Duke -- 5 turnovers lost; 7th in country for fewest

QB Sacks
    UVa -- 23 teams sacks; 5th in country
    Duke -- 4 sacks allowed; 3rd in country for fewest

Rushing
    Duke Offense -- 228.5 yds/game; 23rd in the country
    UVa Defense vs Rush -- 91.5 yds/game allowed; 6th in the country

NCAA Team Stats
    I would also note that UVa has done that against a pretty strong slate of competition (compared to ours yet, at least) -- UCLA, BYU, Louisville, Pitt, even Richmond (historically -- not sure what they have this year).

Overall, UVa is 57th in scoring, and 47th in points allowed. We are 32nd and 7th, respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I would also note that UVa has done that against a pretty strong slate of competition (compared to ours yet, at least) -- UCLA, BYU, Louisville, Pitt, even Richmond (historically -- not sure what they have this year).

Overall, UVa is 57th in scoring, and 47th in points allowed. We are 32nd and 7th, respectively.
    Man, we might see something like 17-14 as the final, or 13-10 like the VT game last year. In favor of the good guys, hopefully.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The ACC blog team at ESPN has unimously picked UVA to win the game. They did the same with GT. I hope this is the beginning of a fun trend.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...-8-predictions
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Man, we might see something like 17-14 as the final, or 13-10 like the VT game last year. In favor of the good guys, hopefully.
    Turnovers and special team play are probably the determinatives here.

Turnovers and special team play are probably the determinatives here.
    Hmmm...maybe a big punt return by Crowder or kick return by DeVon Edwards?

They're certainly capable.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Hmmm...maybe a big punt return by Crowder or kick return by DeVon Edwards?

They're certainly capable.
    Both would be nice. And doable.

Both would be nice. And doable.
    I'd love to see our D duplicate their 3 TO performance in Atlanta. Plus, hoping Boone and his gang can put up another 0 TO game.

Tailgating

I'm headed to WW for the first time in probably 10 years for the game Saturday. I was wondering if anyone knew a good spot to tailgate near the stadium? Or if it would be pretty obvious when we got to campus where to go. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by noworries View Post
    I'm headed to WW for the first time in probably 10 years for the game Saturday. I was wondering if anyone knew a good spot to tailgate near the stadium? Or if it would be pretty obvious when we got to campus where to go. Thanks in advance!
    Following is a link with all sorts of information about game day for football. Scroll down the page for information about public parking locations and prices.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...ATCLID=1178945

Parking and access to campus is much more organized and controlled than it was just a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by noworries View Post
    Unless you have an Iron Duke pass, your best bet is probably the Chemistry lot. Someone with more experience can probably give you a better answer. A lot of people park and then walk to a tailgate in the Iron Duke lots as well. Plus there is also the school sponsored tailgate, Club Blue Devil, inside the gate.

Here's an update specific to events on campus October 18.
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post

Parking and access to campus is much more organized and controlled than it was just a few years ago.
    Thank goodness! The folks in charge have gotten it right. Traffic directors and parking attendants have a great attitude and are extremely helpful.

A friend (long time Duke fan) had such a bad experience about 6 years ago that he gave up season tickets, and still refuses to go to football games, even when offered a free ticket. He still goes to basketball games.

I had numerous bad experiences, including:

1) being directed in circles, and never being able to make a right hand turn to get on the road leading to my reserved lot.

2) being told the lot was full, even though the lot was in sight and was 75% empty.

3) being told that the lot was designated for basketball parking (CTC was that night). After parking far, far away and walking to the stadium, the attendant saw me and my guest, apologized, and said he was misinformed and that I could go get my car and park in my lot.

I often wondered if a UNC fan was in charge back then, and was making life as difficult as possible for us Blue Devils.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Thank goodness! The folks in charge have gotten it right. Traffic directors and parking attendants have a great attitude and are extremely helpful.

A friend (long time Duke fan) had such a bad experience about 6 years ago that he gave up season tickets, and still refuses to go to football games, even when offered a free ticket. He still goes to basketball games.

I had numerous bad experiences, including:

1) being directed in circles, and never being able to make a right hand turn to get on the road leading to my reserved lot.

2) being told the lot was full, even though the lot was in sight and was 75% empty.

3) being told that the lot was designated for basketball parking (CTC was that night). After parking far, far away and walking to the stadium, the attendant saw me and my guest, apologized, and said he was misinformed and that I could go get my car and park in my lot.

I often wondered if a UNC fan was in charge back then, and was making life as difficult as possible for us Blue Devils.

Well, they still aren't 100% crisp in how they handle things, but they're a few miles beyond where they were pre Cutcliffe. I recall writing a letter to him when hired noting that while he was trying to build up attendance, tailgating, etc, the
    idiots in charge (inscrutable Sovietesque combination of Iron Dukes and Public Safety bureaucratic nincompoops, each of which blamed the other "organization") regularly did NOT have the parking lot gates open a mere 90 minutes before kickoff. Almost amusingly appalling.
    (I did get a nice reply from Cut, said he'd make sure the lots opened well in advance of games...and he did).

Blackout Map:

Affiliates again:
    http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail...uke-2014-10-06

Area in Black:
    -One of the stations on the list linked above
    -Online through ACC website http://theacc.co/FBLive14UVAvsDUKE

Area in Green:
    -One of the stations on the list linked above
    -Online through ACC website http://theacc.co/FBLive14UVAvsDUKE
    -ESPN3
    -ESPN GamePlan

Compared to last week, we lose one station and gain three others. That pushes the television household count over 90 million and 80% covering more than 120 markets.

Patrick Cacchio previews the game:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/10/p...virginia-duke/

Ball security, ball security, ball security. Virginia ranks second in the country in takeaways with 19 through their first 6 games.
    The more I think about this game, the more I believe it will be a lower scoring, defensive battle where the offense who takes advantage of an opportunity wins. Whoever scores off a turnover or special teams play that flips the field will prevail.

I'm taking the under: Duke 20, Virginia 16. That prediction and $2.25 will get you a cup of coffee.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

The more I think about this game, the more I believe it will be a lower scoring, defensive battle where the offense who takes advantage of an opportunity wins. Whoever scores off a turnover or special teams play that flips the field will prevail.

I'm taking the under: Duke 20, Virginia 16. That prediction and $2.25 will get you a cup of coffee.
    I'll take that score AND I'll get my senior cuppa coffee at McDonald's or Hardees for $0.59.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'll take that score AND I'll get my senior cuppa coffee at McDonald's or Hardees for $0.59.
    psh. i'll take my free fries at McD's after duke scores 3 touch downs tomorrow.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    psh. i'll take my free fries at McD's after duke scores 3 touch downs tomorrow.
    Heck, I'll be happy with a 9-7 win tomorrow, considering the over/under, the defenses involved and the line now down to Duke -1.5. And I can still get my $0.59 cuppa Joe with my senior discount . Wanna join me?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

I suppose it's how you define a defensive battle, total points, TOP, total yards. Let's keep it simple and go with total points scored < 40 or thereabouts. A defensive battle favors UVa in my opinion. UVA comes in with a defensive posture, Duke with an offensive posture, though Duke's defense is vastly improved and improving game by game. The more compelling and determinative matchup will be Duke's offense vs the UVa defense. The unit that wins that battle will determine the outcome. UVa wins if it can keep Duke to 23 points or less. I believe the Duke defense can and will limit the UVa offensve to around 24 points but that's probably the lower bound. Duke wins if can put up 24 points or more. Duke 30-22.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    I suppose it's how you define a defensive battle, total points, TOP, total yards. Let's keep it simple and go with total points scored < 40 or thereabouts. A defensive battle favors UVa in my opinion. UVA comes in with a defensive posture, Duke with an offensive posture, though Duke's defense is vastly improved and improving game by game. The more compelling and determinative matchup will be Duke's offense vs the UVa defense. The unit that wins that battle will determine the outcome. UVa wins if it can keep Duke to 23 points or less. I believe the Duke defense can and will limit the UVa offensve to around 24 points but that's probably the lower bound. Duke wins if can put up 24 points or more. Duke 30-22.
    Why would that be the case? we had GT at 12 until they switched schema, and even then, they barely cracked 24. Why should we expect UVA to do better?
    April 1