Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The ACC: Week 4

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Nice to see the ACC has retaken its rightful place as the worst of the power conferences. Thanks for the tease, Big 10.
    We're still ahead of the B1G in most rankings (and I think we're better overall)...Having the #1 team in the country probably helps.

http://realtimerpi.com/college_footb..._conf_Men.html ACC #5, B1G #6
    http://www.teamrankings.com/college-...anking-by-conf ACC #3, B1G #5; ACC is 1-8 vs Top 25, whereas B1G is 0-5. However, in the 26-50 range, ACC is 4-3, while B1G is 0-5. That's right, the B1G is 0-10 vs the top 50 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    That's right, the B1G is 0-10 vs the top 50 teams.
    Missouri isn't a top 50 team? Something's gotta be wrong there, right?

My snarky comment aside, I think the ACC and BigWhatever are probably about tied behind, in order, the SEC, Pac 12, and Big 12.

Missouri isn't a top 50 team? Something's gotta be wrong there, right?

My snarky comment aside, I think the ACC and BigWhatever are probably about tied behind, in order, the SEC, Pac 12, and Big 12.
    Good point - not sure how Mizzou isn't top 50 according to that site...I guess it's more like a kenpom site and with just four games in, not enough data points to be completely relevant, so I probably shouldn't have included it. It has us at 21 though.

wow ... Clemson Clemsoned all over themselves. That was epic last night.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Is that like getting Munsoned?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Clemson has to be the only team in football to whom the following would happen: get a touchdown brought back by review, but still inside the opponent's 1 yard line with 1st and goal, line up in shotgun formation, snap the ball 20+ yards backwards over the QB's head, burn a time out, miss the field goal, and have it all be the difference between a road win against the #1 team in the country and losing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke_92 View Post
    A UNC linebacker is quoted as saying "they're not better than us" as he walks off the field. This kind of attitude is one the many reasons this victory was so sweet for the Pirates. After you hang 70 on a team you don't care if they respec you or not.
    And then you have this from IC:

-- 1957unc wrote:

How many players are ECU playing that could not qualify for UNC?

Get waxed by ECU and then try to play the "superior student athlete card"... their arrogance is unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post

-- 1957unc wrote:

Get waxed by ECU and then try to play the "superior student athlete card"... their arrogance is unlimited.
    They must have meant that the ECU players are already way past that grade level in math and reading.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

-- 1957unc wrote:

Or having Marquise Williams play the "this is their Super Bowl" card.

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/coll...41-rout-of-UNC

“They claim it’s their state and they took ownership of it,” UNC quarterback Marquise Williams said. “This is their Super Bowl, and those guys came out and wanted it more. They had the dog in them and I guess we didn’t find our dog tonight.”

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Or having Marquise Williams play the "this is their Super Bowl" card.

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/coll...41-rout-of-UNC
    Well, that's pretty funny. Like the results in 2013 vs ECU hadn't gotten the Heels attention?

Seems like the Daily Tar Heel noticed it, in this blog post made before the recent contest

UNC football puts past behind, eyes redemption at ECU

They can’t avoid the questions.

What do you remember from last season’s loss? Have you followed East Carolina this season ? How long have you been looking forward to this game?

The North Carolina football team’s players and coaches have heard it all this week as they’ve prepared for Saturday’s road game against East Carolina (2-1, 0-0 AA AA C).

In 2013, the Pirates torched UNC, 55-31, at Kenan Stadium — ECU’s first win against UNC since 2007.

Since then, the Tar Heels (2-0, 0-0 ACC) have tried to forget the loss. But as the questions are rattled off, their memories come rushing back from the 2013 game — ECU’s 101 offensive plays, 603 total yards and a series-high 55 points.

-- 1957unc wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    They must have meant that the ECU players are already way past that grade level in math and reading.
    I can't seem to recall any ECU cheating scandals in recent years either...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Now that the dust has settled on the weekend

Let's just rehash: 789 yards. 70 points.

There was one approx. 28 minute stretch of the game, from 6 minutes left in the first half to when ECU stopped passing to run out the game with about 8 minutes left, during which ECU garned 6 touchdowns (one of them defensive) and a missed field goal, with no punts or turnovers, and racked up 456 yards. Less than half the game, 42 points, over 450 yards. More than South Carolina gave up to Eastern over 60 full minutes. I don't care how good of an offense you're playing. That is staggeringly bad.

For comparison purposes, North Carolina Central gave up 200 less yards to ECU. One could blame that on Fedora's offensive philsophy, but then again Central managed just 10 offensive first downs against the Pirates, so it's not like they were keeping their defense off the field or anything. We gave up about 550-575 against FSU and TAMU last season. Those felt like we just couldn't get a stop to save our lives, and this was 40% worse, against a good team, but hardly the national champs or Johnny Football.

789 yards.

No, that doesn't mean we're going to whip them, too. I won't get overconfident. My point is simply to open up a bottle of fine schaden and gulp the freude out of it. UNC gets the Nelson Muntz laugh this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Let's just rehash: 789 yards. 70 points.

There was one approx. 28 minute stretch of the game, from 6 minutes left in the first half to when ECU stopped passing to run out the game with about 8 minutes left, during which ECU garned 6 touchdowns (one of them defensive) and a missed field goal, with no punts or turnovers, and racked up 456 yards. Less than half the game, 42 points, over 450 yards. More than South Carolina gave up to Eastern over 60 full minutes. I don't care how good of an offense you're playing. That is staggeringly bad.

For comparison purposes, North Carolina Central gave up 200 less yards to ECU. One could blame that on Fedora's offensive philsophy, but then again Central managed just 10 offensive first downs against the Pirates, so it's not like they were keeping their defense off the field or anything. We gave up about 550-575 against FSU and TAMU last season. Those felt like we just couldn't get a stop to save our lives, and this was 40% worse, against a good team, but hardly the national champs or Johnny Football.

789 yards.

No, that doesn't mean we're going to whip them, too. I won't get overconfident. My point is simply to open up a bottle of fine schaden and gulp the freude out of it. UNC gets the Nelson Muntz laugh this week.
    Keep in mind that after playing Liberty and Fresno State, UNC was already dead last in the ACC in total defense (427.5 yards a game) most points allowed (28.0 a game).

That was BEFORE East Carolina.

I think they will be chewed up this week at Clempson (which lost in OT to FSU, but found their quarterback)

After that, they get Virginia Tech a home. That's an absolute must win with games at Notre Dame, Georgia Tech at home, at Virginia and at Miami coming up next. Maybe Georgia Tech ... maybe Virginia (although they rarely win in C'ville)

This season could get away from them very quickly.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 09-24-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I hope they save some "season getting away from them" for the basketball team

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    They started last year something like 1-5 or 0-4 or something, although to be fair they had the hardest part of their schedule front-loaded.

Here, they are staggering out of ECU and have to go to Death Valley?!? With a hacked-off Clemson opponent?!? After giving up 70 points and almost 800 yards?!?!?

I can't believe that they cheated so brazenly just to have a team this bad. At least when Clemson cheated, they were dominant even when on probation.

You think Clemson wants to hang at least 71 on the Heels? I do.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    They started last year something like 1-5 or 0-4 or something, although to be fair they had the hardest part of their schedule front-loaded.

Here, they are staggering out of ECU and have to go to Death Valley?!? With a hacked-off Clemson opponent?!? After giving up 70 points and almost 800 yards?!?!?

I can't believe that they cheated so brazenly just to have a team this bad. At least when Clemson cheated, they were dominant even when on probation.

You think Clemson wants to hang at least 71 on the Heels? I do.
    Can't see why any ACC opponent would take it easy on the Heels. Sportsmanship/fair play? -- sorry, Heels, you showed us long ago how little that means to your players, coaches, administrators and 98% of your fans.

Fire away, Tigers. Fire at will.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Can't see why any ACC opponent would take it easy on the Heels. Sportsmanship/fair play? -- sorry, Heels, you showed us long ago how little that means to your players, coaches, administrators and 98% of your fans.

Fire away, Tigers. Fire at will.
    If only for all of the basketball beatings...

Clemson is 0 and whatever at the Dean Dome still.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Clemson is 0 and whatever at the Dean Dome still.
    Clemson's basketball 0-fer is not limited to the Dean Dome, they are 0 and whatever in Chapel Hill.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Clemson's basketball 0-fer is not limited to the Dean Dome, they are 0 and whatever in Chapel Hill.
    Clemson's first basketball loss in Chapel Hill -- 1926

Year of the so-called Helms National Championship -- 1924

Nice to see the ACC has retaken its rightful place as the worst of the power conferences. Thanks for the tease, Big 10.
    ACC is leading the way this week with 6 out of the 10 members of the Misery Index. At least the Big 10 has the #1 spot.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...mson/16006061/