Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Duke STILL at the bottom of the TV barrel

Game times set for Saturday, Nov. 1 --

For the third time in a row, Duke gets a noon start. At least Duke-Pitt makes ESPNU instead of the ACC network.

There is no prime time ACC game that Saturday. But the "prime" ACC game at 3:30 p.m. is Virginia at Georgia Tech -- the two teams we just beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

For the third time in a row, Duke gets a noon start. At least Duke-Pitt makes ESPNU instead of the ACC network.

There is no prime time ACC game that Saturday. But the "prime" ACC game at 3:30 p.m. is Virginia at Georgia Tech -- the two teams we just beat.
    Something I can't get worked up over. Love the early games. Works for my schedule and the implied slight means nothing to me.

Keep winning!

If we keep winning, they can keep sticking us in that noonish slot.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    If we keep winning, they can keep sticking us in that noonish slot.
    Realistically, I expect the Duke-Syracuse game to be also noonish.

Keep winning and Virginia Tech at Duke is probably a 3:30 game.

Of course, UNC at Duke is Thursday night.

Win or lose out, Wake at Duke is a nooner.

I can't shrug off the lack of respect -- I think it ties into the lack of respect from the pollsters.

I just hope the players use it as motivation.

Realistically, I expect the Duke-Syracuse game to be also noonish.

Keep winning and Virginia Tech at Duke is probably a 3:30 game.

Of course, UNC at Duke is Thursday night.

Win or lose out, Wake at Duke is a nooner.

I can't shrug off the lack of respect -- I think it ties into the lack of respect from the pollsters.

I just hope the players use it as motivation.
    I don't really feel like there's a lack of respect from the pollsters. And to the degree there is, I think it's because of our schedule. Our nonconference was really weak, and none of the conference foes we've played are in the Top 25 now. We're "ranked" 26th in the nation per the AP, but with a couple of exceptions, all the teams ranked ahead of us have beaten a ranked team or two, or their loss or losses have been close against high quality opponents. I think the exceptions are the non-power conference teams Marshall and ECU. Marshall is undefeated, so there's that, and I guess ECU is still benefitting from the glow of the 70 points against UNC, but still -- their schedule has not been strong. I think a case can be made that they're overrated, and perhaps we should be ahead of them, but it's not a clear case really. But who else should we be ranked ahead of?

FWIW I think most coaches and players would rather play at noon than at night, as far as the rhythm of the day is concerned.

We had a prime-time game against Miami; we have a prime-time game against UNC; and the ACC Championship is in prime time if we earn it. ESPNU is a national broadcast. Things are moving in the right direction.

We've come a long way from hoping to be on a JP broadcast, or else trying to find an audible radio station.

I live in Oklahoma. Have seen all games on TV except one which was on the go duke.com presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post

. . . . and I guess ECU is still benefitting from the glow of the 70 points against UNC, but still -- their schedule has not been strong.

They also beat Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, back when that was thought to be something kind of impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I don't really feel like there's a lack of respect from the pollsters. And to the degree there is, I think it's because of our schedule. ... But who else should we be ranked ahead of?
    Per the sports-reference.com SRS, we are the 33rd best team, so the computers back up your sense.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    FWIW I think most coaches and players would rather play at noon than at night, as far as the rhythm of the day is concerned. ...
    When we're at home, Cut talks about getting to enjoy Saturday night and watching other games after we play early. This is a business trip to Pitt, and we're going up there Friday regardless, so might as well take care of business first thing Saturday afternoon.

I like games on the ACCN because I can watch them on my regular tv. Games on espnu I have to find an online feed. More important for away games since I don't have the option of viewing the game in person.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I never mind noon kicks as long as they are not home games; I'm tired of serving breakfast for tailgates.
    I hate if for the west coast folks though, including parents of kids on our team. They will watching the game with eggs and pancakes.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I sure hope the VT game is 3:30 or earlier. We also have a home bball game that night at 8pm. I sure plan to attend both and not have to choose one or leave one early. And, I'm proud to say, which one I would leave
    to see the other (end) is undecided.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I never mind noon kicks as long as they are not home games; I'm tired of serving breakfast for tailgates.
    I hate if for the west coast folks though, including parents of kids on our team. They will watching the game with eggs and pancakes.
    West coast football fans are used to am starts for NFL games.

-jk

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I sure hope the VT game is 3:30 or earlier. We also have a home bball game that night at 8pm. I sure plan to attend both and not have to choose one or leave one early. And, I'm proud to say, which one I would leave
    to see the other (end) is undecided.
    That will have to be a noon kick. Grrr.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The time of kickoff and TV network assignment seem to reflect the perceptions of The ACC as much as they reflect on Duke. For the TV networks, this is more about maximizing the number of viewers than it is about individual team standings.

I think the team prefers an early kickoff for the Pitt game because it will allow them to get out of Pittsburgh ahead of the influx of Steeler fans coming in for the Sunday night game.

Beer can be drunk at any time of day. College and business school taught me that.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Beer can be drunk at any time of day. College and business school taught me that.
    It was years before I realized that "scotch eggs" was something different than what I was doing.

I'm tired of serving breakfast for tailgates.
    What a coincidence, we are tired of eating breakfast for tailgates.
    Bob Green

Don't know much about football...

...but figured this article pertains to this discussion: http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...le-to-help-fsu

It's not Duke, it's the ACC.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Nothing wrong w/eggs and pancakes for breakfast to accompany a Duke FB win. Even better if served with mimosas or a chocolate-y Russian imperial stout from Green Flash or Sierra Nevada or Russian River breweries. French toast casserole is pretty tasty, too. Hey, wait a minute. How come you and TNTDevil never served us eggs and flapjacks?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.