Thread: Fury

Fury

The wife and I took in Fury over the weekend. I have a thing for WWII movies and was hoping the favorable reviews would be true. For the most part they were but it just never seemed to reach a level of satisfaction that left you in awe or even wanting more. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, it just wasn't great.

The cast was strong with Pitt, Shia Labeouf, Michael Pena and the dude from Walking Dead and they did play well together. There were a couple of pretty good extended scenes filled with tension with the group that made me think of Inglorious Bastards, but it was nowhere near the level of intensity Tarantino can create.

The action was good but the missing piece was the story. Basically, the plot is a group of guys are extremely lucky to survive as long as they have in the war riding around in a tank. One of their crew dies and is replaced by a very young, inexperienced new guy (Norman) trained to be a typist instead of a soldier. It never really goes anywhere other than Norman learning to cope with the horrors of war. It comes to a climax, kind of a last stand and I won't spoil what happens but it is very predictable and also unrealistic.

I'm obviously no movie reviewer but I would give it 2 out of 4 stars if I were grading. It's definitely no Saving Private Ryan or even in the top tier World War II movies in my opinion.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    The wife and I took in Fury over the weekend. I have a thing for WWII movies and was hoping the favorable reviews would be true. For the most part they were but it just never seemed to reach a level of satisfaction that left you in awe or even wanting more. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, it just wasn't great.

The cast was strong with Pitt, Shia Labeouf, Michael Pena and the dude from Walking Dead and they did play well together. There were a couple of pretty good extended scenes filled with tension with the group that made me think of Inglorious Bastards, but it was nowhere near the level of intensity Tarantino can create.

The action was good but the missing piece was the story. Basically, the plot is a group of guys are extremely lucky to survive as long as they have in the war riding around in a tank. One of their crew dies and is replaced by a very young, inexperienced new guy (Norman) trained to be a typist instead of a soldier. It never really goes anywhere other than Norman learning to cope with the horrors of war. It comes to a climax, kind of a last stand and I won't spoil what happens but it is very predictable and also unrealistic.

I'm obviously no movie reviewer but I would give it 2 out of 4 stars if I were grading. It's definitely no Saving Private Ryan or even in the top tier World War II movies in my opinion.
    I saw it on Friday, an afternoon matinee after a very early starting workday. I would give it a 2.5 on a four point scale. I agree it lacked an overarching story, i.e. how the current action fit into the bigger picture of the war, etc. It was very much a day in the life, albeit a very violent day.