Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Game over! Series over! And for the third time in five years, the Giants are Champions of baseball!

The Texas Rangers, the Detroit Tigers, and now the Kansas City Royals have all had the honor of hosting a World Series celebration for the San Francisco Giants.

The Royals entered the World Series on an 11-game postseason winning streak; the Giants said nuh-uh to that.

The Giants are the first team since the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1979 to win a World Series Game 7 on the road. They are the first NL team since the Cardinals in 1942/44/46 to win 3 titles in 5 years. Madison Bumgarner won Games 1,5, and 7, and he holds the record for the lowest ERA of any pitcher in the World Series with at least 20 IP.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2014 World Series Champions, the San Francisco Giants!

A trivia question for everyone: The Giants are now the fifth franchise to have won 3 titles in 5 years? Who are the other 4? (Hint: I gave you one as a freebie)

Quote Originally Posted by AncientPsychicT View Post
    Madison Bumgarner won Games 1,5, and 7, and he holds the record for the lowest ERA of any pitcher in the World Series with at least 20 IP.

A trivia question for everyone: The Giants are now the fifth franchise to have won 3 titles in 5 years? Who are the other 4? (Hint: I gave you one as a freebie)
    Bumgarner gets a five inning save for game 7, not a win - despite what they said on the air.

3 in 5: Yankees and Athletics have won three in a row in the past 45 years. In addition to the Cardinals in the 40s, I assume the other two are from a long time ago.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Bumgarner gets a five inning save for game 7, not a win - despite what they said on the air.
    No, he should get a win. The pitcher of record (the one in line for the win/loss) for any particular game starts with whomever completed the fifth inning. Since Madison Bumgarner completed the fifth inning for the Giants, he was the initial pitcher of record. Since he went on to finish the game, he was also the final pitcher of record, and thus got the win. At least he should have; if he didn't, then someone made an error in scorekeeping.

No, he should get a win. The pitcher of record (the one in line for the win/loss) for any particular game starts with whomever completed the fifth inning. Since Madison Bumgarner completed the fifth inning for the Giants, he was the initial pitcher of record. Since he went on to finish the game, he was also the final pitcher of record, and thus got the win. At least he should have; if he didn't, then someone made an error in scorekeeping.
    Not correct. There is no such fifth inning rule. The win goes to whomever was the pitcher of record at the time the game winning run was scored, unless it was a starter who pitched less than 5 innings (exception is if a reliever who otherwise would qualify for a win was deemed by the scorer to be ineffective). In the exception scenario, it is up to the scorekeeper to decide which reliever deserves the win.

See the explanation here.

Affeldt gets the win. Bumgarner gets a World Series record.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Not correct. There is no such fifth inning rule. The win goes to whomever was the pitcher of record at the time the game winning run was scored, unless it was a starter who pitched less than 5 innings (exception is if a reliever who otherwise would qualify for a win was deemed by the scorer to be ineffective). In the exception scenario, it is up to the scorekeeper to decide which reliever deserves the win.

See the explanation here.

Affeldt gets the win. Bumgarner gets a World Series record.
    Yup, I was reading the official MLB rulebook before you even posted; I came back here to correct myself. I do find it very weird though. As a relief pitcher coming on at the beginning of the fifth inning and later finishing the inning, you are recorded as the pitcher of record if you replaced the starter, but you are NOT recorded as the pitcher of record if someone else had already replaced the starter and now you are replacing that second guy. Additionally, the official scorer can apparently award a win to a relief pitcher he (or she) felt pitched far superior to another pitcher that would otherwise be the pitcher of record. Very strange indeed. I was reading some other material exploring the origins of the modern conventions when it comes to wins and losses for pitchers. Predictably, many of those little known quirks to the rules are holdovers of old practices from eras long past, which in the case of Bumgarner earned him a five-inning save.

I'm not complaining; it's not every day that you see a five-inning save, something that is ordinarily impossible, let alone in a World Series Game 7. Someone who has a more extensive knowledge of baseball history may know of a previous occurrence of a five-inning save, but this is not only the first time I've seen one, it's the first time I've known they are even possible.

Regardless, congrats to Bumgarner, the Giants, and all of their fans. Sorry Royals; maybe next year.

YUCK! That's all I have to say about that.

My hometown hero Madbum brings home number 3 in record setting fashion! MVP!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    ... but to no avail. Next batter-- end of game. Giants win, regrettably.
    Yes, the game did not have the desired outcome.

3 in 5: Yankees and Athletics have won three in a row in the past 45 years. In addition to the Cardinals in the 40s, I assume the other two are from a long time ago.
    '36 through '39 Yankees
    '49 through '53 Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    '36 through '39 Yankees
    '49 through '53 Yankees
    I think the idea is that there are two other FRANCHISES that have done it in addition to the Yankees, Athletics, Giants and Cardinals. Or actually just one other since there are supposedly 5.

I think the idea is that there are two other FRANCHISES that have done it in addition to the Yankees, Athletics, Giants and Cardinals. Or actually just one other since there are supposedly 5.
    Then it's the Red Sox during the 19-teens. They won in '12, '15, '16, and '18, so take your pick.

I grew up in the same town as Bumgarner and I lasted longer in the pitch count before getting out than most of the Royals did in the World Series. Granted he was like 12 playing in the 14 and under league, but whatever. Also the best high school hitter I've ever seen.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Then it's the Red Sox during the 19-teens. They won in '12, '15, '16, and '18, so take your pick.
    Yup, those are the 5 clubs.

The two Bay Area teams (Giants, A's), the two AL East big-spending rivals (Yankees, Red Sox), and the St. Louis Cardinals.

The two Bay Area teams (Giants, A's), the two AL East big-spending rivals (Yankees, Red Sox), and the St. Louis Cardinals.
    The A's actually did it twice, in two different cities. The Philadelphia Athletics won the World Series in 1910, 1911, and 1913. The Oakland Athletics won the World Series in 1972, 1973, and 1974.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Yes, the game did not have the desired outcome.
    Sorry DinK. It's painful, I understand.

Thank goodness there are hoops to look forward to now.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

And Babe Ruth did it with the Red Sox rather than the Yankees. and as a pitcher rather than as an outfielder.
    Ruth had a 94-46 record as a pitcher with a 2.28 ERA.