountain brew for the burritos for my food contribution. If not, at least a growler from One World Brewing---an incredible Saison (out of season, but too good to pass up) or an Imperial Stout.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, I hope to have some Cold Mountain brew for the burritos for my food contribution. If not, at least a growler from One World Brewing---an incredible Saison (out of season, but too good to pass up) or an Imperial Stout.

ricks
    You'll be greeted with highly appreciative open arms and open mouths.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Back to the more important food issue: do you make the burritos up ahead of time, or just bring the filling and everyone makes them up there? I can see the advantages of both . . .
    I made them the night before. Serving 100 people "short order cook" style would have been a nightmare. I used 54 eggs, 8 pounds of sausage, 8 pounds of shredded cheese (in the stuffing), 2 onions and 3 green peppers. I made 80 burritos, using the large tortillas. They were all topped with salsa and more cheese, and heated in pans on our grill. Eight 10 x 13 pans held 10 burritos each.

I also made 64 stuffed tomatoes. These are popular, but also time consuming. Core out a tomato (buy them in 4 packs for easy transport) and stuff them with...stuffing! One pat of butter on the bottom, one on top, and after about 45 minutes on the grill top them with shredded cheese.
    StuffedMater.jpg
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 10-24-2014 at 08:35 AM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I made them the night before. Serving 100 people "short order cook" style would have been a nightmare. I used 54 eggs, 8 pounds of sausage, 8 pounds of shredded cheese (in the stuffing), 2 onions and 3 green peppers. I made 80 burritos, using the large tortillas. They were all topped with salsa and more cheese, and heated in pans on our grill. Eight 10 x 13 pans held 10 burritos each.

I also made 64 stuffed tomatoes. These are popular, but also time consuming. Core out a tomato (buy them in 4 packs for easy transport) and stuff them with...stuffing! One pat of butter on the bottom, one on top, and after about 45 minutes on the grill top them with shredded cheese.
    StuffedMater.jpg
    And he's not just blowing charcoal smoke up your trousers, either. Both items described above were very, very good.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    We all knew it was coming, but it's now official.
    We'll be hosting the Turkey Bowl at noon on the 15th, ESPNU.
    Bright side, Pitt's Conner will be running all over the UNC defense at 12:30.

http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail...-15-11-03-2014
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Makes sense to me. Above Pitt-UNC and NCSU-Wake in the pecking order, below GT-Clemson and FSU-Miami. Both of those games involve two upper tier teams. Ours only has one.

Since we've got a short turnaround with the N. Carolina game Thursday the 20th, the earliest possible start for the Va Tech game is probably better for the team.

Have they moved the UNC game at Duke to Thursday at noon yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Since we've got a short turnaround with the N. Carolina game Thursday the 20th, the earliest possible start for the Va Tech game is probably better for the team.
    Another reason to accept the disappointing noon starting time on the 15th: We have a home basketball game with Fairfield at 8 pm

A prime time game would be impossible -- even a 3:30 pm game would have created major parting problems.

I can promise you that a noon start has to please the folks in the athletic and safety departments who struggle with traffic on the easiest of occasions.
    If we had a 3:30 football game (which wouldn't end until around 7) the overlap with the 8pm hoop game would have created some serious problems.
    Perhaps it shouldn't be that way, but it is. Traffic control has been much improved over the past several seasons, but is still mediocre to poor. I (somewhat) fondly
    recall decades ago when NC state cops handled traffic, and they were organized and efficient. The current Duke folks are well intentioned but do some
    hopelessly inane things.

I think national TV at noon works out well for us, anyway. Obviously the Miami-Florida Penal Colony game deserves the night slot...maybe I'm alone, but I think the noon
    slot gives us arguably more visibility than competing with a number of high profile 3:30 games....I went to a party on Saturday and a number of people told me they saw part
    of our game or saw the highlights during other games...

Another reason to accept the disappointing noon starting time on the 15th: We have a home basketball game with Fairfield at 8 pm

A prime time game would be impossible -- even a 3:30 pm game would have created major parting problems.
    A prime-time game would have been possible; they just would have moved the basketball game start time.

All of this is true. I'm going to make a prediction and all y'all can laugh at it now.

The day is coming when there will be more scheduling conflicts between football and men's basketball. At some point the shift is going to be toward the priority being when the football game is to start. This may be like plate tectonics to some, but that is what the future holds for the months of November and December.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    All of this is true. I'm going to make a prediction and all y'all can laugh at it now.

The day is coming when there will be more scheduling conflicts between football and men's basketball. At some point the shift is going to be toward the priority being when the football game is to start. This may be like plate tectonics to some, but that is what the future holds for the months of November and December.
    That time was three months ago - the Fairfield game is untelevised because of the need to maintain flexibility for the football game.