MBB: 2014-15 Conference Predictions

I have not seen a thread on this, but if I missed it I trust the mods will re-locate it.

So to get the ball rolling here are my Predictions:

1. Duke
    2. Univ. of No Class(es)
    3. L'ville
    4. UVA
    5. 'Cuse
    6. State
    7. Pitt
    8. Free Shoes Univ.
    9. ND
    10. Old Tech (to the ACC)
    11. New Tech (VPI)
    12. Clemson
    13. Miami
    14. Wake
    15. BC

Nothing too surprising here. The top 3 are all going to be really good, slight dip to UVA and 'Cuse in the second tier. The third tier is really wide and some one of those 7 teams will no doubt surprise us and have a fine season. New coaches (BC, Wake) will have a hard time, but in a year or 2 I think Va Tech will be consistantly better than Pitt is now.
    The Gordog

I think you underestimate Virginia and Miami -- Miami by a lot. You greatly overestimate Virginia Tech.

Duke, Virginia, UNC and Louisville look like contenders for the regular season title with Syracuse a clearcut 5th.

I see VPI and VC battling for last place, just behind Wake and Georgia Tech.

The middle is a mess -- in addition to the top five, I think Pitt, NC State and FSU all have a good shot at making the NCAA field.

Miami, with its transfers, looks like the most improved team in the league to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I think you underestimate Virginia and Miami -- Miami by a lot. You greatly overestimate Virginia Tech...

Miami, with its transfers, looks like the most improved team in the league to me.
    I think we (Virginia) will be right in the mix with the other top 3 teams. We'll ALWAYS get overlooked by some due to the fact that Bennett doesn't load the roster with one-and-done type talent. However, I think at this point it's safe to say that he's proven his system can get results even against elite competition. All he's done is beat the conference media poll's prediction every year since he arrived by at least 2-3 spots in the standings.

I agree that Miami will be much improved as well, Larranaga is a FANTASTIC coach. I'd put him right there with Bennett after the 4 HOFers in the league ( and ever so slightly above Dixon/Hamilton/Brey/etc.

Even as somebody who dislikes VT (rivalry), I think Williams is a really good hire for him if he sticks there. Not sure it'll show that much in the results THIS season, but they'll be back in the top half soon.

ACC Operation Basketball

ACC Operation Basketball, doing business this year as a Roy Williams press conference with a conference media day attached. Preseason predictions from the ACC media:

ACC Operation Basketball 2014-15 Preseason Poll
    (First-place votes in parenthesis)

Team & Points
    1. Duke (41): 935
    2. North Carolina (12): 870
    3. Louisville (3): 847
    4. Virginia: 824 (7)
    5. Syracuse: 706 (2)
    6. Pitt: 592
    7. Notre Dame: 515
    8. Florida State: 506
    9. NC State: 478
    10. Miami: 442
    11. Clemson: 330
    12. Wake Forest: 221
    13. Georgia Tech: 195
    14. Boston College: 184
    15. Virginia Tech: 155

2014-15 Preseason All-ACC Team
    (votes in parenthesis)
    Marcus Paige, North Carolina (63)
    Montrezl Harrell, Louisville (58)
    Jahlil Okafor, Duke (57)
    Malcolm Brogdon, Virginia (55)
    Jerian Grant, Notre Dame (24)

ACC Preseason Player of the Year
    Marcus Paige, North Carolina

ACC Preseason Rookie of the Year
    Jahlil Okafor, Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I think you underestimate Virginia and Miami -- Miami by a lot. You greatly overestimate Virginia Tech.

Duke, Virginia, UNC and Louisville look like contenders for the regular season title with Syracuse a clearcut 5th.

I see VPI and VC battling for last place, just behind Wake and Georgia Tech.

The middle is a mess -- in addition to the top five, I think Pitt, NC State and FSU all have a good shot at making the NCAA field.

The Viet Cong? Venture Capitalists? (I know you meant BC but I could not resist.)

6. That is a tremendous amount of love for Paige. I like the kid but I doubt he can live up to all those expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    That is a tremendous amount of love for Paige. I like the kid but I doubt he can live up to all those expectations.
    Paige is a legitimate All-American candidate. Kid can ball. If there is anyone that I am concerned about in terms of living up to hype, it's our big guy who has yet to even play a college game. I don't think he's the Black Pigeon but those memories give fresh warning.

It is hard for me to argue with much on the writer's list. Maybe Miami should be higher. Without knowing how the unbalanced schedules for each team works out, though, it's kind of a crap shoot anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Paige is a legitimate All-American candidate. Kid can ball. If there is anyone that I am concerned about in terms of living up to hype, it's our big guy who has yet to even play a college game. I don't think he's the Black Pigeon but those memories give fresh warning.

It is hard for me to argue with much on the writer's list. Maybe Miami should be higher. Without knowing how the unbalanced schedules for each team works out, though, it's kind of a crap shoot anyway.
    I have to agree. IMO, Paige is the best returning player in the ACC. He is the lone bright star in this mess at UNC. He's also an Academic All-American (although at UNC, that is most likely meaningless).

I don't like UNC at all, but I can come around to really liking Paige. I love his game and ability to carry a team on his back.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I have to agree. IMO, Paige is the best returning player in the ACC. He is the lone bright star in this mess at UNC. He's also an Academic All-American (although at UNC, that is most likely meaningless).

I don't like UNC at all, but I can come around to really liking Paige. I love his game and ability to carry a team on his back.
    Even his stint as Pharrell in the ludicrous UNC "Happy" lip synch video was pretty charming. In case you have forgotten: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WisXFOD8Jk

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Even his stint as Pharrell in the ludicrous UNC "Happy" lip synch video was pretty charming. In case you have forgotten: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WisXFOD8Jk
    He reminds me a lot of Nolan Smith. Nolan is the rare Duke player who dominated and wasn't universally hated.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club