Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The ACC: Week 5

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    A year ago, the ACC won the national title AND won a second BCS bowls -- something that had only been done once before in the BCS era.
    The SEC won the title and another BCS bowl in 2007, 2008, and 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    So yes, I do believe what we're seeing is a "sudden weakness." The ACC may or may not have been a weakly 5-6 years ago (even 3-4 years ago), but last year it was a giant and through the early part of this year, it looked good. The last two weeks are a big -- and sudden -- dropoff.
    It depends on what scale we're talking about "very good" and "weak." If we're comparing the ACC to all college football conferences, then sure, it's rarely if ever been worse than a non-power conference, which is something that does occasionally happen to say the SEC in basketball. I think most people are implicitly making comparisons to the SEC, Big 12, Pac 12, and Big 10 though (of course the Big East was once a BCS conference too). Even last year, which you rightly point out as the ACC's best year in a long time, the conference was much worse than the SEC and the Pac 12, and arguably a little worse than the Big 12. So the ACC's best year is 3rd or 4th amongst the 5 that people are usually interested in talking about... every other year it's 4th or 5th out of these 5. Maybe it's not a fair to just judge the conference in comparison to those other 4, but on that scale the past two weeks are pretty par for the course for the ACC.
    Last edited by Wander; 09-28-2014 at 11:28 AM.

I will confess I am biased as my other alma mater is in the SEC and had a good couple year run...but it appears that they are dropping back down again as a large turnover in players(only 11 returning starters) and a departed coach(along with some recruiting commitments) shift the makeup of the team. As part of the SEC, I do use that shield at times in the conference discussions. The more distressing thing was this weekend's loss to the that team from the Bluegrass State. A team we had defeated handily the prior 3 meetings. So, I would definitely agree with Wander that the scope of comparison are the Power 5 conferences. I don't think OF suggested otherwise, but the point bears emphasis in any analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I will confess I am biased as my other alma mater is in the SEC and had a good couple year run...but it appears that they are dropping back down again as a large turnover in players(only 11 returning starters) and a departed coach(along with some recruiting commitments) shift the makeup of the team. As part of the SEC, I do use that shield at times in the conference discussions. The more distressing thing was this weekend's loss to the that team from the Bluegrass State. A team we had defeated handily the prior 3 meetings. So, I would definitely agree with Wander that the scope of comparison are the Power 5 conferences. I don't think OF suggested otherwise, but the point bears emphasis in any analysis.
    I didn't realize how long a losing streak Kentucky had in the SEC. Eek.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I didn't realize how long a losing streak Kentucky had in the SEC. Eek.
    I certainly wish they would not have "busted their slump" against us(Vandy).