Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The ACC: Week 4

The ACC: Week 4

Duke will crush Tulane, UNC will be upset by East Carolina, a couple other interesting non-conference games, blah blah whatever.

Here's the only thing I want to talk about: the college football national championship may be influenced by an internet meme. The FSU star quarterback is suspended for a half of the game against Clemson because he got up on a table in the student union and yelled something that the boards won't let me type, but go look it up on deadspin. Not hard to envision a scenario where this causes FSU to miss the playoffs (of course, it's still Clemson).

Combined with the Miami fake punt fainting goat thing (http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/...weve-ever-seen if you haven't seen it), this is the ACC's most absurd week of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    ...UNC will be upset by East Carolina...
    East Carolina is the favorite, North Carolina is the underdog!

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-.../east-carolina

The over/under is set at 66 so Vegas is predicting a 34-32 victory for the Pirates.
    Bob Green

While the FSU-Clemson game is the headliner -- and could indeed be impacted by Jameis Winston's suspension for one half, I think it's an extremely interesting week for the ACC.

For one thing, the schedule features three ACC-Big 10 games: Iowa at Pitt; Maryland at Syracuse and Miami at Nebraska. The ACC is 4-2 against the power conferences ...

I have the ACC probably winning six of 10 non-conference games: Tulane at Duke; Army at Wake Forest; Presbyterian at NC State; Maine at Boston College; Louisville at FIU; and Iowa at Pitt.

I rate one game an almost certain ACC loss: Virginia at BYU (of course, I thought Southern Cal at BC was a loss too)

I rate three games as tossups: UNC at ECU, Miami at Nebraska and Maryland at Syracuse.

Also, there is a second ACC game -- Georgia Tech at Virginia Tech -- the last six meetings between these two tams have been decided by six points or less. Also, until Duke broke the string last year, one of these two has won EVERY Coastal Division title since the league went to divisions.

Aside from the Duke game, my number one wish is that Syracuse beats the Twerps ... No. 2 is that ECU beats the Cheats ... No. 3 is Miami over the Huskers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-.../east-carolina

The over/under is set at 66 so Vegas is predicting a 34-32 victory for the Pirates.
    AARRGGHH!!!!

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/ecu/gra...-mast-logo.png
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Combined with the Miami fake punt fainting goat thing (http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/...weve-ever-seen if you haven't seen it), this is the ACC's most absurd week of all time.
    The best part is from the video at the bottom of the article, where the guy gets leveled.

Almost as strange as the barking inbound play:

http://youtu.be/HZ_VZyEKk1c

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The best part is from the video at the bottom of the article, where the guy gets leveled.

Almost as strange as the barking inbound play:

http://youtu.be/HZ_VZyEKk1c
    They don't have a good angle though.

http://i.imgur.com/N94qt2x.gif

what you don't see is the fact that the receiver was wide open, and the punter made a throw an average HS guy could make...25 yards was all he needed...and shorted it by like 10
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I have the ACC probably winning six of 10 non-conference games: Tulane at Duke; Army at Wake Forest; Presbyterian at NC State; Maine at Boston College; Louisville at FIU; and Iowa at Pitt.

I rate one game an almost certain ACC loss: Virginia at BYU (of course, I thought Southern Cal at BC was a loss too)

I rate three games as tossups: UNC at ECU, Miami at Nebraska and Maryland at Syracuse.
    I'd move both UVA-BYU and Army-Wake into the tossup category. Virginia has looked surprisingly good so far this season, and Army is actually a slight favorite at Wake (surprising to me too).

Nice catch, probably should have been able to guess that given how the two teams have looked so far.

ECU is a proper team. I don't think we could beat them in Greenville. UNC is going to get slaughtered.

Quote Originally Posted by Potato Head View Post
    ECU is a proper team. I don't think we could beat them in Greenville. UNC is going to get slaughtered.
    Y'all know what an optimist I am about Duke football.

ECU may be the best college team in the state.

And that does not speak ill of us.

But, we are still reigning state "champs." For the last 2 years, IIRC. NC is "Our State"/Cut Country, remember.

(you may well be right this year about the Pirates)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

love winning all these games, but really wish we'd schedule NCSU (ooc) and ECU every year, or at least once every couple years...heck even a rotation of NCCU Elon NCSU ECU would be cool

actually forget this. we should leave the ACC and make a carolina league

UNC
    Duke
    Wake
    NCSU
    ECU
    NCCU
    ELon
    App State
    Davidson

everyone plays everyone in football. double round robin in Bball leaving enough room for a big OOC slate

wouldn't work, but would be awesome
    April 1

Uva@byu

I'd move both UVA-BYU . . . into the tossup category. Virginia has looked surprisingly good so far this season . . . .

I know the transitive property is dangerous & all, but . . . . UVA lost to UCLA at home. UCLA came away with a 3-point win over Texas in Austin. BYU beat Texas in Austin by 34 points. And UVA@BYU (at Provo altitude) is a "toss-up"? Can't get on that train.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Virginia beat BYU last season in Charlottesville ... and Virginia is a better team now.

But so is BYU ... and I think the venue (and the altitude) will all work in BYU's favor.

My predictions were not based on the odds, but on my feelings. I think it's pretty certain that BYU will win ... and that Wake will beat Army.

I can see where somebody else might feel that both games are tossups.

PS I'd love to see Virginia upset BYU. Not only would it be good for the ACC, it would remove BYU from the ridiculous speculation that they could win one of the four spots in he playoffs by going undefeated against an undistinguished schedule.

You guys are right, "tossup" for UVA-BYU was too far. I'd say halfway between "tossup" and "almost certain loss."

UNC-CH opened as a 2 point favorite, meaning that over the past few days money has been flowing heavily in ECU's favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    UNC-CH opened as a 2 point favorite, meaning that over the past few days money has been flowing heavily in ECU's favor.
    Where is the game?

Where is the game?
    At ECU.

I can't think of a reason why UNC should be able to win this game, which means they probably will.

Pitt = ouch. Cuse = double ouch.

Hot Knife/Butter

and that may be giving to much credit to Carolina's defense. What offers less resistance than butter? ECU has 443 yards of total offense. At the half ...

Howard

Can we institute the same anti-jinx posting rule for football that we have adopted during hoops season?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block