Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

FB: Miami 22, Duke 10

Duke gets its toughest opponent to date, as we enter conference play having gone 4-0 against a weak non-conference slate (welcome to 2014).

Miami returns home 2-2 following a loss to Nebraska where they lacked discipline.

Discuss the game here.
    Last edited by Dev11; 09-21-2014 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Fixed Miami record

Duke went into the prime evening slot on ESPN2. Carolina vs. Clemson on ESPNU. FL State plays at 3:30. There appears to be a new order.

The Good:

Miami's D isn't really better than last year, particularly against the run (where we put up 350+ yards against them on the ground last year). Nebraska ran all over them for example, today. Duke should be able to score a lot of points (using Shaun Wilson some more next game would be advisable).

The Bad:

Duke's Run D isn't better than last year, if not worse, and Miami HAS Duke Johnson this time. God only knows how we'll stop him.

I think Miami takes this one in a shootout...Cut won't do it, but Duke really should think about stacking the box against Miami and selling out against the rush and trusting the secondary to handle the pass threat.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

The top entry in the "similar threads" box below is titled "Duke 74, Miami 64". FB or WBB, that works for me.

It's possible this is our toughest game of the regular season (the other contenders are @GT and @Pitt). I think we're better than Miami, but on the road, I'd say it's about 50/50. Duke Johnson does scare me a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post

Miami . . . lacked discipline.
    Talk about a slug-fest! I am surprised there we're no ejections.

Miami should be favored at home against us. Even if we come in ranked (which we may), I gotta think we are 5 or 6 point 'dogs. Maybe more.

Will be a touch challenge.

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    ... There appears to be a new order.
    Or, to borrow a phrase, maybe order has been restored.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_Wade

I expect this game to look a lot like last year's game at Wallace Wade. Lots of big plays with the game ultimately turning on a couple of chance plays...a fumble here, a missed easy pass there. It may just come down to who gets touchdowns instead of field goals. Executing in the red zone has been a huge strength for Duke over the last couple of years.

Also, while Miami has two burners at WR in Dorsett and Coley, Duke should have a pretty significant edge at the QB spot. The experience edge, with Miami starting a true freshman and Duke starting a redshirt senior, may have been more pronounced if this were being played at Duke, but still...Duke needs Boone to shake off some his inconsistency from the past couple of outings and give Duke the edge they really need in this one.

I think we will be ranked, and I think the line will be more like Miami by 3.

We have been given a solid look at the base offense to date; the zone read running game, the short passes and the deep sideline routes. Next week against Miami, I expect Coach Cutcliffe to expand the playbook and unveil a wrinkle or two he has been saving for conference opponents.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Mabdul Doobakus View Post
    ...Duke needs Boone to shake off some his inconsistency from the past couple of outings and give Duke the edge they really need in this one.
    People will be much happier if they realize that isn't inconsistency...that IS Boone. He's a red-shirt senior and he's still doing it, it isn't changing. He brings a lot of positives to the table, but he brings some head scratchers too. You'll be much happier enjoying him for what he is and his positives outweigh his negatives

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp4me View Post
    People will be much happier if they realize that isn't inconsistency...that IS Boone. He's a red-shirt senior and he's still doing it, it isn't changing. He brings a lot of positives to the table, but he brings some head scratchers too. You'll be much happier enjoying him for what he is and his positives outweigh his negatives
    I believe Coach has used the term streaky. We've used that term here with some frequency in basketball discussions perhaps, but it certainly is applicable in this context. While Anthony is the starter through his senior year, Thomas is getting more reps in more and more varied game situations, preparation for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I believe Coach has used the term streaky. We've used that term here with some frequency in basketball discussions perhaps, but it certainly is applicable in this context. While Anthony is the starter through his senior year, Thomas is getting more reps in more and more varied game situations, preparation for the future.
    Also the word Steve Logan used to describe Boone on his show this morning.

Looks like Duke has slipped into the Coaches poll at #23, followed by ECU at #24. I actually expected ECU to be ahead of us. They still may be in the AP poll.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/polls/

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    Looks like Duke has slipped into the Coaches poll at #23, followed by ECU at #24. I actually expected ECU to be ahead of us. They still may be in the AP poll.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/polls/
    the only question is who in their right mind gave UNC a vote?
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

UNC is not listed in the "Others Receiving Votes" section. N.C. State is listed with seven votes.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Um, no one? unc is listed under "Schools Dropped Out." They are not listed under "Others receiving votes." North Carolina State did get seven votes. Maybe you didn't see "State" in the name?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

UNC is not listed in the "Others Receiving Votes" section. N.C. State is listed with seven votes.
    oops! missed that little "state" bit at the end!
    1200. DDMF.

During his post-game presser yesterday, Cut made the point that the team has finished the first phase of the season and is geared up for phase next.

Although Phase I exposed some known weaknesses (rushing defense -- sure do miss Kelby Brown -- and inconsistent passing), I'd say the team has exceeded expectations. The offense is working, special teams are working, and the defense has been stingy with points, despite giving up 182 yards per game on the ground (80th in the FBS). Duke is averaging 43.5 points per game and allowing 11.5 points per game for an average margin of victory of 32 points. Lesser competition for sure, but only because Duke's strength creates an expectation of success, which is the only thing that makes one able to call the Phase 1 competition "lesser". And the team has taken care of business in every game. Beating the teams you are supposed to beat isn't a given, and it is a sign of a team taking care of business. Duke is 3-1 against the spread, and the only time they didn't cover (Troy), they missed by only 1 point. That's a sign that they have exceeded expectations. And in Phase I, Cut has pulled many first team players in the second half, which skews the stats. Leaving aside the pre-season losses, Duke comes into the game pretty healthy.

This team is primed to start Phase II on a high note. Miami is 81st in FBS offense, but 21st in FBS defense. Duke is 35th in FBS offense and 45th in FBS defense (again, skewed by second half personnel changes). A win at Miami would put them at 5-0 going into a bye week with four of the following five games, all conference games, on the road. In terms of momentum going into the bye week, it feels like a pivotal game. If Duke's defense can hold Miami's running game (not their strength) and take care of business in the secondary (Miami's starter has thrown 7 interceptions in 4 games), the offense should be able to score enough for an excellent road win.

Duke by 4.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    The Good:

Miami's D isn't really better than last year, particularly against the run (where we put up 350+ yards against them on the ground last year). Nebraska ran all over them for example, today. Duke should be able to score a lot of points (using Shaun Wilson some more next game would be advisable).

The Bad:

Duke's Run D isn't better than last year, if not worse, and Miami HAS Duke Johnson this time. God only knows how we'll stop him.

I think Miami takes this one in a shootout...Cut won't do it, but Duke really should think about stacking the box against Miami and selling out against the rush and trusting the secondary to handle the pass threat.
    For another look at "the good and the bad", check out this excellent article from Adam Gold.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/the-goo...duke/14002299/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Miami has opened as a 5.5 points favorite:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...dds/las-vegas/
    Bob Green