Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I think it is for the '94 team. Mike Sobb mentioned that they will be on hand for the Tulane game.
    Good to know. I had seen the note about the '89 team elsewhere and wondered about it.

I think it is for the '94 team. Mike Sobb mentioned that they will be on hand for the Tulane game.
    It's interesting that former players are commenting on FB that it looks like the '89 helmet to them.

At least it's the right colors!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    It's interesting that former players are commenting on FB that it looks like the '89 helmet to them.

At least it's the right colors!
    If you want to check out the script helmet in action, take a look at this video from the TV show "Scrubs". Duke is playing GT at the 15 second mark. (Game was in 1999.) How many years did we use that design?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhFRTZ4uTRc

The '89 guys sported the script pretty well, too!

89Duke.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

If you want to check out the script helmet in action, take a look at this video from the TV show "Scrubs". Duke is playing GT at the 15 second mark. (Game was in 1999.) How many years did we use that design?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhFRTZ4uTRc

The '89 guys sported the script pretty well, too!

89Duke.jpg
    It seems as if it was used for most of the "modern era"!

In the late 70's we had really ugly gray helmets apparently.

In 1979 with the Red Wilson era, we moved to blue helmets with the Duke script.

White helmets with the script Duke were introduced in 1981. I believe this was at the behest of a certain offensive coordinator because he felt it was going to make it easier for the quarterback to spot receivers downfield and he planned to do a lot of passing.

http://www.amazon.com/DEVILS-1981-19.../dp/B00A00ZDHA

The almost new blue helmets were given to the club football team and were a big upgrade from what they had previously used.

Several things:

1. Devil in the Blue Dress, at the very least I'd have to look into going down to Nawlins via The Blue Devil Special as I've yet to visit this historic and unique city. Shame on me though as I had the opportunity long ago (pre-Katrina) to go with my wife to a conference there.

2. Not that I don't like the team's current helmet design (and variations), but I always really liked the Duke script with the subtle devil's tale emanating from the top of the 'D'. I thought the flowing script looked trés cool/modern. Ironically, although the design's pretty long in the tooth I still do. Not as timeless I admit as the classic Iron Duke 'D', but pretty cool nevertheless.

3. Provided that the 1994 team's being honored at the Tulane game, I suspect that (if he attends) one Robert Baldwin might just get a huge round of applause from the fans (and ex-teammates...especially offensive linemen!). Granted, he had a lot of help from the big guys up front, but what he did on his own breaking tackles and punishing would be tacklers was something this Duke fan won't soon forget. Current RB Jela Duncan reminds me of him at times.

From the game notes emailed today:
    • Bioventus serves as the official game sponsor of this week’s contest ... In addition, the Blue Devils will celebrate Throwback Day at Wallace Wade Stadium as Duke’s helmet-uniform combination commemorates the 25th anniversary of the program’s ACC Championship in 1989

It's wonderful to continue to honor the'89 team throughout the season. There are some marvelous events and accomplishments to celebrate in Duke football history and it's high time to do so!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It's wonderful to continue to honor the'89 team throughout the season. There are some marvelous events and accomplishments to celebrate in Duke football history and it's high time to do so!
    It's also nice to be making history as we celebrate it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It's also nice to be making history as we celebrate it.
    Absolutely!

For some historical perspective, here's a link to The Helmet Project. It's not 100% accurate, but pretty good. You have to click ACC and then go down to historic helmets to find Duke. I like that Duke used the Block D in the mid-seventies. It certainly feels right today.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    In the late 70's we had really ugly gray helmets apparently.
    That was one of the helmets under Mike McGee. Not terrible, IMO.

In 1979 with the Red Wilson era, we moved to blue helmets with the Duke script.
    Ehhh...not well liked. To me, the script felt (and is) just wrong.

White helmets with the script Duke were introduced in 1981. I believe this was at the behest of a certain offensive coordinator because he felt it was going to make it easier for the quarterback to spot receivers downfield and he planned to do a lot of passing.
    White helmets with blue script still felt, and feels, wrong. White with just numbers, a nod to the Murray days, would have been OK.

As you can see, I am not a fan of the script lettering.

http://www.amazon.com/DEVILS-1981-1984-Football-Helmet-STICKERS/dp/B00A00ZDHA

The almost new blue helmets were given to the club football team and were a big upgrade from what they had previously used.

Now about the train....The Crescent makes one northbound and one southbound trip per day. Following are departure times for the Crescent southbound:
    Greensboro 12:22A
    Charlotte 2:45A
    Atlanta 8:38A
    Birmingham 12:09P
    New Orleans 7:32P

If one purchases a sleeping accommodation (equivalent of first class), meals are included along with bottled water, coffee, fresh towels and bed linens, soap and shower amenities, daily newspaper. The attendants are pleasant and helpful. They take care of change over from day accommodations to night accommodations. The food is pretty good, some dishes reflecting a regional theme.

Socializing in the dining and lounge cars can be a lot of fun. (If we travel as a group, meal reservations or arrangements can be set up so we meet at meal time.)

Upon arrival in NOLA, those with sleeping accommodations are whisked along with their luggage directly to the cab stand. The station in NOLA is not far from the warehouse district and the Super Bowl... quick, easy cab ride to many fine hotels. Departure for the northbound run is around 7A. There's a lounge for first class passengers (sleeping accommodating). Breakfast is ready not long after the train is underway.

For those unfamiliar with train travel, sleeping compartments are not hotel rooms, but they are comfortable and quiet... seating by day, bed(s) by night. Electrical outlets are available.

FYI This train passes Bryant-Denny Stadium in the daytime, usually while you're in the dining car... be sure to sit on the west side of the aisle.
    I sent you a pm D w/ a BD. I'd like to get the info concerning the train trip for next season. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun. Jobe

Announcement from the Iron Dukes:
    Our Throwback Thursday post goes out to the 1954 Orange Bowl team and the 1994 Hall of Fame Bowl team who along with the Wallace Wade era 1950 team will be honored at this weekend's game for Former Players day!

Gameday Saturday.

The video on the 1989 team is worth watching.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Game Day! WHOOP!!!!!

It's going to be real interesting to see what transpires in regard to Shaun Wilson today...how do you followup last weekend's performance?! I'd love to see continued pressure from the defensive line on the other teams' quarterbacks. Here's hoping that Anthony is on target today from the start - can hardly wait until kickoff. We are Duke!!

Dez Johnson officially out for today. Jonathan Jones will start in his place.

I am getting the game here in Colorado on the MSG channel -- DirecTV # 634. Shhhh.... don't tell anyone.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Live stats for Duke/Tulane

Ugh, what unimaginative play calling. Six runs by the QB in seven plays -- gaining 75 yards and a TD.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    75 yard td drive- all yards on QB runs.