Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    How do you all handle the fan-conflict? Just avoid taking any player from a team you hate? Take the player and reconcile the conflict with your fan soul (ie: I hope witten scores the touchdown but Dallas still finds a way to lose)?
    Yeah, I just don't take any Patriots or Jets players. I also try to avoid taking Dolphins (my team) players for similar reasons - I don't want to catch myself being sad if Brian Hartline scores a touchdown instead of Mike Wallace or whatever, but this rule is looser for me than the teams-I-dislike rule.

Since obviously most people on this thread play fantasy football, I have a question. I played a couple years, then quit 7 or 8 years ago when I found myself cheering when the Cowboys scored a touchdown on a pass to Jason Witten. See, Witten was my tight end on my fantasy football team, and his touchdown, and the points it gave me, helped secure a win in the fantasy football game that week. A big deal, as I was in contention for the playoffs. I know, huge, right? Well, I grew up in Silver Springs, Md, a huge Redskins fan, which, of course, makes me a huge Cowboys hater. So, in the middle of cheering on that Jason Witten touchdown, I realized I was, in fact, cheering on a Cowboys touchdown in a game in which the touchdown could end up giving Dallas a win.

I felt dirty. Ashamed. Unclean. This kind of unacceptable situation is why I always put Duke as champion of an NCAA bracket, and I always pick Carolina to lose no later than the round of 32. No matter how unrealistic either of those options are. I don't want one tiny part of my soul tainted by any feeling of relief or joy if Carolina wins when a loss would have decimated my bracket.

Is cheering on the Cowboys violating my fan integrity to the same degree as being happy about a Carolina win? No. But it's still violating my fan integrity.

So I dropped fantasy football and I've never gone back.

How do you all handle the fan-conflict? Just avoid taking any player from a team you hate? Take the player and reconcile the conflict with your fan soul (ie: I hope witten scores the touchdown but Dallas still finds a way to lose)?
    I have the opposite approach. I always pick against Duke in big games, and try to pick players on my fantasy teams from teams I hate, while avoiding players from teams I like.

Basically, I'm hedging my bets. Either my fantasy team does well, or I'm happy with the outcome of the game (my team wins / hated team loses). I have something to be happy about either way.

The worst is having Duke go out early AND your bracket ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I'm in need of some fantasy football advice. I probably could make this decision on my own normally but I have a biase opinion in this trade.

I give up Aaron Rodgers and Ahmad Bradshaw but in return I get Andrew Luck.

We start 2 runningbacks I usually start Lynch and Ellington (Bradshaw and CJ2K are backups as well as Brandon Oliver). Rodgers has had two great games and two bad so far, Luck is number 1 by a good bit but am I giving up to much.

14 team league btw with normal scoring
    I would not make that trade. Rodgers is an elite QB, and I don't see Luck maintaining this high a level of play all season. Even if you feel it's an upgrade, it's not worth giving up Bradshaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    I would not make that trade. Rodgers is an elite QB, and I don't see Luck maintaining this high a level of play all season. Even if you feel it's an upgrade, it's not worth giving up Bradshaw.
    That's why I'm kinda biased. I'm a big time Luck fan, I said before our draft Luck would be a sure fire top 3 qb. I didn't want Ridgers I was just trying to make someone spend to much on him and I ended up with him

I'm also a Redskins fan. I don't draft any Dallas Cowboys. There was one time where I missed the draft and Yahoo auto-drafted for me and put Witten on my team. I traded him immediately. I tend to avoid Giants as well but I don't have a rule against them like I do the Cowboys. Having a Cowboy on my fantasy football team would be like having a UNC@CH basketball player on an NCAA fantasy basketball team. It's just not going to happen.

Note that I play fantasy basketball during the NBA season and I don't draft any former UNC@CH players.

I'd rather lose than have Cowboys or UNC@CH players on my fantasy teams.