Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Bo Jackson is giving up on Jameis Winston.

Bo knows... Winston's a moron.

I am not so sure about that. No, wait. In fact, I am sure. Bo don't know Diddley:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...y%20commercial
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Bo Jackson is giving up on Jameis Winston.

Bo knows... Winston's a moron.
    Thanks for sharing. Interesting. Yeah, who needs to listen to Bo... what could he possibly know about being both an NFL and MLB star or staying clear of trouble? What a moron.

There was a scout on ESPN radio yesterday arguing with the hosts. The scout declared definitely that WInston would never amount to squat in the NFL and teams should not touch him because of the character issues and the thought that Winston is the type of person that will never get it. The hosts argued loudly he could mature and be a star. The scouts response? "Winston will fail in the NFL no matter which team drafts him, their scheme's or their coaching. He will never ever make it. Guaranteed bust and teams should not touch him, certainly not with a first round pick and large salary.."

Harsh words and strong statement for sure, but at this point, with all we have to go on, I think we have to lean toward the side of the scout vs the side of the hosts who said he could mature and be a star in the "right circumstances"

Time will tell but at the current rate it will be a miracle if Winston survives the year at FSU.

SO much talent and a big waste if he can't get himself under control.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    If they did that, then Teaneck would have a chance to win a game. (Go Highwaymen!)
    Teaneck already has one win this year. Don't get greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Interesting. Yeah, who needs to listen to Bo... what could he possibly know about being both an NFL and MLB star or staying clear of trouble? What a moron.

There was a scout on ESPN radio yesterday arguing with the hosts. The scout declared definitely that WInston would never amount to squat in the NFL and teams should not touch him because of the character issues and the thought that Winston is the type of person that will never get it. The hosts argued loudly he could mature and be a star. The scouts response? "Winston will fail in the NFL no matter which team drafts him, their scheme's or their coaching. He will never ever make it. Guaranteed bust and teams should not touch him, certainly not with a first round pick and large salary.."

Harsh words and strong statement for sure, but at this point, with all we have to go on, I think we have to lean toward the side of the scout vs the side of the hosts who said he could mature and be a star in the "right circumstances"

Time will tell but at the current rate it will be a miracle if Winston survives the year at FSU.

SO much talent and a big waste if he can't get himself under control.
    So . . . can we pencil him in as the Raiders' first round draft pick?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Teaneck already has one win this year. Don't get greedy.
    That's the same number of wins I saw in three years in the band there. ( missed one game in those years, which they won, of course!)

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    So . . . can we pencil him in as the Raiders' first round draft pick?
    They'll trade their first round picks for the next 3 years to move up to get him.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    They'll trade their first round picks for the next 3 years to move up to get him.
    You're confusing the Raiders with the Redskins.

"Time will tell but at the current rate it will be a miracle if Winston survives the year at FSU."
    Are we talking of the FSU team in Florida? Football? You gotta be kiddin'.He will be too busy with football to have time of university investigations in his conduct. Maybe before baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I do not care if Winston made infinite dollars off his autographs.

FSU's hearing of the sexual assault case is another example of universities thinking that they are better able to legislate certain legal issues than the court system. The guy was never even charged, let alone convicted of this crime, why the hell does Florida State University think they can do things better. If he did do it, then I want him punished in a legal setting by people whose job it is to do it, not by an educational institution. It is also ridiculous that he has to be treated differently than other students. I thought that was what schools and the NCAA want to avoid? The hypocrisy of it all baffles me. I understand that they have to do something based on Title IX. But schools need to leave investigations and court-like procedures up to the legal system when it comes to legal matters. It is just infuriating to me that schools think they can operate outside the judicial system. Duke has done it on several occasions and has cost themselves millions of dollars in legal fees and out of court settlements because of their stupidity, other institutions do the same thing, and it just makes no sense to me.
    FSU is similar to Duke apparently in having a policy for sexual assault tribunals where the accused is not allowed some of the normal due process rights we expect in US court proceedings, including a right to independent legal counsel. I am very interested to see how this plays out in the Winston case as he has a lawyer and the lawyer is apparently trying to challenge this construct. Most college students charged in these types of cases do not have the resources to truly challenge this like Winston will probably be able to.

tOSU has a case in this area right now where they may have to pony up some big bucks in the marching band director case. Reading between the lawsuit filed on line, it seems like tOSU got on the hot seat with the Feds task force that is coming after the way universities handle sexual assualt reporting, etc. In order to get the feds to back off, they needed to find a way to show the feds how tough they are on this issue so they made an example of the marching band director. If you believe half of what the band directors lawyers have published, tOSU is in trouble.

It looks like the latest potential scandal with Winston is a possible points shaving allegation. Apparently an old high school teammate and a close friend wagered 5500 that Lville would have the first half lead against fsu. Allegedly the largest bet this guy ever made with the bookie.

...something about smoke and fire seems appropriate

OK., now we're talking. Holes will be thrilled by the cover fire!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    OK., now we're talking. Holes will be thrilled by the cover fire!
    The source of this accusation seems a bit thin at the moment (to be polite):

http://heavy.com/sports/2014/11/jame...ns-chris-rabb/

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The source of this accusation seems a bit thin at the moment (to be polite):

http://heavy.com/sports/2014/11/jame...ns-chris-rabb/
    Yes, but Jameis attracts accusations like bees to honey. Something is going to stick.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    How common is to have a lawyer representing you outside of a court of law?
    The attorney for Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston has requested that FSU officials delay his upcoming student conduct code hearing, in which Winston potentially could face four violations for his involvement in an alleged sexual assault in December 2012.
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-florida-state
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    How common is to have a lawyer representing you outside of a court of law?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-florida-state
    Given the civil and possible criminal implications of the evidence adduced at the hearing, anyone in his situation should have one.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Given the civil and possible criminal implications of the evidence adduced at the hearing, anyone in his situation should have one.
    Ok...but his criminal day in court has already come and gone, right? I thought that the proceedings he is facing now are basically in front of a student group, and they would be deciding what his punishment, if any, would be related to student activities.
    Seems an odd place for a lawyer to show up, but maybe it is common practice. Either way, awfully convenient to ask for it progress after the FB season is over. I like how the reasoning is so the lawyer can be prepared. Because all the lawyer has done the last 12 months is sit on the beach and sip margaritas.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Ok...but his criminal day in court has already come and gone, right? I thought that the proceedings he is facing now are basically in front of a student group, and they would be deciding what his punishment, if any, would be related to student activities.
    Seems an odd place for a lawyer to show up, but maybe it is common practice. Either way, awfully convenient to ask for it progress after the FB season is over. I like how the reasoning is so the lawyer can be prepared. Because all the lawyer has done the last 12 months is sit on the beach and sip margaritas.
    It may or may not work, but he's doing exactly what I would do. Run out the clock if you can, don't let your client testify under any circumstances whatsoever.

It may or may not work, but he's doing exactly what I would do. Run out the clock if you can, don't let your client testify under any circumstances whatsoever.
    An equally interesting question is what's the source of paying the legal fees. Somebody has introduced Mr. Green somewhere in the process. Follow the money...

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    An equally interesting question is what's the source of paying the legal fees. Somebody has introduced Mr. Green somewhere in the process. Follow the money...
    ...to where? There are plenty of reasonable explanations.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    ...to where? There are plenty of reasonable explanations.
    My question is -- why a lawyer from Georgia instead of local.

Not saying this is the case, but plenty of lawyers would represent this dude for free. He will be a repeat client, and next time he will have a multi-million dollar annual stream. "Loss leader" is a phrase that comes to mind.

And my closest experience is UGa, which has a well-respected (Athens) lawyer represent players in various capacities. Not sure in internal matters though like this because that may be a conflict of interest.