Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Curious about a surfing stunt, I clicked on a Slate link. I got some real bonuses, including a clip about this year's bowl selection rules.

To get there, though, since I have no editing skills, I can only link to the beginning of the clips. To get to the rules, you have to go through one other clip that is even more fascinating: a film history of World Series field storming. OF will love it.

The explanation of this year's bowling rules is the third--worth the wait--about 6 minutes. And don't forget the 720º that the surfer throws.

So now you know how this year's bowling rules will work. And it was fun getting there.
    If you want to watch this video, complete with smart azz comments, this link is better: http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...ff_system.html

Its an OK overview of the playoff, but does not address the details of champion replacement and tie ins.

ESPN currently projects us for the Russell Athletic Bowl, and has us #25 in the power rankings. Oddly, Clemson is not far ahead of us in any poll (#22 in power rankings, for example). Still, have trouble seeing us jump over them in the selection committees' collective minds.

Glad we have a week to rest for Pitt.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ESPN currently projects us for the Russell Athletic Bowl...
    CBS Sports agrees:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ls/predictions

All we have to do is keep winning.
    Bob Green

Phil Steele projects Duke vs. Texas A&M in the Music City Bowl:

http://www.philsteele.com/bowls/14-1...ojections.html

He has Virginia in two bowl games, the Sun Bowl vs. Arizona State and the Belk Bowl vs. South Carolina. I assume one was suppose to say Virginia Tech.
    Bob Green

So, where's Duke bowling?

Would someone (with more computer skills than me) make a chart of all of these prognostications? Could that be placed somewhere where it could be updated (or maybe copy and pasted)?

It would be cool to see all the different prognosticators listed down the left hand/vertical column, then each week/date written across the top/horizontal, w/ all the picks filled in as to where Duke is predicted to go. Just to see when there is consensus. It would tracking speculative nonsense, but still neat to see -- and easier to reference if it were in one place than reading many posts about "person X now picks Duke to bowl Y".

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Would someone (with more computer skills than me) make a chart of all of these prognostications? Could that be placed somewhere where it could be updated (or maybe copy and pasted)?

It would be cool to see all the different prognosticators listed down the left hand/vertical column, then each week/date written across the top/horizontal, w/ all the picks filled in as to where Duke is predicted to go. Just to see when there is consensus. It would tracking speculative nonsense, but still neat to see -- and easier to reference if it were in one place than reading many posts about "person X now picks Duke to bowl Y".
    I'm not too good on the formtatting of this (and ESPN and USA Today haven't updated their bowl projections this week), but ones I see so far are:

CBS (Jerry Palm): Russell Athletic Bowl (Duke-Baylor)
    Sporting News: Russell Athletic Bowl (Duke-TCU)
    Phil Steele: Music City Bowl (Duke-Texas A&M)
    Collegesportsmadness.com: Pinstripe Bowl (Duke-Penn St.)
    SB Nation: Orange Bowl (Duke-Alabama) -- this one seems insane and is premised on us being picked ahead of Clemson, which would never happen.

Also, not all of the bowl pickers use the same approach -- some, like Palm and Steele, are clearly "projecting" what they think will happen during the rest of the season (for example, neither of them has Mississippi St. in the playoff, even though they obviously would be if the season ended today). Others appear to be picking as if the season ended today.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Want to read a very cool stat? This is from an article on ESPN talking about how being simply bowl eligible is no longer our goal.

The Blue Devils have lost only one of their past 15 regular-season conference games.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...e-goal-at-duke
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I, too, like thinking about our bowl game. But projecting destinations at this time is pretty ridiculous. With five games to play, at least four of them could go either way. (Wake looks pretty horrific right now).

I think I'll wait until at least after the Pitt and Syracuse road games to begin peering into the crystal ball.

(Winning our bowl game would be a nice thing this year).

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Want to read a very cool stat? This is from an article on ESPN talking about how being simply bowl eligible is no longer our goal.

The Blue Devils have lost only one of their past 15 regular season conference games.
    Unfortunately, the stat is incorrect, we have lost seven of the last 15:

Virginia - win
    Geogia Tech - win
    Miami - loss

North Carolina -win
    Wake Forest - win
    Miami - win
    NC State - win
    Virginia Tech - win
    Virginia - win
    Pittsburgh - loss
    Georgia Tech - loss

Miami - loss
    Georgia Tech -loss
    Clemson - loss
    Florida State - loss
    Last edited by Bob Green; 10-21-2014 at 10:47 AM.
    Bob Green

I read that too...it can't be right though...last year we were 6-2 and were only 2-1 this year...meaning we've lost 3 of our last 11...I think they meant overall games...which is true

"The Blue Devils have lost only one of their past 15 regular-season conference games."

Making it even cooler is adding up the combined conference wins for 2010 and 2011: two, to go along with 14 losses! The best part may be that David Cutcliffe is not a miracle worker. He has patiiently built up the skill and confidence level of our Football team. We have reason to believe that Rome is still being built, and on a strong foundation!

Oh, and another thing, CB&B. I, too, have always believed that Wallace Wade is fundamentally a fine football venue. Just like Cameron, the place is steeped in tradition. The horseshoe-shape of the stadium is traditional AND functional, and the authentic tunnel makes for a dramatic entrance for Duke Football players. Most of the upgrades are welcome, but the only things really missing are rear ends in all of the seats. I even like the carnival atmosphere that the vendors create around the concourse.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Virginia - win
    Geogia Tech - win
    Miami - loss

North Carolina -win
    Wake Forest - win
    Miami - win
    NC State - win
    Virginia Tech - win
    Virginia - win
    Pittsburgh - loss
    Georgia Tech - loss

Miami - loss
    Georgia Tech -loss
    Clemson - loss
    Florida State - loss
    I was wondering. Darn you to heck, ESPN, for being an unreputable news source!!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I was wondering. Darn you to heck, ESPN, for being an unreputable news source!!!
    Bob Green=DBR fountain of (accurate) information

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Virginia - win
    Geogia Tech - win
    Miami - loss

North Carolina -win
    Wake Forest - win
    Miami - win
    NC State - win
    Virginia Tech - win
    Virginia - win
    Pittsburgh - loss
    Georgia Tech - loss

Miami - loss
    Georgia Tech -loss
    Clemson - loss
    Florida State - loss
    But only one of the last nine - Duke football is trending

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    SB Nation: Orange Bowl (Duke-Alabama) -- this one seems insane and is premised on us being picked ahead of Clemson, which would never happen.
    I wouldn't say never ... while wildly optimistic, it's not insane.

Obviously, for it to happen, Duke would have to (1) win the Coastal and upset FSU (maybe without Winston?) in the ACC title game. If that happens, Duke is in the Orange Bowl. Or (2) Duke wins out in the regular season and loses to FSU in the ACC title game.

At that point, Duke is 11-2. Would the Orange take Clemson? Well, today they would. But Clemson already has two losses and faces a potential third in their finale against South Carolina -- Spurrier has owned them.

Would the Orange prefer 11-2 Duke to 9-3 Clemson ... considering that in that scenario, Duke is probably ranked higher?

And it's not inconceivable that Clemson could lose another game or two -- with Cole Stout at QB, they are extremely vulnerable -- BC should have beaten them last Saturday. Of course, Duke could lose another game or two or three too.

I'm not saying we're the favorite for the Orange or anything -- we're not. But it's not an insane or farfetched scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I wouldn't say never ... while wildly optimistic, it's not insane.

Obviously, for it to happen, Duke would have to (1) win the Coastal and upset FSU (maybe without Winston?) in the ACC title game. If that happens, Duke is in the Orange Bowl. Or (2) Duke wins out in the regular season and loses to FSU in the ACC title game.

At that point, Duke is 11-2. Would the Orange take Clemson? Well, today they would. But Clemson already has two losses and faces a potential third in their finale against South Carolina -- Spurrier has owned them.

Would the Orange prefer 11-2 Duke to 9-3 Clemson ... considering that in that scenario, Duke is probably ranked higher?

And it's not inconceivable that Clemson could lose another game or two -- with Cole Stout at QB, they are extremely vulnerable -- BC should have beaten them last Saturday. Of course, Duke could lose another game or two or three too.

I'm not saying we're the favorite for the Orange or anything -- we're not. But it's not an insane or farfetched scenario.
    Pretty good rundown here, in my opinion.
    Remember, at this time last year, the Chicken Sammich Bowl looked mostly like a pipe dream too.

Louisville may be out of the mix for a top three spot in the conference after this weekend, but until then -- they have a fair resume (compared to us, at least) and have upcoming opportunities against FSU and ND. As State and UNC showed (respectively), neither the 'Noles nor the Irish are immune from someone jumping up and biting them.

I could see a bowl selecting Louisville over Duke if we are only one win better at the end.

One nice thing we have going for us was our excellent attendance in atlanta last year. Should be a plus this year, though I don't know how
    a less attractive venue might change that...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    One nice thing we have going for us was our excellent attendance in atlanta last year. Should be a plus this year, though I don't know how
    a less attractive venue might change that...
    Two nice things-IIRC, we sold the largest # of tix for any ACC school for the 2013-2014 FB/bowl season when we played in the Belk Bowl. We're getting quite the reputation. I'd have your same concern about a most distant/less attractive location (but would we really have the "right" to complain given our awful track record for the last 40-50 years) where our alumni presence might be a whole lot smaller.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Call me crazy, but we're alive til we're not anymore

http://espn.go.com/ncf/notebook/_/pa...tims-survivors

A clear SEC West winner who wins SEC championship, the other SEC west guys beating up on each other, 2-loss Pac 12 / Big 10 champs, and an ACC title and we're right there.

Not as implausible as it sounds. I just know I'll enjoy watching the rest of the year - good to be relevant in late October. One week at a time.